Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 in 67 vette

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 in 67 vette

Looking to install a Ls1 into my 67 corvette coupe,or a LT1 but would like some input on the conversion and where to purchase the conversion parts.would like to know what i need for motor mounts,if the LS will bolt up to my original bellhousing and muncie 4speed etc.Im fairly mechanical but not a rocket scientist and old school and know the new stuff is the way to go but unsure of the unknown would also be purchasing a complete engine and would like to know what it takes to power the computer once the harness is installed? Help

Dave
Old 11-05-2009, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by redsplitwindow
Looking to install a Ls1 into my 67 corvette coupe,or a LT1 but would like some input on the conversion and where to purchase the conversion parts.would like to know what i need for motor mounts,if the LS will bolt up to my original bellhousing and muncie 4speed etc.Im fairly mechanical but not a rocket scientist and old school and know the new stuff is the way to go but unsure of the unknown would also be purchasing a complete engine and would like to know what it takes to power the computer once the harness is installed? Help

Dave
FYI~ (for your information), This request will be ignored because it's been asked 908237098532534 times. Search, and all your questions have been answered
Old 11-05-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave . I'm not to familair with vette swaps but I know guys have done it. you need to research oil pan and mounts to start with and find a place for your ecm. I would lean toward an ls than an lt.- I've made a few mistakes on my swap but have learned a ton of stuff on this site and would have never been able to do it without the info on here.the best thing to get answers around here is to ask specific questions , do you have a budget or a time frame?you can look through the " stickys " on the top of this page and do searches as well.I just started to drive my 67 chevelle/ls2 after about 4 years ,IT WAS WORTH THE WAIT . JOHN
Old 11-05-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh yeah, welcome to the site
Old 11-06-2009, 02:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

A lot of C3s have been converted. Check this out:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...-their-c3.html
Old 11-06-2009, 07:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by redsplitwindow

Dave
Dave,
I just put an LS2 in my 65 vette this year. It is an LS2 out of a 2005 Vette. The Oil pan on that specific motor just cleared the stock vette steering. I used Motor Mounts from Street Shop which seemed to put the motor in the correct location, close to stock, not sure if it was exactly the stock location, but close I think. I upgraded my transmission to a TKO600, so I cant help you with the bellhousing question. Speed Hound is another shop that helped me put together the fuel system. Both of those shops were very helpful in answering questions.

I sent the computer and harness to speartech to have both reworked.
Very easy to wire up, everything that was not obvious was labeled for an easy install.

Make sure you run your electric fan circuit seperate from everything else.

Also, another great resourse is forums.corvetteforum.com There is some helpful info over there, in both the C2 and C3 sections. Hope this helps you.
let me know if you have any questions, I will try to help if I can.

Matt
Old 11-06-2009, 09:29 AM
Launching!

Default Corvette swap

A few questions for Matt.

I'm looking to do a similar swap.

L92 into a 65 vette.

What headers did you use?
Did you use the LS2 accessory drive or the F-body?
Did you have to modifiy the heater inlets and outlets on the water pump?
Any pics of your engine compartment?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 11-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JIMB
A few questions for Matt.

I'm looking to do a similar swap.

L92 into a 65 vette.

What headers did you use?
Did you use the LS2 accessory drive or the F-body?
Did you have to modifiy the heater inlets and outlets on the water pump?
Any pics of your engine compartment?

Thanks,

Jim
Jim,

So that there is no confusion keep in mind that I am referring to an LS2 out of a 2005 Vette. Other years could be differnt as far as oil pan, accessory drives, etc.

I used the Exhaust manifolds off of a 2003 vette. They worked with my "Z" bar with just a little grinding for clearance. I was told that the 2005 manifolds would work, but I suspect that was using a differnt "Z" bar, maybe one from a big block would work, I am not sure. If you go this route make sure you get the exhaust flanges if you buy the manifolds as they are hard to find, at least they were 6 months ago.

Accessories from the stock LS2 all fit with the following exceptions:

-I did not try to use the AC compressor, so I am not sure if that woudl fit or not

-I had to purchase a smaller diameter power steering pulley as the stock one hits where the A Arms bolt to the frame. I purchased one from Street and performance, but I think you can get one from Summit for less money that could be machined down if you have the tools to do that. Also remember to get the next size smaller serp. belt as the accessories may squeal using the original belt with the smaller pulley

- I changed the heater outlets, but looking back now I don't think I had to. I think this year/model LS2 might have a little different water pump than some of the other years? Not sure but I think I could have gotten away without changing them. . .

-I will try to post some pictures this afternoon if I can get to it.

Matt
Old 11-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Default Pictures for Jim as promissed

Not sure if these pics will help but here are the links:

Engine:

Exhaust/Zbar:

Power Steering Pump:

Water Pump Hoses:

Let me know if you need anything else,
Matt
Old 11-06-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 216 Posts

Default L92 swap

Many thanks for the reply. I'm on my home PC now.

It looks like the motor mounts moved the engine back up to the firewall. Did you have to modify the trans tunnel for the TKO 600?

If you had to guess would the LS7 exhaust manifolds clear the Z bar?

Thanks for the pics. Did you use a stock power steering or the Jeep or the Borgesen box?

I've done a few LS swaps but not a Corvette yet.

Jim
Old 11-06-2009, 10:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TurboBandit
FYI~ (for your information), This request will be ignored because it's been asked 908237098532534 times. Search, and all your questions have been answered
Yes this request will be ingored

that makes sense.

This will be a cool build!
Old 11-06-2009, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1 TJ
Many thanks for the reply. I'm on my home PC now.

It looks like the motor mounts moved the engine back up to the firewall. Did you have to modify the trans tunnel for the TKO 600?

If you had to guess would the LS7 exhaust manifolds clear the Z bar?

Thanks for the pics. Did you use a stock power steering or the Jeep or the Borgesen box?

I've done a few LS swaps but not a Corvette yet.

Jim
Jim,

No modifications were needed to the trans tunnel or firewall. I purchased the TKO from Classic Motorsports. Shifter lined up where it should be. I had to extend the transmission mount that came with their kit about a half inch or so. So depending on which brand engine mount you use you might have to modify your transmission mount.

Not really sure about the LS7 manifolds. But you can find used C5 and C6 manifolds for pretty cheap. I got my C5 manifold for around $40, grinded some metal off of the bottom side and it worked for me.

I used both steering systems with the new motor. I used the stock system for about a month, then upgraded to the Bourgeson kit. I never "trusted" the stock unit for some reason. I am extremely happy with the bourgeson unit.

Keep in mind that when I said the 2005 Vette LS2 oil pan cleared the stock steering, it was only by fractions of an inch. If you were to use different motor mounts the steering ram might contact the oil pan. In my case it didn't, but it was very close. If you go with the bourgeson unit you will not have that issue since the ram is not used. I like the feel of the new unit, I think it is work the money, and is a pretty easy install.

One more thing. With the c2s you should keep an eye on the space between the power brake booster and the cylinder head. It was very close in my swap. I had to trim some of the plastic engine cover to clear the booster.

Let me know if you need any other info, I check back every now and then, but usually not every day.

Matt
Old 11-07-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 216 Posts

Default Corvette swap

Thanks again.

Jim

Quick Reply: LS1 in 67 vette