Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chasing head bolts

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Chasing head bolts

I need to pick up a thread chase for my 5.3L's head bolts. I went to put the heads on and one of the bolts didn't want to go down the way it should. (Hitting 20 ft lbs before even touching the head) Anyway the correct thread chase would be 11mm with 20 pitch correct? (If that is the correct way to say it) I went to my local part stores with no luck. Will have to check online. Thanks!
Old 01-05-2010, 05:32 PM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is M11 x 2.0. Good luck finding that. ARP sells one but it is over $100. The easiest ting to do is take an old head bolt, use a grinder to cut 2 or 3 flutes down the sides and use it to chase the threads.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Turn the block upside down and blow out the head bolt holes with compressed air.

If there is any fluid down there you can crack an aluminum block.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Order a couple of the brushes at the link below. Put one in a drill and turn it to the left with the engine turned over enough for the crap to fall out on the floor. A little carb cleaner with the brush and it's good as new.

http://www.goodway.com/accessory/548-gtc-211.aspx
Old 01-06-2010, 03:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch! I figured it would be expensive but not that much! I'm pretty sure I already threw out all my old head bolts

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Turn the block upside down and blow out the head bolt holes with compressed air.

If there is any fluid down there you can crack an aluminum block.
It's an iron 5.3L, I should have mentioned that. I had already blown out all the holes. Apparently something is pretty stuck inside the threads.

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
Order a couple of the brushes at the link below. Put one in a drill and turn it to the left with the engine turned over enough for the crap to fall out on the floor. A little carb cleaner with the brush and it's good as new.

http://www.goodway.com/accessory/548-gtc-211.aspx
Awesome idea! Not sure why I didn't think of that! The silly little things at times... I'm sure I'll be able to find something similar at a local hardware store so I can avoid waiting for shipping. No idea why I didn't think of just using a small wire brush!

Thank you all for the responses!
Old 01-06-2010, 04:44 AM
TECH Junkie

If you can't find what you need, pm me and I'll send you one. I have a few of them.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Do not use a "regular" tap to clean threads. It may be of a tolerence that it will remove material from the block...The brush, old headbolt, brake clean are much safer methods of cleaning up.

Quick Reply: Chasing head bolts