Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non LSx (yet) fiero need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Non LSx (yet) fiero need help

Alright, I have a 1986 Fiero GT I am building, while I am waiting on my LS1 (limited money to spend, so it takes a while to do it) I am driving it factory with Muncie 4 speed. The problem I am having though, is with the brakes. All 4 keep locking up so bad that I have to use a crowbar just to loosen it enough to move across the yard. I think I may need new brake lines, but I want to make sure that's what it is expected to be before I spend the money on it. Like I said, I am working with minimal money right now, so whatever I can save is better. I need to drive it as a daily for right now since my Ram got totaled. So I need to figure something out as soon as possible. Thanks!
Old 12-21-2009, 08:13 PM
Launching!

well whatever it is it has to be something that affect all 4 brakes (obviously lol) so that narrows a lot of stuff out.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Sticky brakes is common when Fieros sit for an extended period of time. Do a brake overhaul and see what happens. Maybe even upgrade to grand am disks or larger

Just a thought, but why not go with a LS4 FWD engine instead of the LS1. LS4 uses the same bellhousing as the Fiero so no extra adapter plate plus the 5.3 is usually around half the price of a LS1 dropout

Both are alum head/blocks
Old 12-23-2009, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you'll find lots of info on www.realfierotech.com and on www.fiero.nl
Old 12-23-2009, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pocket is correct, LS4s are going for $1400 complete. But since you do save so much, and since you're going with a manual trans, I'd suggest you do like me, have the LS4 block bored to 5.7L, and basically convert it to an LS6. This won't work in Cali, but it works everywhere else. But even converted to a fake LS6, it still installs easier than a real LS6.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Isolde
Pocket is correct, LS4s are going for $1400 complete. But since you do save so much, and since you're going with a manual trans, I'd suggest you do like me, have the LS4 block bored to 5.7L, and basically convert it to an LS6. This won't work in Cali, but it works everywhere else. But even converted to a fake LS6, it still installs easier than a real LS6.
I used to own a 85 Fiero GT with a stock 2.8 engine, it was pretty quick to me in that small package. I can't imagine one of those running a LS6 ......how do you keep it from popping wheelies??
Old 12-26-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You'll break stuff before you risk wheelies. They're possible, but not with just an LS6. I went with aftermarket forged pistons since I'll be adding twin turbos. This is being built to challenge a Ferrari Enzo. If I blow the '06 Pontiac G6 GT 6-speed transaxle, I'll have to use an Acura NSX 5-speed, but that won't get me the top speed needed to equal the Enzo's top end. Nor the MPG I want.
Sorry for drifting off topic.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LS4 is not a direct bolt in to the Fiero due to the starter. On the LS4 equiped cars the starter is mounted to the transaxle rather than to the block as the 2.8 in the Fiero. Check with this guy in the Dallas area. He has done all of this.
http://www.fastfieros.com/index.htm
Old 12-30-2009, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, there are issues trying to get a starter onto the LS4 with a manual transaxle, but the best solution so far was figured out by Fieroguru on www.fiero.nl
Old 12-31-2009, 11:23 AM
Teching In

I had a similar brake issue with an '84 Indy Fiero that had been setting up for a long time, a few years ago (ex-girlfriend's project car). They calipers had to be removed to roll the car!The calipers were frozen up so bad I just replaced them, and bled all the old fluid out. That fixed the problem. Autozone had the calipers, and they weren't overly expensive.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:40 PM

Wow! I didn't expect so many replies, and good ones at that! lol Thanks! I was thinking about doing a brake swap from a 97 Z/28 onto it. I have one available for parts...so it's possible. I haven't decided just yet on motor swap candidates, but I know it will be LS series. Those are good looking and extremely efficient compared to my old LT1.

Quick Reply: Non LSx (yet) fiero need help