Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with ls1 mustang will not start!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with ls1 mustang will not start!!!!

so im waiting on my hp tuners program to arrive and i have everything else where it should crank and run
i motor spins but will not start
i know its getting fuel
i think the coils are not getting power to them
i was told the red wire going into the coils was power in and drivers and passenger side have no power on that wire with the key on and no power with the engine cranking over
the vats is still in the computer as i havent got the tuner to delete it yet but i was also told that it would crank and run for a few seconds before it killed the motor
any ideas why they would not be getting power
please help!
Old 11-11-2009, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

I had the same problem, and it was the vats. If you have the key of the car that the engine came out of, measure the resistance on the pill and then go to radio shack and match it with some of their resistors. That is what I had to do. If you dont have the key, you can search for the different measurements and try one by one. It is time consuming, but at least youll get to hear it run.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Make sure you caught the right wire, I think its 12v switched for the coil. When I fist did my setup I caught 12v switched, BUT when you turned the key to crank it the wire went neutral there for it wouldnt fire the coils while spinning the starter.

if you think that might be the case just jump the wire to a 12v hot and it should fire.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Great suggestion Brandon. I have seen that alot where power gets killed during cranking because switched/keyed power was coming from an 'accessory' source and not an 'ignition' source. By the way, regarding the vats, I am not sure what getting the correct resistor will do as typically the voltage drop created by the resistor in the key is interpreted by a BCM which generates a 50Hz signal to the PCM. If you arent running the BCM I dont believe that will work.

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 11-15-2009, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

thanks guys just thought id let you know it was the ignition power
i took a jumper wire straight from the switch and tried it and the thing started right up.......... It was music to my ears!
i could tell the vats was killing it because just after start up it would die but
now im going to fix that more permanent and my hp tuners is scheduled to be here next week hopefully i can figure that thing out and it will sit there and run
thanks guys!!!!!!