Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 swap into 79 wiring questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 swap into 79 wiring questions

Alright guys got a couple of questions. So I am looking at doing a LS1 in my 79 camaro well not only am I doing drivetrain but I am looking at doing the whole interior out of a 98 camaro, so I have a wiring harness from a 98. Wich from what I understand 98's are alot harder to tune so here is myquestions:

Is it possible to take a 98 wiring harness for a car and use with a newer drivetrain and ecm to make tuning easier? I am looking at using the whole wiring setup out of the 98 from dash harness to engine harness. If its not possible to use a differnt ECM on a 98 harness can I use like a 98 engine bay harness with a newer dash harness? If I do that will it still plug right into the 98 dash?

Also I know I am going automatic, and I have been thinking 4l80e is the way to go is this a good transmission I plan on throwing a supercharger on there but not sure what brand yet or style I do know I want to run lower boost levels arounf maybe 8 psi

Mainly I am curious about the wiring part of things right now.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:40 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You can repin the 98 harness to work with a 99-02 PCM. It is pretty straight forward. You can search this site for the pinout diagrams and differences. Regarding the 4L80E, remember that you will have to update the tune for that trans as well as add an additional VSS to the harness to operate the transmission.

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 10-31-2012, 12:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any update on your conversion?

Quick Reply: LS1 swap into 79 wiring questions