Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vortec Max....Good Motor....Good deal??

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 11:28 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortec Max....Good Motor....Good deal??

I have found a 2006 Vortec Max 6.0L engine and 2wd automatic (4l80E?) transmission, 49K miles, headers K&N cold air intake, supposedly tuned, and it comes with the harness, and computer and probably the gas pedal. Truck was slid sideways and totaled. They are asking $3500, but I have dealt with the guy outside of his job at the wrecking yard and he says he can get it to me for $3000. Is this a good deal, an average deal or just not a deal at all?

Originally he had told me he had a 07' 6.0L aluminum block out of an SS Silverado, variable valve timing, 6spd auto and thought it had 29K available. I was all in at this point! Turns out he is a little off on his facts when I received the pictures. He wasn't trying to bait and switch he just doesn't know any better. What do you all think, it will be destined for my '70 Chevelle and if it isn't the 6spd auto, I'd like to run my T56 any how.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:49 AM
Teching In

IMO it depends on what you get with it. I just purchased an 2004 LQ9 (same motor as yours) 6.0 H.O. from a cadillac escalade. The purchase included a 4l60E tranny (from a different vehicle), the PCM, all engine bayt wiring harnesses, fuse box, the gas pedal (fly by wire), and lots of bits and pieces for 2200.00 tax included. (I purchased it from a Detroit salvage yard that of course made a profit on it).

Being that yours is two years newer it should be worth more, but it sounds like 3500 is way high. Are you getting everything with it?
Old 12-30-2009, 12:01 PM
Staging Lane

ya I agree that's a touch on the high side, I bet with some patience and searching you could find a better deal.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by crookedbowtie
I have found a 2006 Vortec Max 6.0L engine and 2wd automatic (4l80E?) transmission, 49K miles, headers K&N cold air intake, supposedly tuned, and it comes with the harness, and computer and probably the gas pedal. Truck was slid sideways and totaled. They are asking $3500, but I have dealt with the guy outside of his job at the wrecking yard and he says he can get it to me for $3000. Is this a good deal, an average deal or just not a deal at all?
Should be a 4l70 unless a 4l80 has been swapped in. Should be an LQ9. Not bad for 3k with the trans and everything listed.

Originally he had told me he had a 07' 6.0L aluminum block out of an SS Silverado, variable valve timing, 6spd auto and thought it had 29K available. I was all in at this point! Turns out he is a little off on his facts when I received the pictures. He wasn't trying to bait and switch he just doesn't know any better. What do you all think, it will be destined for my '70 Chevelle and if it isn't the 6spd auto, I'd like to run my T56 any how.
The 6sp only came in the caddy and denli's in 07. And there was no SS in 07. And all the SS had LQ9 iron blocks nonVVT.

I would physically look at the motor and trans before I buy anything form that guy! Hell could be a 4.8l!
Old 12-30-2009, 12:07 PM
Launching!

Motor and trans out of the same vehicle still bolted together, computer, harness, pedal at least probably whatever else I need if I ask, they are pretty good about that. It was pulled as an as they call it "x-over" kit.

They also have a '00 Camaro Z28 LS1/T56 combo 118K miles and 160psi comp all around. They want $2950 for the motor and $1800 for the trans so $4750 for that setup. I was quoted on this combo before I met this guy and I am sure he can get me a better deal, he is one of their wholesale guys, but it sounds steep$$$, especially with 118K miles.

I was also quoted $1000 for a '99 5.3L with computer and harness out of a 99 Silverado, with 70K miles, but I don't think I am going to go that route.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:11 PM
Launching!

I have pictures, if I can figure out how to get them from my E-mail to here I will post them. It says Vortec Max on the plastic cover and 2006 GMC 6.0L VIN-N X-over on the tag so I am sure it isn't a 4.8L. Must be a 4l60E than, I don't think it has been changed.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Vortec Max and SS came with 4L65E/4L70E depending on yr IIRC. IMHO, that is kinda high. i paid 2k for my LQ4/4L60E combo w/ 30k miles on it. I'm sure you could find a better dealfor one. If you won't be using the headers, intake, etc, you could make some of that back by selling that stuff.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

My experience has been the prices for the same mileage on Gen III / IV engines go like this:

Description ------------------- Price
Aluminum car LS* ------------- Insane / first born, bag of gold coins, etc. Not worth the 65 LB weight savings in most cases.
6.0 truck engine -------------- A touch high (IMO), but obtainable. Only worth it if you are extensively modding the engine or racing (swapping to bigger heads, stroking, etc.)
5.3 truck engine -------------- Best deal / power for the $$$. Also happens to be BY FAR the most common size.
4.8 truck engine -------------- Nearly free (comparatively), good for a driver, not for modifications.

The prices also vary yard to yard and region to region. This has been compiled by my own experience, searching and the unsolicited quotes stated by people on this and other forums.

In my HUMBLE opinion for a DRIVER you don't plan on internally modding a 5.3 is your best bet. You aren't really going to notice the extra .7 liters of displacement or 40 - 50 HP from the high output 6.0. Please don't confuse this with saying you shouldn't buy a 6.0, I'm just showing you the door to other less expensive options.

All 4L60E's of the vintage you mention will say 4L60E and M30 on the case.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:04 PM
Launching!

The trans has a sticker with a bar-code visible. It says 6CWB does that signify anything?
Old 12-30-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

i personally wouldnt pay that much for any motor or trans setup,, unless built up or like 08' or newer.. thats way to high in my oponion,,. i found a 6.0/4l80e for $1500 with everything.. and i found another one with 4x4 unit 4l80 for $1000.. id wait on a good deal to come around.. . for 3500 u can get an ls3, just motor,, i have 4l80e for sale $480 bucks..
Old 12-30-2009, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The trans has a sticker with a bar-code visible. It says 6CWB does that signify anything?
I was looking at some of that info last night and can't remember where I saw it. One of those "hmmm, that is interesting but I'll never need it" moments. Needless to say I should have exported it to a spreadsheet.

