Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 Build...opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Default 5.3 Build...opinions please

Okay, so all the talk about the venerable 5.3 has got me thinking of one for my next build. Here's the plan, tell me where I am off track.

2005+ 5.3L L33 - like the aluminum....not dead set, not opposed to use cast iron.

Swap out all truck parts to f-body parts, use LS6 intake, accessories, rails, injectors, etc....will use headers so manifolds don't play into it...

Use f-body harness, ECM etc....

4L60E tranny, maybe 6 speed standard...

Questions;

Will truck sensors work with f-body harness, if not will f-body sensors swap to 5.3 engine.

Will f-body coils fit the valve covers/work.

Is the 5.3 reluctor 24X

Will the f-body flexplate bolt up to the 5.3 crank to use 60E or 6 speed manual, heard about cranks being longer....

Basically I want to use a 5.3 block and heads and put all LS1 parts on the outside of it....pros/cons?

Maybe install a cam later with springs etc...just want a good dependable driver for now, with capability to make 350HP or more...

I have a lot of F-body/LS parts already....

Fire away.....

T,

Last edited by TomM; 12-03-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:26 AM
TECH Resident

So I guess I'm not off track....I'll press on...thanks for all the replies.....

T,
Old 12-07-2009, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did an LM7 with f-body accessories and intake, but I used the truck harness and PCM.

You need to decide if you are going to do DBW or cable throttle and that will dictate the PCM and harness you should use. If you are going DBW use the truck harness and cut the injector plugs so you can use the LS1 style injectors. If you are going to run cable, you don't need the truck PCM with the drivers for the DBW in it or the harness with provisions for the throttle control box. I like the DBW because the throttle response is just as good or better and the cruise control hookup is a snap.

If you do use the DBW, the larger throtle body will interfere slightly with the f-body water pump but you can easily trim the throttle body to fit. Also get the PCM, jumper, throttle control box and pedal off the same vehicle - mixing and matching can be a PITA.

If hood clearance is an issule, the DBW TB will be slightly taller than its cable operated counterpart

The oil dipstick will be too tall too - grab the f-body one if you can

The truck coil pack interfered with the LS1 injector rail where the fuel inlet was. I don't know if the LS2 rail will, but I'd assume it will hit the coil packs too. I cut mine back and brazed a 90 deg AN-6 fitting to it to plumb the fuel inlet

I'm clueless on the transmission question - maybe somebody else will jump in
Old 12-07-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the reply. The plan is to use everything F-body, rails, injectors, harness, PCM etc.....definitely going drive by cable, want to keep this as simple and seamless as possible, as it will be a daily driver....understood on the dipsticks...Lokar to the rescue....can modify fuel rail inlet as required...

Remaining questions...

What year 5.3 to stay away from...(no VVT for me)
Are all the 5.3 24x reluctor wheel....
Will 4L60e bolt up, and will F-body flexplate fit 5.3.....
Can I use the truck coils and just change to F-body connector.

Thanks for any input, or lack thereof......

T,

Originally Posted by dpd069
I did an LM7 with f-body accessories and intake, but I used the truck harness and PCM.

You need to decide if you are going to do DBW or cable throttle and that will dictate the PCM and harness you should use. If you are going DBW use the truck harness and cut the injector plugs so you can use the LS1 style injectors. If you are going to run cable, you don't need the truck PCM with the drivers for the DBW in it or the harness with provisions for the throttle control box. I like the DBW because the throttle response is just as good or better and the cruise control hookup is a snap.

If you do use the DBW, the larger throtle body will interfere slightly with the f-body water pump but you can easily trim the throttle body to fit. Also get the PCM, jumper, throttle control box and pedal off the same vehicle - mixing and matching can be a PITA.

If hood clearance is an issule, the DBW TB will be slightly taller than its cable operated counterpart

The truck coil pack interfered with the LS1 injector rail where the fuel inlet was. I don't know if the LS2 rail will, but I'd assume it will hit the coil packs too. I cut mine back and brazed a 90 deg AN-6 fitting to it to plumb the fuel inlet

I'm clueless on the transmission question - maybe somebody else will jump in
Old 12-08-2009, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TomM
Thanks for the reply. The plan is to use everything F-body, rails, injectors, harness, PCM etc.....definitely going drive by cable, want to keep this as simple and seamless as possible, as it will be a daily driver....understood on the dipsticks...Lokar to the rescue....can modify fuel rail inlet as required...

Remaining questions...

What year 5.3 to stay away from...(no VVT for me)
Are all the 5.3 24x reluctor wheel....
Will 4L60e bolt up, and will F-body flexplate fit 5.3.....
Can I use the truck coils and just change to F-body connector.

