Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3/TH350 swap need help planning

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3/TH350 swap need help planning

New guy here, hope I dont ask to many previously asked questions. I have a 1971 Chevelle with a 307 (yuck) and I really want to put a 5.3L in that I found at a local junkyard. I plan on keeping the engine carbureted. Ive been scouring this website for months and I've found so much information that my head is spinning. So I have a few questions. Since most engine mounts move the engine forward, will I have to move the trans and trans mount forward to match it or is that what the flexplate spacer is for? I plan on keeping the TH350 for a while until I get enough money for a TKO 500/600. Ive also read on threads that some people have had to raise the rear of some transmissions to fit properly-would I have to do this? Last question- I've noticed some people had to cut the existing frame to make room for the A/C compressor- are there any ways around this? I do not want to cut my frame if I dont have to. Thanks for your help.
Chris
Old 10-25-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just went thru the mounts issue in my nova- the non setback mounts will put it about an inch of where it currently sits, so you will have to move crossmember, and probably lengthen the driveshaft.

the 1" setback mounts put the trans almost where it was before so you can use current driveshaft and mount position. it is very close to the firewall though.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

who makes the 1'' set back mounts?