Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alternator question

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alternator question

is there a difference between the truck and the car ls1 alternators? is the wiring different from the car and truck?

the reason im askin is cause i have a 02 truck harness and bought a camaro alternator. i believe my harness has 2 wires(grey and brown). anyways i can start the car a couple times and idle it ad itll be fine, if i drive for a while itll be low enough that itll just click. i have a aftermarket voltage gauge and that thing like bounces all over the place when the cars running. im just wondering if i have the wirig different and its not charging my battery. not sure what year car the alternator was off of.

Last edited by RPD_Vette84; 12-04-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Teching In

If the alternator is to blame, when you turn your lights on at night they should vary in brightness( getting dimmer and brighter). Since there is a ticking sound, is the wire on the back of the alternator plugged/screwed in all the way?
Im not sure if the truck alternator is different from the ls1, im wondering the same thing.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

yeah when the headlights are on they dim and that. everythings plugged in well. i tugged on the plug and it didnt come out. i think its my battery its just too small for what i have.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPD_Vette84
yeah when the headlights are on they dim and that. everythings plugged in well. i tugged on the plug and it didnt come out. i think its my battery its just too small for what i have.
Btw, have you dyno'd it?
Id like to see what kinda numbers it made.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Fbodys use one wire alts, trucks two

Cut the gray wire and tape it back for a fbody alt

Not sure if thats your problem though
Old 12-05-2009, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

think its my battery, i think its too small

its at 12.56ish sitting and 13+ with the car running

no i havent dynoed it i just finished it pretty much and still tryin to get some bugs out.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Teching In

Truck alternators are generally rated for a little more amperage 110, or 130 amp. but are bigger. alternator receives signal{+12v} from computer to excite alternator, if your getting that then a good alternator will put out 13.5-14.9v. sometimes an alternator will put out voltage that is in range, but wil put out little to no amperage {this sounds like your problem} you will need to take it somewhere who has a inductive amp probe and see it the output of your alternator is putting out any amperage {should be 30-100 amps} Hope this helps

Quick Reply: alternator question