Sponsored by:

PROJECT: LS1 RX-7 Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default PROJECT: LS1 RX-7 Build

BUILD INFO:

The donor Car is a 98 Trans Am LS1 4l60E (Auto). I was looking for an auto since I have a bad left hip but to make it more enjoyable I am installing a pretty trick paddle shift set up. More to come on that in the future.

The LS1 will be mildly modified and should be enough to keep me happy for at least one season.

RECIPIENT:

The LS1 is going into my 1993 RX7 which has about 34K miles (56K kms) on it. The car ran perfect and strong so I was able to sell the motor and tranny for good money.

DONOR:

Here is the donor. It was bought from a local guy who bought it from someone on this board.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Launching!

STRIPPING OF THE TRANS AM (As an F-Body fan this was not easy for me to do)

In the air draining all the fluids and disconnecting crap...

Engine bay with everything out of the way so we can drop the cradle.

Cradle unbolted so lifting the car on the hoist while the cradle stays on the floor. Raise the body by a couple of inches at a time and check to see if anything is still connected or catching on something.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Launching!

Powder coated the valve covers and the MAF...

Old 11-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Launching!

Comp Cams 918 Valve Spring install:

Since a cam is going in a had to upgrade the springs and pushrods....

Here is a pic of one of the heads with the valve cover off:

Here are the rockers and pushrods removed.

The head with the rockers and pushrods removed...

New springs...

In order for the valves not to fall in the Cyl when you remove the springs you have to force compressed air into each cyl through the sparkplug socket. The air basically pins the valvs closed so they dont drop. Here it is set up in the first cyl...

Here is a picture of the valve spring compressor hooked up to one of the stock valve springs. The first two springs have already been swapped out for the new stronger springs.

Here is one of the stock springs, retainer and locks...

Repeat for all 16 springs.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:22 PM
11 Second Club

lookin good man! cant wait to see it when its done! that rx7 looks clleeeeeeean
Old 11-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Launching!

CAM, TIMING CHAIN & OIL PUMP INSTALL:

After buying the 3 jaw puller I was able to get the balancer off…

Front cover off…

Next came time to remove the oil pump. I removed the bolts and tried to remove it like I read to do but it would not budge. Quick chat with my buddy who helps me with my projects and stupid me didn’t remove the oil pick-up. As a result I had to remove the oil pan. This meant lifting the motor.

Removed most of the bolts on the oil pan at this point. Enough for me to be able to reach in and unbolt the pick-up at the pump. 1st pic is of the old pump, 2nd pic is with pump removed…

Now that the pump is removed I can remove the upper timing gear by removing the 3 bolts. Before doing that though I had to align the timing marks on the gears.

Under that is the cam retainer. Basically just a plate held in by 4 bolts that holds the cam in place. Once that is done I turn the cam around a few times which pushes up the lifters cathing them on a plastic roller-lifter retainer. This is a cool feature of the LSx series motor. Once that is done I carefully slide the old cam out…

New cam (Texas Speed and Performance 228R cam)…

Here is the new cam going in (sort of). After this picture though I noticed something and had to remove it and put it back in correctly since I was putting it in backwards. LOL

Here is a pic of the new Melling oil pump and the Cloyes LS2 timing chain on the left.

And finally here is a pic with the new cam, LS2 timing chain and Melling high pressure oil pump installed…

Old 11-10-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What was wrong with the trans am your using for the donor car? Looks like it just needed some body work. Rx7s with ls1s seem to be a popular swap so best of luck with it.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FiFdYnUtz
lookin good man! cant wait to see it when its done! that rx7 looks clleeeeeeean
Thanks. I figure another couple of months before it is ready to fire up. Just in time for 10 feet of snow. LOL

Originally Posted by z28bryan02
What was wrong with the trans am your using for the donor car? Looks like it just needed some body work. Rx7s with ls1s seem to be a popular swap so best of luck with it.
The Trans Am had more damage than it looks in the pics. Not to say it couldnt have been fixed but it was right on the edge of being worth it or not.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:32 PM
Launching!

IMPROVED RACING ROAD RACE BAFFLE:

Installed the road racing baffle in the oil pan and put the motor back together...

Here is some info on the baffle...

http://www.improvedracing.com/produc...17672c71593f42

I have the old style but it should work great.

Comparo...

In the pan...

Motor all put back together...

And finally we worked on gutting the Trans Am some more. Here is about 1/2 of the wiring we took out. Swapping all of this over to the RX-7 is gonna be fun. LOL

Old 11-10-2009, 09:39 PM
Launching!

Quick Release Steering Wheel

This was not as easy as it seems. The hub kept hitting the steering surround so I had to have it machined. Had to put in a resistor so the airbag warning system would not go off. Also had to hook up the horn and rewire the cruise control which was on the stock steering wheel. Not sure where I will mount the cruise control buttons but I will deal with that later. Hell I might not even install cruise.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:46 PM
Launching!

DRIVETRAIN

Headers installed…

Here is the fun part. Getting the motor/tranny into the RX-7. I am going to leave out a LOT of the details but you guys wouldn’t be interested in them anyway. Here we go.

Stock Subframe still in the car...

