Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What suspension/break system do you run?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 11:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What suspension/break system do you run?

I just picked up a 1965 Impala that i am going to start a LS/LQ T56 swap next year. There is a mountain of great info on the drivetrain swap but there isn't much info on what people are doing to handle the new power level. Should i keep the drum breaks? Upgrade to a basic disc break conversion kit? Stock A-arms, rear control arms?
Old 12-12-2009, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talking

LS power + drum brakes?? Oh HELL NO!!! (You outta yo damn MIND???) I'm mostly kidding when I ask that question, BTW...

A '65 Impala should still be a full-frame vehicle (X-frame??), so you won't need subframe connectors, although it'd be a REALLY good idea to be sure that the basic frame, etc. is is good shape. At the very least, I'd suggest front discs, & having discs on all 4 corners sure wouldn't hurt, if the budget allows for it.

You might also check into how much it'd cost for one of the suspension rebuild kits, ideally one that contains body bushings, etc. It seems like it would REALLY suck to haul ***** up to triple-digit speeds, & then realize that you're swaying 300 ft side-to-side, & needing two counties to slow back down...

Having said all that, I hope you'll post pics of the build, it's sounds like a wicked-cool project.

Power kicks a$$ - but control is kinda good too...
Old 12-13-2009, 07:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have drums in the rear and discs on the front of my 76 Camaro and hope to upgrade the rear to discs in the future.

I can't imagine running a car on the stock 300+ horsepower that today's engines offer on a full drum set-up. I would at least upgrade the front to discs.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:22 PM
Teching In

Cant seem to post pics so below are links to them. Basically starting with rolling chasis and body wich is what i wanted since drivetrain and interior are going to custom anyways.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0001_large.jpg

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0002_large.jpg
Old 12-14-2009, 12:14 AM
Teching In

If you are going to drive it, then yes - upgrade the front brakes immediately.

For modern traffic situations and modern drivers who are used to power disc brakes, drums don't cut it. For safety's sake alone, upgrade the front brakes.

If you are planning to ultimately do a super suspension of some sort you can figure out which calipers/rotors/master cylinder will work into your future plans so you don't have to buy them twice. Good luck!