Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 in a 87 grand national

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 06:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 in a 87 grand national

I am about ready to finally put my 5.3 in my GN how ever i cant remeber anything about this and have a few questions about wireing

first is the Drive by wire. I dont want to use it i have the stock harness and cpu from the silverado truck. do i need to use the DBW to use this cpu.

second how do is how do i control the ignition on this i have the harness which plugs into all the engine componets and thats it. i was woundering how to turn the ignition on and off the starter i have a manuel buton for.

third is where and how do i wire in a DLC ? if anyone has wiring diagrams on the ignition stuff or has any USEFULL input reply otherwise i dont need to know how much of an idiot you think i am
Old 11-09-2009, 09:18 PM
TECH Regular

Can't help you with any of your problems, but if you do decide to get rid of the DBW and have the gas pedal for the truck, I'll buy it off you. I have an adjustable one but it doesn't look like it will fit under my Monte dash and am looking for a non-adjustable.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:25 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What year is the engine? If it is a 24x setup, you can use a 411 PCM to run the drive by cable. I dont believe you can use a Green/Blue PCM to run drive by cable. You can either modify the silverado harness to accomodate drive by cable or go aftermarket. Regarding ignition, when you rework your harness or get an aftermarket one, you will be connecting constant battery power as well as switched power. When the switched power is killed (by key turning off) the engine will shut off. DLC is straight forward but again depends on what year the engine is. I have diagrams. Let me know.

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 11-09-2009, 11:19 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check the PCM section. There is a list of blue/green PCMS with the IAC drivers. Most of the green/blue PCM`s do not have the drivers for the IAC, so they can only be used for DBW TB`s.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Launching!

What mounting plate are you using ? S&P said on GN you have to switch the motor mount around to get it in

Quick Reply: 5.3 in a 87 grand national