We decided to drop the subframe rather than put the motor in from the top.

Starting to remove everything needed to drop the subframe...

Like magic the subframe is out of the car...

My buddy removing suspension parts from he stock subframe...

New Hinsons Super Car FD LS1 Subframe...

New subframe with the suspension parts swapped onto it...

Subframe bolted on to the engine...

Okay so now we had to figure out a way to be able to move the motor and tranny around so we can line it up correctly when lowering the car. What better way than a dolly, a steel wheel and some wood. LOL This was not a good idea but we really had no other option and it ended up working fine.

After taking our time and lowering the car inch by inch we were able to bolt in the subframe from underneath the car..

Next was time to install the tranny brace. You can see it in the middle of this picture with the bolt sticking out the middle of it...

Next we had t install the driveshaft and the torque arm. This was a royal pain in the *** trying to get everything lined up. In fact the torque arm still hits all along the tranny tunnel. I am doing some research right now and it looks like this is common. Time to get out the BFH and move the tranny tunnel a bit.

And finally here it is in the car...

Last edited by NTIMD8; 11-10-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:53 PM
Launching!

OIL PRESSURE SENDING UNIT

I had to get an RX-7 oil pressure sending unit to go on the LS1 motor. There is a fitting just over the oil filter that I took off and tapped it by 1/8 NPT to fit the sending unit on. Problem is it would have ended up hitting the header so I had to buy some adapters...

Lots of room....

Old 11-10-2009, 10:03 PM
Launching!

This post brings us up to date in terms of where I am on the build...

EXHAUST FABRICATION

This was very time consuming. Lots of trial and error, cutting, welding test fitting. Took about 8 hours of work to get everything just right.

Here are most of the parts...

Tacking everything into place...

Unbolt it in order to weld it all together...

Time to make the Cat-back portion...

Here is the system from front to back. We still need weld the cat back all together and then remove it all and paint it with some high temp black paint. Then install the tip (3.5" Dolphin Tail Tip).

Tip cut and welded on...

Then applied some high-temp paint...

Old 11-10-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your project is going to be great. I've been a huge RX7 gen 1 and 3 fan since '78 when my dad brought one home. I got a little queasy when I read you only had 35k miles on the gen3, but i keep telling myself its all about driving the car you like rather than collecting and letting it sit in the garage.

have you considered a body mount torque arm? Might not be needed with such a light car.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:45 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Love these builds. One of the greatest looking cars combined with one of the greatest engines ever built. Awesome...
Old 11-10-2009, 10:46 PM
10 Second Club

this is an awesome swap. im new to site but cars have been my life. i was a service writer at a mazda dealer here and we replaced those junk rotary motors everyday with less than 30k on em!!!!!!!! i currently have a 90 iroc with ls1. hoping for 10.50s this weekend. good luck with the details. btw, what kind of power will that rear end handle?
Old 11-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SSpeedracer
Your project is going to be great. I've been a huge RX7 gen 1 and 3 fan since '78 when my dad brought one home. I got a little queasy when I read you only had 35k miles on the gen3, but i keep telling myself its all about driving the car you like rather than collecting and letting it sit in the garage.

have you considered a body mount torque arm? Might not be needed with such a light car.
I was reading a post made by one of the first guys who ever swapped a V8 into a 3rd gen. The guy actually got death threats. LOL Some people.

I bought this car knowing that I was going to drop an LS1 into it. I was trying to blow my engine and kept throwing mods at it. It was running low 12's at 116mph and the god dam thing wouldnt let go. The day I sold it the motor and tranny were still perfect. LOL

Originally Posted by imola740i
what kind of power will that rear end handle?
Depends on what I put it through. I will never run slick so I figure I will be okay with 400rwhp but you never really know. After I do heads I think I will be pushing it. Some stock rear end vettes hold up to 600hp and others let go at stock power levels. It's a crap shoot I guess.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Teching In

keep it coming, I did my ls2 rx7 conversion a year or two ago. fun car, i dont drive it everyday, I need my license. but everytime i do, oh boy... if you want the stock rx7 shifter, i think i have one thats an automatic. i put my motor in from the bottom too, with the headers on etc. i put the gto dash cluster in the car along with the bcm, and hooked up the gas tank sending unit,
Old 11-11-2009, 07:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is one clean FD and nice build thread with clear pictures. A LS swapped FD is my dream vehicle.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GN240Z
keep it coming, I did my ls2 rx7 conversion a year or two ago. fun car, i dont drive it everyday, I need my license. but everytime i do, oh boy... if you want the stock rx7 shifter, i think i have one thats an automatic. i put my motor in from the bottom too, with the headers on etc. i put the gto dash cluster in the car along with the bcm, and hooked up the gas tank sending unit,
Nice! Do you have any pictures? I plan on using the trans am shifter under the current shifter boot using an adapter so that I can run my 5 speed shift **** on the f-body shifter. If that doesnt work out I may just contact you for the shifter though.

Originally Posted by camar0corey
That is one clean FD and nice build thread with clear pictures. A LS swapped FD is my dream vehicle.
Thanks man!

Quick Reply: PROJECT: LS1 RX-7 Build