That code will tell you what type of vehicle the transmission came in, what year and what transmission it is - IF you can decode it.

I agree with chevellepowered on the price. My hang up seems to be getting 2WD transmissions cheap, but I can get engines and 4X4 transmissions all day.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
My experience has been the prices for the same mileage on Gen III / IV engines go like this:

Description ------------------- Price
Aluminum car LS* ------------- Insane / first born, bag of gold coins, etc. Not worth the 65 LB weight savings in most cases.
6.0 truck engine -------------- A touch high (IMO), but obtainable. Only worth it if you are extensively modding the engine or racing (swapping to bigger heads, stroking, etc.)
5.3 truck engine -------------- Best deal / power for the $$$. Also happens to be BY FAR the most common size.
4.8 truck engine -------------- Nearly free (comparatively), good for a driver, not for modifications.

The prices also vary yard to yard and region to region. This has been compiled by my own experience, searching and the unsolicited quotes stated by people on this and other forums.

In my HUMBLE opinion for a DRIVER you don't plan on internally modding a 5.3 is your best bet. You aren't really going to notice the extra .7 liters of displacement or 40 - 50 HP from the high output 6.0. Please don't confuse this with saying you shouldn't buy a 6.0, I'm just showing you the door to other less expensive options.

All 4L60E's of the vintage you mention will say 4L60E and M30 on the case.
I agree with this analysis. Of course, I'm a little biased but the truck engines are the best secret on the market right now. [In comparison to the aluminum corvette, GTO, firebird engines] they are cheaper, more plentiful, and in some cases make more power (ex. 5.3 L truck vs 5.7 LS1 firebird).

I also agree with the comments about the H.O. 6.0. It's rare in comparison, and because of such it's more expensive. You could probably pick up a ~315HP 5.3L on the cheap.

One of the other things that I personally considered in my purchase for example is the type of duty that I anticipated my motor experinced. A 6.0L in a pickup with a towing package was probably worked a bit harder than an escalade status-mobile. Also, with a simple head/cam/intake swap, my motor would be in the same (or better) ballpark as an LS2 GTO/vette motor at 400+ factory HP which is the direction that I would like to head.

So all in all it really does depend on what you want to do with your setup.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

They also have a '00 Camaro Z28 LS1/T56 combo 118K miles and 160psi comp all around. They want""""""" $2950""""""" for the motor and $1800 for the trans so $4750 for that setup. especially with 118K miles.

I was also quoted $1000 for a '99 5.3L with computer and harness out of a 99 Silverado, with 70K miles, but I don't think I am going to go that route.

holy f#%,, damn,,, i will sell you my 08' ly6 12 miles on motor, and 4l80e with the trans and 3200 stall, """for $4750"" ,and i'll let you hang out with my girlfriend too,, hell i'll install it for you,,,haha,,

thats just plan rip off..

just wait for good deal,,id stay away from those people..
Old 12-30-2009, 05:24 PM
Launching!

I am pretty sure the motor was worked. It has headers, an intake, a tune, and slid into something. These guys are pretty much the only place local if I don't want to pay shipping and inspect the motor first. I plan on some sort of forced induction in the future. The car will be a summer driver and flogged regularly. What is the trans worth if I sell it separately? Maybe they would go $2500 if I twist their arm. Is the Vortec Max worth any more than a standard LQ9 or LQ4?
Old 12-30-2009, 05:56 PM
Launching!

I just talked with the guy and it turns out he can get me a 69K mile LS1/T56 conversion package for $4,000 out of a 2000 Z28. If I put some money down he can hold it for me for a couple months. That is the setup I originally wanted. $4K sounds reasonable for the overpriced aluminum block LS1 6spd combos to me. He can also get me a LQ4 or LQ9 engine with 50-60K,harness, and computer for $1700. I am leaning towards the LS1.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:14 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am pretty sure the motor was worked. It has headers, an intake, a tune, and slid into something. These guys are pretty much the only place local if I don't want to pay shipping and inspect the motor first. I plan on some sort of forced induction in the future. The car will be a summer driver and flogged regularly. What is the trans worth if I sell it separately? Maybe they would go $2500 if I twist their arm. Is the Vortec Max worth any more than a standard LQ9 or LQ4?
Vortec Maxx IS an Lq9 10.2 or so to 1 compression, 345 or so hp, 380 or so ft-lb of torque with flat tops and 71 or so cc heads and flat tops and the trans IS definitely a 60 or 65e. Most of those prices are high as you've been reading here and good deals are available, in most of Illinois i've found an occasional reasonably priced Gen III or IV, but i've also seen several sellers (mostly yards) that dont seem to be keeping up with these engines worth or average price. I just seen a 2006 5.3 with 60k complete motor, tranny and so on for $3500 and i thought that was unreasonably exspensive.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep in mind about what you are planning to install it in. The truck oil pan is pretty deep, the accessories stick out the furthest, the intake manifold is the tallest, the exhaust manifolds are the widest.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Smile

I'm not sure where you're located, but if finding a local salvage yard that has reasonable prices is an issue, I wouldn't let distance be a barrier. I drove 5 hours to Detroit to get a good deal. Of course their are negatives with that approach as well (i.e. handling warranty issues) but I just thought that I would mention that...

Quick Reply: Vortec Max....Good Motor....Good deal??