Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBDII question

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 08:14 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default OBDII question

I am installing a 2005 5.3 in my 1972 Jimmy. I am thinking of adding one of these gauges. http://www.aeroforcetech.com/ Do I still only need those 4 connections or will I need additional connections for it to work?

Thanks

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
The OBD II connection is SUPER simple like Merv said. One is the data line, one is 12V and two are grounds. The rest of the connections either aren't used or won't matter in a swap application.

Basically look at this link about the OBD2 port. (scroll to the bottom). I prefer diagrams so...

What you need is in bold, unnecessary bagpipes and bullsh!t is gray.

Pin 2 - J1850 Bus+
Pin 4 - Chassis Ground
Pin 5 - Signal Ground

Pin 6 - CAN High (J-2284)
Pin 7 - ISO 9141-2 K Line
Pin 10 - J1850 Bus
Pin 14 - CAN Low (J-2284)
Pin 15 - ISO 9141-2 L Line

Pin 16 - Battery Power
Old 12-15-2009, 10:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Yes those are the only 4 wires needed. Not sure if that guage plugs into the OBDII port or taps into the wiring, but either way would work.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:41 PM
Launching!

That gauge plugs right into that OBDII port. What are those other wires for then? Will you gaurantee that gauge will work without them?

Thanks
Old 12-15-2009, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

A quick scan of the manual says you do need the OBDII connector as their harness simply plugs in at that point and uses the data stream normally used by a scan tool.
Direct quote of step 4 from page 3 of the manual "4. Plug the main cable connector into the OBD2 connector. See figure 2. The
data, ground, and power on most vehicles come from this connector."

The device looks interesting, but a nice scan tool is portable and does the same thing for about the same $. However this does have the handy option of doing a case relearn. Now if they made one that would replace all the gauges and senders that ran direct from the OBDII bus...

The manual in PDF.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the factory ALDL connector only has 4 wires in it. (or at least the one that I pulled from a 2004 silverado that I got my wiring harness from)
Old 12-15-2009, 06:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Thealien
That gauge plugs right into that OBDII port. What are those other wires for then? Will you gaurantee that gauge will work without them?

Thanks
The other wires are for other systems in other cars like ABS, airbag systems, different modules ect. I can guarantee you that a scanner will work without them, it will just read the powertrain. My TechII will read powertrain, but says there's no communication with the other systems. If it plugs into the OBDII port, then all that gauge really is is a small kind of code reader/scanner.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:42 PM
Launching!

Thanks, you guys are the best!
Old 12-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
A quick scan of the manual says you do need the OBDII connector as their harness simply plugs in at that point and uses the data stream normally used by a scan tool.
Direct quote of step 4 from page 3 of the manual "4. Plug the main cable connector into the OBD2 connector. See figure 2. The
data, ground, and power on most vehicles come from this connector."

The device looks interesting, but a nice scan tool is portable and does the same thing for about the same $. However this does have the handy option of doing a case relearn. Now if they made one that would replace all the gauges and senders that ran direct from the OBDII bus...

The manual in PDF.
The reason I am considering it is I am installing in a 72 Jimmy and keeping all my factory gauges which are not the most acurate. I just figure this will be a cool tool to monitor everything the PCM can monitor?
Old 12-15-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

The reason I am considering it is I am installing in a 72 Jimmy and keeping all my factory gauges which are not the most acurate. I just figure this will be a cool tool to monitor everything the PCM can monitor?
I know what you mean
I'm using autometer guages in mine. I'm also considering running a car computer with a pop out touch screen popping out of the ash tray.....then I can run HPtuner while I'm driving and just display it on the touch screen!

Have you seen the guage pod that is formed into the dash pad? That might be a good place to put that one or the hole where some trucks have the air pressure guage for bigger trucks.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Now I see the light! This could be a possibility for my 61...
Old 12-16-2009, 07:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ackattack1
I know what you mean
I'm using autometer guages in mine. I'm also considering running a car computer with a pop out touch screen popping out of the ash tray.....then I can run HPtuner while I'm driving and just display it on the touch screen!

Have you seen the guage pod that is formed into the dash pad? That might be a good place to put that one or the hole where some trucks have the air pressure guage for bigger trucks.
Thats where my not very acurate factory tach is

Have a link to that dash pad?

I havent really looked into mounting locations yet, don't even have my engine in yet. I don't even have a working crossmember yet! (4X4 unlifted trucks have a few issues, I believe I have everything worked out). I may try to locate it in a radio delete plate since my radio is in a lockable center console (convertible needs lockable storage).
Old 12-16-2009, 08:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Another option?
http://www.plxdevices.com/multigauges.html
Old 12-16-2009, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by garys 68
Sweet. I like the data logger but it isn't OBD II.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Launching!

And pricey
Old 12-16-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Ackattack1
the hole where some trucks have the air pressure guage for bigger trucks.
I think he's talking about the small gauge opening just right of the steering column, it looks like it would fit there.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:16 PM
Teching In

How do i put wire OOBII connector and a check engine light in to my 2003 5.3 harness, do anyone have a digram
Old 12-14-2013, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

Default Gauge options

I'm not sure how much different your dash is than my 82's, I was going to buy a 6 gauge set that would work with my lq4 and keep it looking stock, but got a digital gauge from Summit. I took all my gauges out and bolted the summit one to a metal plate then mounted it where the old one was. It was only $260 and I have a tach fuel temp volts oil and speedo.
Attached Thumbnails OBDII question-image.jpg  

Quick Reply: OBDII question