Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3L Important Swap Question.. Help!

Old 12-02-2009, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3L Important Swap Question.. Help!

Hey guys,
I have been working on a v8 swap project for the past 4 months. I finally got it finished when we installed the exhaust. I was so excited to start that 5.3 up!
Well, I started the motor and it blew motor oil all over the floor. We lifted the Jeep up to see what hose I didnt tighten or I might have not tightened the oil filter, but we found a tiny crack in the block on the oil pressure side above the filter. I WAS SICK!!!!

After getting in a bad argument with the seller telling me that Im out of the warranty already (30 days), I had no choice to find another motor.
I actually found a nice 5.3L today out of a 07 classic 1500 with 1000 miles. Thhe motor cost me less than a long block would have so I bought it (and this one has 1 year warranty).
After some checking on the vehicles vin this motor came out of, the motor was pulled from a 07 GMC K1500 HYBRID.
My question is does the Hybrid trucks have the same ole LM7 motor in it? The vin has a engine code 8 which means LM7. I noticed there are slight differences in this motor and my broken 06 motor like the water pump is different and there are a few more plugs on the original harness. Other than that, the motors look about the same.
Does anyone know if this setup will work? Im just wanting to get the Jeep on the road, but I dont want to put in another motor that wont work..

Thanks for any input!
-Jon
Old 12-02-2009, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet its the same. Its a compustion engine correct? so it should run with fuel, spark, and compression, lol

Im not for sure but im willing to bet the block is the same. And about the other block, you couldnt get it welded back up?
Old 12-03-2009, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

Do you mean it is a flex fuel? Hybrids are usually gas and electric combos. If its just a flex fuel it will be just fine if not better than a regular 5.3 .
Old 12-03-2009, 06:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey where in arkansas are you located? I'm getting ready to start a 5.3 swap at the end of the month and it would be cool to share information and ideas.

I'm in NE Arkansas BTW
Old 12-03-2009, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by 06colorado
I bet its the same. Its a compustion engine correct? so it should run with fuel, spark, and compression, lol

Im not for sure but im willing to bet the block is the same. And about the other block, you couldnt get it welded back up?
I took it to a shop we have used for years and they said that where its at, its definately unrepairable.

Originally Posted by supershift67
Do you mean it is a flex fuel? Hybrids are usually gas and electric combos. If its just a flex fuel it will be just fine if not better than a regular 5.3 .
No its not FlexFuel, its actually out of a half ton hybrid truck (gas/electric). The block looks exactly the same, but I just want to be sure.

Originally Posted by 1976CamaroGuy
Hey where in arkansas are you located? I'm getting ready to start a 5.3 swap at the end of the month and it would be cool to share information and ideas.

I'm in NE Arkansas BTW
Im in NW AR. Ill help you out with any questions you have. Just let me know...
Old 12-03-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

block and internals are the same. All of the hybrid stuff is external to the engine. The wiring harness will be different though but you can use the one in the jeep already. I am a GM tech and work on these all the time.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by jfg455
block and internals are the same. All of the hybrid stuff is external to the engine. The wiring harness will be different though but you can use the one in the jeep already. I am a GM tech and work on these all the time.
Thanks so much for the info.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.3L Important Swap Question.. Help!