Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody using plastic/Aluminum radiators in A-bodies?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 07:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody using plastic/Aluminum radiators in A-bodies?

I'm working on installing an '04 LQ9 in a '69 Pontiac LeMans, and I'm considering different options for radiators. Looking at most of the LSX swap threads it appears that most people went with 2 or 3-row all aluminum radiators, but I was wondering if anyone has tried a newer (less expensive) plastic tank/aluminum setup. Spectra premium (through Rock Auto) offers a Plastic/Aluminum setup (sized for my vehicle) for ~ 210.00, which is much less than most all-aluminum setups. It's a two-row "heavy duty" cooling unit. In comparison to, for example, the 4th gen camaro or even c5 corvette radiators (comparison LS1 factory one row plastic tank units) i think that this may be a better solution than some of the factory LSX setups.

I just haven't heard of anyone using one. Has anyone used/heard of one being used in an original A-body LSX swap? Am I missing anything?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

I have read where some people have used a C4 radiator I believe. If you could find one of these lighter radiators that happened to be a dual pass. side style.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:55 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am using a plastic/aluminum radiator in my 85 el camino. It was a 85 el camino autozone replacement rad. Works about the same as the copper old one or an all aluminum one. The all aluminum one may have a slight advantage because the side tanks will radiate heat better than plastic, but IMHO if you are that close to overheating anyway you need more airflow, a bigger radiator or both. The aluminum side tanks would be slightly more impact resistant too if that matters.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:30 PM
TECH Junkie

I used a LT1 Rad, cost me $50, SLP use to sell them as the HD Rad for LS1's
Old 12-31-2009, 11:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i used an aluminum cross flow I got off Ebay for $195, looks good and seems to be good quality...the specific model was for a 66 big block Chevelle

Quick Reply: Anybody using plastic/Aluminum radiators in A-bodies?