Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New project...2001 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 08:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New project...2001 Mustang

So it turns out the car is an '01 not '99, oh well. I've been lurking here gathering info for a couple of weeks now, but need some help.

1.Can someone tell me(or post link) how to keep factory gauges working?
Leaning toward the 6.0L instead of 5.3 with a TH700r4.
2.Also want to keep A/C
3.The car is a 6 cyl.,how much power can the rear take? I'm looking to make 450 Hp at the wheels.
Any help would be appreciated, also post websites that may also be of help.
Thanks!
Old 11-01-2009, 10:15 AM
TECH Regular

7.5 rearends are useless (v6) but you're welcome to leave it in until it snaps, or swap a cheap GT rearend of the same bodystyle (99-04), I'm sure you can find a tach adapter to keep the stock gauges going. Shouldn't be too difficult.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:51 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by themachasy
7.5 rearends are useless (v6) but you're welcome to leave it in until it snaps, or swap a cheap GT rearend of the same bodystyle (99-04), I'm sure you can find a tach adapter to keep the stock gauges going. Shouldn't be too difficult.
I was thinking the same thing about the rear, maybe just torture it till it gives up! Forgot to mention I will be using the AJE k-member, I can use the stock suspension with that unit, correct?

Anyone know of any Mustang specific website? I'm kind of an information junkie. This is my first venture into the LSX world.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:00 AM
Launching!

ive been researching over a year. Your going to find there isnt much useful information for mustang specific swap. Il do a detailed write up and picture build on mine.

aje k member with coil spring bracket. to use stock suspension.

Stand alone wiriing harness from one of the many companies offering them

autometer guage cluster. looks nice and have more meaningful guages than stock as well.

an auto 4l60e is going to be the easiest transmission for the swap

youll have to have the driveshaft made

id upgrade rear ends as well

new ac lines for ac to work

kooks and some others have long tube headers. or buy 351 ford headers and put on the flanges for an ls motor.

dont just search mustangs search and read through all the conversions alot of the info works for any car.

good luck it wont be cheap
Old 11-02-2009, 07:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99MUSTANG5.3L
I was thinking the same thing about the rear, maybe just torture it till it gives up! Forgot to mention I will be using the AJE k-member, I can use the stock suspension with that unit, correct?

Anyone know of any Mustang specific website? I'm kind of an information junkie. This is my first venture into the LSX world.
Good luck, it doesn't have a limited slip differential. Your first drive you are either going to need a ride home or your going to spin one tire through all the gears.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TrikeMike
Good luck, it doesn't have a limited slip differential. Your first drive you are either going to need a ride home or your going to spin one tire through all the gears.
HAHA, I was thinking the same, I'll have my buddy follow me with my truck and tow strap just in case! Only nice thing about the rear is it has disc brakes w/ aftermarket rotors and calipers.

Quick Reply: New project...2001 Mustang