Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFI 5.0 into a 69 Mustang.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default EFI 5.0 into a 69 Mustang.

I made a trip to the local junkyard today and found a ton of 5.0's out of 89 Crown Vics and the sort. I was wondering what it would take to put that into my bare 69 Fastback. It's $150 for a complete engine and harness. Other than that what else would I need? I know I need fuel parts but what else? And are there wiring harness guides? Also how much of the harness do I need? I figure this swap should be similar to an LS1 swap.
Thanks in advance guys.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

prolly get more help on corral or svt sites.
it would make good candidate for ls swap.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are they active sites? I tried Stangnet but the forums don't work..

I would love an LS swap but I can't afford it. $150 for a running engine with warranty if it doesn't work is a hell of a deal. All of their LT1's are torn up so I can't use those.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

Well the 5.0s are a very basic and the most easiest efi swap out there!!! I would suggest getting a motor and wiring harness from a mustang, manly just harness and computer.

Try going to yahoo and type in....very useful mustang...it pulls up a very detail wiring diagram for 5.0s
Old 11-28-2009, 09:01 PM
Launching!

Try and get a HO from what I can remember they have roller lifters and a few other upgrades. Fuel pressure is about 35 on those so electric fuel pump. I would replace all the gaskets as they tend to be leaky motors. Check the Corral I know I have seen thisvery swap detailed just had no interest at the time. Good luck.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

Jeez, I did NOT expect to see this on LS1tech, lol. Join stangfix or vintage-mustang.com, either one of them should be able to help.

Stangnet is ho-hum and some of the tech sections on corral are nothing but a friggin joke

Crown Vic and truck/van motors are all non-HO motors and only rated at 165hp at best. The good news is that they are cheap and you'll probably end up throwing away all the crappy parts during a rebuild, so it's a better $$ investment than buying a Mustang 5.0HO and throwing away all the special HO parts during a rebuild.

Edited to add that all 1986+ non-HO motors have a roller cam or are ready for one...the thing about getting an HO motor because they have a roller cam is an internet myth.

It's a good bit simpler than an LS1 swap, the 5.0 wiring and computer is stone age in comparison. I almost 5.0 EFI swapped my car and I will probably drill a 4bbl intake for injectors at some point, so I've got the 5.0 swap part down pat, I'm just not 110% on the EFI swap nowadays...that EFI intake is one goofy lookin' piece IMHO.

Be warned, you'll have to sell a kidney or 3 if you want a sumped tank with an intank pump that bolts in.

PS: LS1s fit older mustangs no problemo....just sayin.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 6.0Nova?
PS: LS1s fit older mustangs no problemo....just sayin.
If I get rear ended in my Trans Am anytime soon I will go for it lol.. Budget is small right now.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/1485735189.html

this is all you need

Quick Reply: EFI 5.0 into a 69 Mustang.