Thanks for any input, or lack thereof......

T,
The "simple" 5.3's are years 2000 through 2004. All those are non VVT and I believe all cable operated as well.

4L60E will bolt up but depending on the year of the transmission you will need a spacer and bolts from GMPP. Short version... 1998 and newer 4L60E = no spacer. 1997 and earlier = spacer. The transmission needs to say PWM on the front pump or it won't work properly via computer control but all 1996 up transmissions are cool for that.

Connectors are the same, the coils plug in the same across all Gen III's. The only plug differences will be the O2's and the fuel injectors. I have heard of people tweaking the fuel rail a touch to clear the coils, mine is on backwards so I don't know about that.

What is wrong with using the truck ECM and wiring?
Old 12-08-2009, 02:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
The "simple" 5.3's are years 2000 through 2004. All those are non VVT and I believe all cable operated as well.

4L60E will bolt up but depending on the year of the transmission you will need a spacer and bolts from GMPP. Short version... 1998 and newer 4L60E = no spacer. 1997 and earlier = spacer. The transmission needs to say PWM on the front pump or it won't work properly via computer control but all 1996 up transmissions are cool for that.

Connectors are the same, the coils plug in the same across all Gen III's. The only plug differences will be the O2's and the fuel injectors. I have heard of people tweaking the fuel rail a touch to clear the coils, mine is on backwards so I don't know about that.

What is wrong with using the truck ECM and wiring?
Nothing wrong with the truck ECM and harness, haven't exactly decided yet, but I want to try my hand at my own harness, so instead of swapping connectors etc, thought I'd go with F-body stuff, plus I already have almost all the fbody stuff to do the swap.......

Cool on the tranny's...noted and stored.....

What about the reluctor wheel, any surprises there?
Old 12-08-2009, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

Nothing wrong with the truck ECM and harness, haven't exactly decided yet, but I want to try my hand at my own harness, so instead of swapping connectors etc, thought I'd go with F-body stuff, plus I already have almost all the fbody stuff to do the swap.......

I did the car intake swap but used the truck PCM and only changed the injector plugs on the harness. Really that is all you will save yourself - unless you already have the PCM and harness.

According to my research, 5.3's up to 2006 are 24x. Essentially the easiest way to spot a 24x or 58x wheel is by the sensor color. The sensor is located in the block behind the starter just above the oil pan lip.

24x wheel sensor = black
58x wheel sensor = gray

None of this really matters for you since you don't want VVT which started in 2005 for various engines. Keep to the 1999 to 2004 engines and you'll be fine.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

Sweet, thanks for all the insight. I actually want to use a 2000 f-body harness and ECM, as I have that model year license in HP tuners, so money saved there for credits, spent toward other parts. Trying to do this on a budget I set for myself, I can sell off the truck ECM and harness, or modify it and sell it off to someone doing a swap.

If my business takes off doing tuning and swaps then all that is a moot point, purely based on cash flow at the time.....

T,
Old 12-08-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

Sweet, thanks for all the insight. I actually want to use a 2000 f-body harness and ECM, as I have that model year license in HP tuners, so money saved there for credits, spent toward other parts. Trying to do this on a budget I set for myself, I can sell off the truck ECM and harness, or modify it and sell it off to someone doing a swap.

If my business takes off doing tuning and swaps then all that is a moot point, purely based on cash flow at the time.....

T,
Trust me, I understand the cash flow thing. I swear some people think you have to have cubic dollars in a swap or it isn't cool. A little ingenuity and sharing ideas from your internet friends goes a long way.

If I had $$$ I would own a copy of HP Tuners or something similar but right now it's cheaper to pay someone to flash PCMs until I can do it myself. Since I got the last complete engine, harness, acessories and PCM for less than HPT it was not even on the 3rd string wish list.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I wanna do one of these swaps....what kinda oil pan and headers/manifolds would I use?
Old 07-11-2018, 05:58 AM
TECH Resident

So I did this 9 years ago.....much has changed since then....

Oil pan and headers depend on the car....what are you putting it in?

T,
Old 07-11-2018, 06:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go all aluminium for weight purposes.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great conversation as I am about to doa 5.3 in my 86 TA. IN process of getting a 4th gen fuel tank and midifying my lt1 t56 for ls duties. I would be interested to know how your wiring worked itself out as I need to plan the truck engine into a much smaller engine bay.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:01 AM
TECH Resident

Wiring worked out fine. Still running today on the modified harness.......just take your time and make good solder joints and shrink tube everything....

I lengthened mine, so if you need to shorten yours, it should be a slam dunk....

T,

Quick Reply: 5.3 Build...opinions please