Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a hand w/starter and alt wiring

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 05:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a hand w/starter and alt wiring

Spent the last hour or so searching around, and couldnt come up w/anything.....

Car is originally a 3.8/auto car, its getting a carbed/stroked LQ4 and TH400. Im looking for an "idiots guide" for the wiring of the starter/alt. Battery is located in the spare tire well. Im not planning on using any of the stock gauges, but want all the lights to work, and motor to start/shut off w/the key. Where is the best place to power the 6LS box???

Again, Im a non-wiring fool, so any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!
Thanks in advance-
Old 12-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Teching In

are you running new battery cables to starter? or are you trying to reuse all the old stuff? alt. wiring in easy you have the "big" wire from alternator go back to fuse box main power connection. the little plug only really needs one wire, in the LS harness there will be a wire coming from the computer for a turn on signal {+12V} to alternator, once computer knows engine is running it supplys voltage to that one wire to "excite" the alternator. I am in the process of doing an A-body LS swap right now, theres really not much to the starting and charging on these things, just more intimidating than anything. As for a good place to grab power for LS harness depends if u are running new cables or not. I would recommmend running new cables {stock starter wiring on 3.8 is kinda skimpy}. hope this helps
Old 12-07-2009, 07:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Afterhours Performan
are you running new battery cables to starter? or are you trying to reuse all the old stuff? alt. wiring in easy you have the "big" wire from alternator go back to fuse box main power connection. the little plug only really needs one wire, in the LS harness there will be a wire coming from the computer for a turn on signal {+12V} to alternator, once computer knows engine is running it supplys voltage to that one wire to "excite" the alternator. I am in the process of doing an A-body LS swap right now, theres really not much to the starting and charging on these things, just more intimidating than anything. As for a good place to grab power for LS harness depends if u are running new cables or not. I would recommmend running new cables {stock starter wiring on 3.8 is kinda skimpy}. hope this helps
Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.

I completely got rid of the 3.8 harness under the hood though, so there is nothing in the engine compartment other than the fuse block mounted on the front drivers side wheel well and the junction block on the pass front wheel well. Thats why w/starting all new, I really dont know where/how to start........ There isnt really any connection for the 6LS box, just a constant and a keyed source, which is where I was wondering what the best place to tap into for them....... As far as the little wire "little" wire to excite the alt, what do you think I should do there???? Im not running a computer at all........
As always, any help would be greatly appreciated..........
Old 12-07-2009, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

just run a 12 volt ignition turn on wire to the little wire on the alt. DO NOT RUN A CONSTANT 12 VOLT. I FRIED 2 OF EM DOING THAT!
Old 12-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Launching!

Default link/diagram

Can someone point me in the direction w/a link or diagram???? Im not running a computer/injection. I just want the thing to start/shutoff w/the key, and how to run the alt wiring. Ive searched/read, but havent found what Im looking for....... someones gotta know!!!!!