Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another A/C compressor question....

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another A/C compressor question....

Albeit a little different than most. I'm in the process of putting a 5.3L in my Jeep cCherokee and there isn't enough room for the stock A/C compressor. Noval conversions offers one that places a compressor high on the passenger side. Problem is, I need that spot for my onboard air compressor.

So has anyone found a smaller, more compact compressor that they've been able to mount in the stock GM location?

Anyone have a link that shows the physical dimensions of some of the smaller compressors that might work?

FWIW,
I'm in the HVAC biz, so I'm familiar with A/C systems, just not well versed in automotive compressor retrofits.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A place called Kwik Performance makes another kit for the AC (top passenger too) but they list the following as compressor options.

A Sanden air conditioner compressor, part number 4514 (SD5 series), 4522 (SD5 series),
4665 (SD7 series), or 9537 (508 series). In addition, because of the wide variety of Sanden
compressors, other part numbers with the same pulley placement will work. Contact Sanden
for other options.
I don't know about their size, but it may be a starting point.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:30 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FrankZ
Albeit a little different than most. I'm in the process of putting a 5.3L in my Jeep cCherokee and there isn't enough room for the stock A/C compressor. Noval conversions offers one that places a compressor high on the passenger side. Problem is, I need that spot for my onboard air compressor.

So has anyone found a smaller, more compact compressor that they've been able to mount in the stock GM location?
Frank, check with Mark Campbell at Street & Performance,Mena,Ark. He has a kit with the mounting bracket, idlers and Sanden compressor that mounts in the stock, lower passenger side location. In the current S&P catalog I have, it shows the overall width to be 10½" from the centerline of the crank bolt to the outer edge of the compressor pulley. Hope this helps. BTW, the S&P catalog is available online at the S&P site.

Mike