Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TAH DAH!

Old 05-05-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

I still have to put the QA-1 shocks on. I screwed around with the front calipers and brackets tonight. Ultimately I will probably end up with some high dollar spindles but for now I think what I have will work nicely.

Just a few specs for what I have here: 2006 LS2 from a Cadillac CTS-v, Hybrid MN12 6 speed(same ratios and synchros as a Z06), 12 bolt posi traction with Superior axles, LS1 rear disc brakes, Baer eradispeed rotors, Pypes 3 inch stainless mandrel bent exhaust, Front control arms are cheapos with trw/moog ball joints, Grand Cherokee steering box, C5 Z06 wheels with hub adapters.

I am trying to get the rolling chassis together so I can get back to body and interior work. Next I need to order my AMD hood, install my drivers' side NOS door skin, and fit my rustfree GM fenders (thank god for that find). This is one of those low buck builds. Since I do all of my own labor I should be in this for less than $20K. Of course I have owned this car since 1994 so I would hate to add the real money I have in it from the 3 previous engines and transmissions and 2 previous rearends. You know the drill LOL.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:34 PM
Teching In

Looking awesome! Hope mine turns out this well.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,388 Likes on 877 Posts

Great project. You may want to think about the driveline angles. I see that you raised the engine to solve the tie-rod issue, but that makes the driveline angle problem worse. The low stance will also make the problem worse. When these cars are lowered the position of the pinion is higher than the output shaft of the transmission. The solution is to raise the back of the trans as high as possible. By raising the front of the engine, your setup will require the tailshaft to be raised even higher, but you will run into another problem; the driveshaft tunnel. Some people have actually cut the entire tunnel out and replaced it with another tunnel that is higher. Food for thought.

Andrew
Old 07-11-2010, 02:58 PM
TECH Resident

I raised the engine 1/4 of an inch and I did measure the drive line angles before I tok the body off the frame. I made a custom transmission tunnel and even cut the firewall up an extra inch. I have adjustable upper rear control arms so I could change the rear pinion angle at will. Thanks for the heads up though, worse case scenario I will have to cut the floor some more.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Great project. You may want to think about the driveline angles. I see that you raised the engine to solve the tie-rod issue, but that makes the driveline angle problem worse. The low stance will also make the problem worse. When these cars are lowered the position of the pinion is higher than the output shaft of the transmission. The solution is to raise the back of the trans as high as possible. By raising the front of the engine, your setup will require the tailshaft to be raised even higher, but you will run into another problem; the driveshaft tunnel. Some people have actually cut the entire tunnel out and replaced it with another tunnel that is higher. Food for thought.

Andrew
Good info
Old 02-20-2011, 04:59 AM
TECH Resident

Is this ride on the road?
Old 02-20-2011, 08:32 AM
TECH Resident

I wish it were on the road. I tend to get derailed by other projects (69 Hurst S/C Rambler) but I am back on it with fury. I have been buying parts though. I bought some KORE3 brake hoses, DSE wiper kit, fuel system parts (fittings and hoses), and yesterday I picked up a Vintage Air Gen IV sure fit system. I am to the point where I need to get some paint and body done before I go any further on the drivetrain.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:13 PM
TECH Resident

Judging by the chassis/engine it is gonna be a nice ride.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Very nice start!
Old 02-20-2011, 07:42 PM
TECH Resident

Thank you very much. I spent part of the day in the attic of my garage getting some parts back together that I removed from the car. Once the weather breaks I will be able to get some paint work done.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

I came up with a cheap solution for a steering shaft to connect my Jeep Cherokee steering box to the stock steering column. Assuming you already have the splined big block shaft. I took the stock big block steering shaft and removed the lower flange. I bought a Sweet steering joint (SWE401-51518) 3/4-30 spline to 1" 48 spline

I cleaned the splines on the steering shaft and slid the joint on and then slid it onto the steering box. I didn't slide it all the way on because I was planning on taking it right back off.

I haven't seen this done and was going to sell the steering shaft to finance a $275 aftermarket one. Glad I didn't cause all it cost me was a $40 Ebay steering joint.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

Finally and update. Lol. Prolly one of the best lookin chassises on here needs to be on the road. Is the process bout to start again.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:25 PM
Teching In

Any updates? I like the steering shaft solution!
Old 09-01-2011, 07:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i got u joints on both ends and got a collapsable steering shaft. my header clearance with the steering shaft was rubbing. with the collapsable shaft i put smaller diameter part of the rod at the box to give me more header clearance. i got all my stuff from summit. borgeson joints. no welding required. cut to fit shaft and drill 2 holes. i used a DD steering shaft.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BRG-014931/

i tried a bigger sweet joint at the column to the shaft and it wasnt machined correctly to fit the steering tube. they are recommended for racing applications and most of them are weld on. fyi
Old 01-12-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

My poor car has been languishing in the garage for a long time now. I got the AMC bug and bought a 70 Rebel Machine so I have been messing with that. I have a new shop to work on my Chevelle in now so I look forward to making up for lost time very very soon.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

Got me some C5 seats both are power

Old 03-04-2012, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bowtie70SS
Got me some C5 seats both are power

Tell us a little more about this install? I had been eyeing up a set for a while. How much work was it to get these in there?

Thanks and good to see you working on her again.

Dave
Old 03-05-2012, 09:26 PM
TECH Resident

I will put up more info about the install. I have the factory bucket seat mounts in my car. I plan on adapting the Vette seats to the original floor brackets. I had one of the seats next to a original one and the height was almost identical. The two rear bolt holes actually line up with the seats. I could use them that way and just make a bracket or modify the front. I am 6'6 though and I need to temporarily install the dash,column and console to make sure everything fits me well.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bowtie70SS
I will put up more info about the install. I have the factory bucket seat mounts in my car. I plan on adapting the Vette seats to the original floor brackets. I had one of the seats next to a original one and the height was almost identical. The two rear bolt holes actually line up with the seats. I could use them that way and just make a bracket or modify the front. I am 6'6 though and I need to temporarily install the dash,column and console to make sure everything fits me well.
Well i do believe I will be stealing this touch on my car as well my friend. if I beat ya to the install I will let you know on the bracketry.

Dave

Quick Reply: 70 Chevelle LS2 Melba Toast