Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another A-Body Going Sideways !

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Another A-Body Going Sideways !

I was at the Fall Good Guys show over the weekend at Pleasanton, Ca. They have had the Autocrossing Event for the 2nd time now. I was unable to make the 1st one earlier this year, but was able to get my Chevelle there this year.

I did ok but was a bit off the pace of the top car, but again I was not really setup for it (I've got other cars for Autocrossing). My biggest problem was that I don't have a quick ration Steering box and I that had me really working hard at the wheel ! LOL.. Also with a Bench Seat...I didn't have any side support to help keep me in place.. one of the pictures you can see me really leaning into the turn !. But it was fun !

Here are a few shots...

There was also another G-Body Elky there with a LS1 swap and a very clean Datsun 240Z with a LS2 there that also was making it! That 240Z was a great setup and very clean !

Old 11-16-2009, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man, great looking malibu! I love seeing people do things they couldnt have in factory form from the 60s/70s. Great job!
Old 11-16-2009, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice car, can we see under the hood?

Please...
Old 11-16-2009, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

i finally got to see your car in person! really nice chevelle.
i tought i would see it out there. but i think i was a lilttle late seeing you run the track. what was your time?
Old 11-16-2009, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

You can see my Car Domain link in my sig.. but here is one (this is a old picture)

Ran in the mid 34's...The Slow Ratio steering box made it hard to set up for the turns, but I had fun.. and ran decent.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice ride. Do the GC box swap, its worth it.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

VERY nice car... good see something like that taking some turns.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:01 AM
TECH Resident

BCZEE great pic's, first time I have seen your ride up close. I'm loving the old school craigers and that LS1 logo on the front fender. Sweet ride...............
What size wheels are those your running?
Thanks
Rocky
Old 11-17-2009, 08:10 AM
Staging Lane

Love your paint/entire car. If my car comes out half as good as yours I will be happy.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:47 AM
Launching!

That's funny. Sumitomo HTRZII's on the Chevelle. Unmistakable tread pattern.I have the same ones on my 70 chevelle.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bczee
You can see my Car Domain link in my sig.. but here is one (this is a old picture)

Ran in the mid 34's...The Slow Ratio steering box made it hard to set up for the turns, but I had fun.. and ran decent.
I saw the car domain link in your sig AFTER I posted. Sorry, I was overwhelmed with the pictures.

The car looks great but there is one tiny flaw... I woke up this morning and it wasn't in my garage! Seriously, the custom ram air setup is my favorite part. I love the Chevelle ram air hoods, mating it with a GEN III power plant is a stroke of genius!
Old 11-17-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the good words !...

To be correct, it is called a "Cowl Induction".. and not a "Ram Air".. The one good point about it, it is really a Cold air intake (CAI) and not sucking hot air from the engine bay.. like many so called CAI setup are sold as. it is pulling fresh air from the Cowls low pressure area off of the windshield. It is fully functional as designed by GM with both electrical and vacuum relays working. It fun to watch the flap open and close as I step on the pedal !
Old 11-17-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

I definitely need one of those CI air cleaners for my Chevelle. I guess I will have to make my own. Great pics autocross sure is a lot of fun.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bczee
Thanks for the good words !...

To be correct, it is called a "Cowl Induction".. and not a "Ram Air".. The one good point about it, it is really a Cold air intake (CAI) and not sucking hot air from the engine bay.. like many so called CAI setup are sold as. it is pulling fresh air from the Cowls low pressure area off of the windshield. It is fully functional as designed by GM with both electrical and vacuum relays working. It fun to watch the flap open and close as I step on the pedal !
I knew that, I was just testing you! hahahaha!

Sorry, all the new cars talk about Ram Air like it is new when it really started in the 60's and I had that on the brain. Before I was 16 I used to pour over a bunch of my dad's old magazines featuring 66 - 72 hot rod cars. He had a Camaro with a cowl hood on it, his friend used to have a Chevelle like yours with the cowl hood while a third guy had a Buick GS Stage1... Oh the simplicity of a carb... and the PITA of getting and keeping them right! Long live FI!
Old 11-19-2009, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

i know in your sig it says you have the edelbrock headers....but in that picture it looks like you are running factory manifolds....

if your running the factory manifolds which ones are you using....did you have to modify them.....i have a set of lq4 manifolds and some f body one...looks like ether way i go they will both have to be modified to fit inside the drivers side frame rail
Old 11-19-2009, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you see the text in post #5, it had "(this is a old picture)", I didn't have one handy at the time... but, yes I do have Headers on and got them from the Forum via a GP at the time with the rest of the A-Body guys..

Those Manifolder were off of a 99' Z28.. I welded the ports shut and repositioned the Driver side O2 Sensor to give more clearance away fromthe frame. The Truck mainfold do not fit well at all, the outlet is more rearward and they are wilder than a F-body one.

Quick Reply: Another A-Body Going Sideways !