Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

67 Chevelle Wagon 6.0 project

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 67 Chevelle Wagon 6.0 project

Here are some pics of the start of a 67 wagon pro touring project. Got the car into the shop and proceed to strip it to the bare bones. Mocked up a LS engine and a 6 speed auto trans in it. The trans is huge, and required a big hole in the tunnel to get it in at the right elevation.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/339303/2107017

The drivetrain is a 1500 mile 2009 G8 motor and trans. I will be deleting the displacement on demand function and adding an aftermarket cam.

Next order of business was to get the tunnel trimmed out and a new one fabricated. I wanted to use the original G8 shifter, so I fabricated the new tunnel to accommodate it. I ended up raising the tunnel the entire length of the car for driveshaft clearance, as I was planning on going with Air Ride, but have since changed to standard spring suspension. I will fabricate a full length console to go on top of the tunnel. Then I got the body off the frame and mounted on the rotisserie. The car was a great Socal car with almost no rust, but the upper rear window channels were toast from failed sealer in the drip rails.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/339303/2104059

I fabricated some new upper window channels, and made the decision to shave the drip rails from the entire car rather then making new ones for the rear area. I really like the smooth look of the shaved rails. I left just enough of the rails up front, that they form a little drip edge under the roof line, so the water will not run behind the weatherstrip. Got the roof and driver's side quarter down to bare metal and primed with 2 coats of DP90 and SlickSand.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/339303/2106365

I am hoping to have the car ready for the Power Tour, but that may be unrealistic, given the amount of work to be done.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 10-27-2009, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Is this the tow vehicle for the Vette? What year is the fuelie? Which motor mounts are you using? That looks like the Caddy oil pan. Is it sitting below the front cross member?

I'm doing a '67 Chevelle L99/4L80E swap and have a '58 Vette.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like you have your work cut out for you. good luck
Old 10-27-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rpol78
Is this the tow vehicle for the Vette? What year is the fuelie? Which motor mounts are you using? That looks like the Caddy oil pan. Is it sitting below the front cross member?

I'm doing a '67 Chevelle L99/4L80E swap and have a '58 Vette.
Na, the fuelie drives everywhere under it's own power! It is a big-brake 58 fuelie, and we are just finishing up on it. It pretty much only lacks an interior and some wiring and it is done. My daily drivers are a 59 Vette with a tube chassis and a LS1, and a 65 Vette with a LS2.

I fabricated my own mounts, but they are similar in style to the BRP mounts. I wanted to get the height right on the mark, so I figured I could not go wrong with making my own.

The pan is a Caddy pan and it is exactly even with the bottom of the crossmember, and the tie rods just clear the pan.

I will post some pics of the mounts soon. I just finished plating them last night, and they look factory made.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 10-27-2009, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

excellent, i enhoy seeing the diy parts that look factory
Old 10-27-2009, 03:39 PM
TECH Resident

Keep us posted John, can't weight to see the finished product.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:36 PM
12 Second Club

Jeez, another build thread to follow. For those of you that don't know this guy, he does some beautiful builds, John, keep posting some pics if you don't mind.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

Unhappy

Looks good ,now I wish I would have kept my 67 chevelle wagon
Old 10-28-2009, 08:25 AM
TECH Regular

The passenger side quarter was the only real damage on the car. There must have been over a gallon of filler in the quarter! I spent a fair amount of time pulling it back out to acceptable condition, but after standing back and looking at it for a while, I decided to replace the quarter. They do not make wagon quarters, so I bought a 66 El Camino quarter and cut it down to fit. Luckily, all the curves are right. I also replaced the outer wheelhouse.

