Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

carbed LS1 in 72 Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default carbed LS1 in 72 Firebird

I am attempting to put a stock 2000 LS1 carbed with the Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold (dual plane) and an MSD 6010 timing controller in my 72 Firebird.

I've done a few searches and saw a few posts from people putting LS1s in second gen Camaros. From what I understand, I would need SBC motor mounts for a stock crossmember, and LS1-to-SBC-motor-mount adapters. This makes sense to me, but is this all there is to fitting the LS1 into the engine bay?

Does anyone know of anything else I should look out for, such as header clearance?

I have a TH400 in the Firebird now, so I know it will bolt up. I'll try to get some pics soon.

Thanks for any help/advice guys
Old 12-03-2009, 03:22 AM
Teching In

For my '71 Firebird Formula I used Edelbrocks engine mount adaptor plates, Energy Suspensions Polyurethane SBC 'tall and narrow' motor mounts and I used '70-'72 Big Block Camaro frame stands which bolt up to the Firebird crossmember. If you have a stock LS1 F-Body oil pan it will clear the crossmember no problems, otherwise you will need to source one. I also used Edelbrocks 4-1 Headers as they are designed for LS motors in second gen f-body's and they fit nice.

If you have a Pontiac (BOP) belhousing bolt pattern TH400 it will not bolt up. A Chev bellhousing bolt pattern TH400 will bolt up to your block but you will need to get a special flexplate or an adaptor kit so the converter matches up. Have a look in the Auto trans section of the forum for info on this.

Hood clearance is a bit of a problem with the second gen Firebirds when using a 4 barrel manifold, I'm pretty sure the single plane will not clear with a carb, so get some measurements of the dual plane to be sure
Old 12-03-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i highly reccomend a vic. jr instead of dual plane.
these ls engnes do not suffer from lack of low end with single planes. like an sbc.
also the msd/ebrock box is very simple and user friendly.works off pills
Old 12-03-2009, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

post them pics.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jsmechanical
For my '71 Firebird Formula I used Edelbrocks engine mount adaptor plates, Energy Suspensions Polyurethane SBC 'tall and narrow' motor mounts and I used '70-'72 Big Block Camaro frame stands which bolt up to the Firebird crossmember. If you have a stock LS1 F-Body oil pan it will clear the crossmember no problems, otherwise you will need to source one. I also used Edelbrocks 4-1 Headers as they are designed for LS motors in second gen f-body's and they fit nice.

If you have a Pontiac (BOP) belhousing bolt pattern TH400 it will not bolt up. A Chev bellhousing bolt pattern TH400 will bolt up to your block but you will need to get a special flexplate or an adaptor kit so the converter matches up. Have a look in the Auto trans section of the forum for info on this.

Hood clearance is a bit of a problem with the second gen Firebirds when using a 4 barrel manifold, I'm pretty sure the single plane will not clear with a carb, so get some measurements of the dual plane to be sure
Just what I needed, thanks js. I bombarded you with questions in pm. I had no idea Pontiac TH400 bellhousings had a different bolt pattern. I'll have to make sure what mine is.

I have the dual snorkel hood, but if I have to cut, I'll get a flat junky hood, and cut into that and paint it...
Old 12-03-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NemeSS
i highly reccomend a vic. jr instead of dual plane.
these ls engnes do not suffer from lack of low end with single planes. like an sbc.
also the msd/ebrock box is very simple and user friendly.works off pills
I called Edelbrock's tech line and they said if the LS1 is mostly stock, I'm much better off with the dual plane intake and that the Victor Jr is for higher horsepower applications.

I hear you though, I'm sure people have used the Vic Jr on stock LS1s and been fine.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get the 1" setback mounts
Old 12-04-2009, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 71 chevy
get the 1" setback mounts
I'm assuming these bring the engine closer to the firewall?
Old 12-07-2009, 12:57 AM
TECH Resident

Here are a few pics of the car and the..."carburetor" I'm going to use. (Please keep the tbi hate comments to yourself, I've heard 'em all. )

I'll post pics of the engine soon; waiting on the oil pickup, windage tray, and coils.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:08 AM
Staging Lane

Hey, awesome build. Are you going to use that TBI unit on an LS1? That'll be interesting to see how that turns out. A mechanic I'm familiar with was using the same unit on a red 69 chevy truck, just he had it bolted up on a 350. His build is pretty cool too, accept it's been sitting in his shop for 3 years......
Old 12-07-2009, 07:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 67firebirdak
Hey, awesome build. Are you going to use that TBI unit on an LS1? That'll be interesting to see how that turns out. A mechanic I'm familiar with was using the same unit on a red 69 chevy truck, just he had it bolted up on a 350. His build is pretty cool too, accept it's been sitting in his shop for 3 years......
Yes, it'll sit on top an Edelbrock Performer RPM dual plane intake. I ran it on my Pontiac 400 and I loved it. EASY to set up, just plug and play. I like the way it looks too, when my dirty fingerprints aren't all over it.

Man tell the mechanic with the 69 truck to drive that thing!!

Quick Reply: carbed LS1 in 72 Firebird