Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lq4 swap in 2002 ss help

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry lq4 swap in 2002 ss help

i purchased a 2002 camaro ss from a local dealership about a week ago and the motor decided to take a dump on me already......i am looking into doing a full lq4 swap but i would like to know what the neccesities would be in doing the swap also i would like to get some good hp and tq out of the swap if anyone can help me out i would appreciate it
Old 10-26-2009, 11:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Transfer your heads, cam, intake, fuel rails/inj, oil pan, accessories to the lq4, drill/tap 1 hole for your alternator, reluctor wheel adapter harness, new timing set, oil pump and you should be good to go.

For more power add a cam/heads/exhaust with pushrods/valvesprings etc.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by letsrunem
Transfer your heads, cam, intake, fuel rails/inj, oil pan, accessories to the lq4, drill/tap 1 hole for your alternator, reluctor wheel adapter harness, new timing set, oil pump and you should be good to go.

For more power add a cam/heads/exhaust with pushrods/valvesprings etc.
where could i find everything i need? i would like to go ahead and do the cam pushrods and valve springs....would ls1 headers work on the lq4?
Old 10-26-2009, 11:52 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Basically what letsrunum said. But I would not swap the cams, the LQ4 and 2002 LS1 had the same cams. I don`t think I would swap the heads either. Most of the LQ4`s had 317 heads. which are basically LS6 ports with a slightly larger chamber. The motor is a bolt in except possibly having to drill the one hole for the alt bracket.

Avoid the 99-00 motors as they have a longer crankshaft and poor flowing cast iron heads.

Also the newer motors (I don`t have an exact year, seems to vary by model but started in 2003) have a gray connector for the Crank position sensor.....and are 58x Avoid those because that sensor will not work with your PCM and you would have to change the reluctor wheel on the crank to get everything to play well together.

Last edited by G-Body; 10-27-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

All external dimensions are identical for the lq4/LS1 (any heads/headers etc you could use on an LS1 will fit the lq4).

Pick one on the sponsors------------------------------------------------------>

I bought a lot of my stuff at SDPC as far as oil pump, gaskets etc. It's up to you where you want to get your cam from.

Here's a link for the crank reluctor adapter module:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-produ...er-module.html
Old 10-27-2009, 12:02 AM

All external dimensions are identical for the lq4/LS1 (any heads/headers etc you could use on an LS1 will fit the lq4).

Pick one on the sponsors------------------------------------------------------>

I bought a lot of my stuff at SDPC as far as oil pump, gaskets etc. It's up to you where you want to get your cam from.

Here's a link for the crank reluctor adapter module:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-produ...er-module.html
so what would you suggest as a good setup i.e cam heads pushrods valve springs i would like to be at about 425-450 whp also will the t56 trans bolt up with the lq4?...sorry im new to cheverolet and the f-body i just came from a honda hahaha (cant beat em join em!!!)
Old 10-27-2009, 12:03 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was wondering how long it was going to take for someone to make an electronic 58-24x adapter.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by platinump22
so what would you suggest as a good setup i.e cam heads pushrods valve springs i would like to be at about 425-450 whp also will the t56 trans bolt up with the lq4?...sorry im new to cheverolet and the f-body i just came from a honda hahaha (cant beat em join em!!!)
You're best off looking in the genIII internal section and researching what is going to be good for your needs as far as heads/cam goes. There are lots of options/combos to make good power. Also consider a custom cam.

T56 bolts up.

Nice move on switching from Honda.. My dd is a civic and I wouldn't dream of trying to make it fast.. they aren't made to go fast.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:24 AM

You're best off looking in the genIII internal section and researching what is going to be good for your needs as far as heads/cam goes. There are lots of options/combos to make good power. Also consider a custom cam.

T56 bolts up.

Nice move on switching from Honda.. My dd is a civic and I wouldn't dream of trying to make it fast.. they aren't made to go fast.
ok so could i do a ms3 cam and leave the stock lq4 heads? or what would i need to do?
Old 10-27-2009, 12:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

You'll need a good set of aftermarket heads to make ~450whp, depends on how much you want to spend. Trickflow or AFR if you have money to burn. In any case though I wouldn't run the 317 heads- too low of a CR.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Since you're new here I'd get familiar with all the forums on this site, because you'll have to make a lot of modifications for 450whp (gears, clutch?, torque converter?, tune, etc)

Quick Reply: lq4 swap in 2002 ss help