I cut the old quarter off and blasted all the inner structure. I then primed all blasted metal with 2 coats of DP90 epoxy primer, as well as the rear of the new quarter. After hours of seam welding, I ended up with a pretty good looking quarter. I had to seam the quarter below the window since the Elky quarter did not go all the way to the pinch weld. The lines on the repro quarter are not a sharp as the OEM, so I will have to spend some time with the filler and longboard sharpening up the lines.
I also started filling all unused holes in the firewall and filling the seams. The heater box opening was closed up, as I am going with a completely hidden Vintage Air Heat/AC system.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/339303/2108306

Regards, John McGraw

Last edited by John McGraw; 10-28-2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:49 AM
Teching In

that will be a really cool car when it is finished,i have a 72 wagon that i am installing a 570hp ls1 in this winter,alot of people kind of turn the nose up when you say station wagon till they see it,you will turn alot of heads.i am very proud of my wagon and will never get sell it.I have removed the 22inch wheels and now have 20inch wheels for it,rides better.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

That is a way cool project you have going there! Despite getting flack for it I have always had a thing for wagons and a 67 chevelle wagon is one of the best. Good luck with the project and I will keep my eyes peeled for updates!
Old 10-29-2009, 06:15 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beach Dude
Jeez, another build thread to follow. For those of you that don't know this guy, he does some beautiful builds, John, keep posting some pics if you don't mind.
I dont know this guy, but i do KNOW that a great job is being done on that wagon. I like typical muscle cars, i really like non-conventional muscle cars, wagons and small cars. Keep up the good ... i mean GR8 work. Safe to assume you built the Vettes huh.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Gotta love a longroof - Ive always liked wagons have had 69,72 and now a 64-building with my son-plans are for a ls1 4l60e and staying a rat-wagon - Ill be watching you build this one.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the kind comments guys! A lot of guys look down their noses at wagons, including a lot of my friends. They just can't figure why I would build a wagon!

The weather has been nice, so I got the last of the metal work primed with DP90 epoxy. We got the chassis completely stripped of all the suspension pieces and set it up on the drive and blasted it. The car was a rust-free SoCal car, so we blasted the chassis with sugar sand. It came out looking like it had been glass bead blasted. There was almost no texture to the metal, and it looks like it was built yesterday. There just ain't any substitute for a clean rust free frame to start with! I beat out some "jack dents" in the frame and shot the frame with 2 coats of DP90 epoxy primer followed by 2 coats of PPG DCC single-stage urethane black. I am real pleased with the way it came out, a little too glossy, but I can live with it.

You can see where I notched the corner of the crossmember for some additional pan clearance. This allowed me to drop the engine almost another 3/4".

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/339303/2112216

Regards, John McGraw
Old 10-30-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Car looks good man!
Old 11-02-2009, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

Cool project. I am partial to LSx wagons, too.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up Cool!

I've got a 67 Chevelle wagon I've had for over 10yrs. Came with that I6..

I put a standard SBC in it years ago and then sold the car to a friend.

Several years ago bought it back and sold the SB/700R.

I figured It's time to finish it up and do it the right way.

I just picked up a LS1 for it and 4L60E. Going to be setting it down in there

in the next few weeks. My wagon is Aquamarine Met.

Yours is going to turn out Fantastic! I had to shave my drip rails too since

it rusted up there.. Was that comon?

Where do I find interior stuff for the Wagons? Rear bumper?

Rear door/liftgate handle? Some of that stuff has me stumped.

Great build I'll be watching and taking notes.. swapping stories!

I love Wagons .. I don't know why and my buddy's and espeicially my wife

have always given me $hit about owning it and loving the darn thing
~Scott
Old 12-04-2009, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love wagons...nice
Old 12-15-2009, 11:17 PM
Teching In

nice wagon i have a 65 and wouldnt trade it for anything
Old 09-26-2010, 09:09 AM
Teching In

Hey john!!

Gotta love the old Chevelle Longroofs...

I am currently building a Pro-Touring '67 Chevelle Wagon...I have spent the last 2 1/2 years making the conversion from a 4 door to a 2 door using El Camino doors...Man what a (BLEEP) that was...I threw in a home-built 302 Z-28 style motor and an M21 to drive it for a while...But now with the Lsx motors becoming VERY VERY affordable, I am on the hunt for one with a 6 speed to update the drivetrain...But before I worry about that I still owe $5000 to Art Morisson for one of their Max-G C5 Vette frames I ordered 2 months ago...

Take a peek at: http://www.chevelles.com/wagons/66wagon.html It's at the bottom of the page...

Awesome car John, I will be following this build so how 'bout an update?...

Peace and LONGROOFS FOREVER!!!

Quick Reply: 67 Chevelle Wagon 6.0 project