Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT1-5.3 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1-5.3 Swap

I know this has been gone over in one way or another more than once, feel free to make jokes about my repeat questions but I just wanted some clarification.

I have a 93Z that I would really like to swap an LS based motor into, as with the rest of you I'm on an extremely tight budget so the fact that a low mileage complete 5.3 can be picked up for almost nothing is a great start. Add to that simple bolts ons and the 5.3 ends up making more power than the LT1, definately better mileage anyway.

I was told however that the 5.3 blocks don't have provisions to mount F-body accesories to? I want to keep AC, and power steering so that was like hitting a wall. Is there a way around that, does someone offer a modified bracket to mount the F-body accesories?

Also just for my list of parts: The motor itself, k-member, steering rack, ls1-2-6 intake, F-body oil pan, and F-body accesories. That would physically get the motor in the car right? Anything else I'm missing not electronics related?

Thank you and sorry for a repost.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

The fbody acc. will fit a 5.3 but you need to drill and tap a hole for the alt bracket. Im not sure about Ac since im not running any. You will need to replace the crank pulley since it sits too far off the block for the belt. You will also have to replace the 5.3 motor mounts and exhaust manifolds with the F-body units oh and the F-body oil pickup tube hope that helps
Old 01-09-2010, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

I'm trying to make a list of all that I need to make the swap. I've got a line on a complete K-member with the a-arms, motor mounts, and springs. I would like to build everything on the LS K-member so eventually it will just be removing the current K-member with the LT1 attached and replacing it with the LS K-member. Then it would be on to the wiring. Do any of the 5.3 truck accessories work on the F-body accessory drive? I would need to find an F-body alternator, ac, and power steering pump correct?
Old 01-09-2010, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

The truck alt fits the car mount. And is inline im not sure if it will work the same but a local guy has been using one on his fbody for a year now and no problems.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:04 AM
On The Tree

Thank you for all your help on my 5.3-LT1 swap. I'm really looking forward to doing this. I am going to begin gathering parts to make the swap happen. If you wouldn't mind could you throw together a quick list of what you used. Here is what I have so far:

Engine Components:
Engine Itself, 5.3L
LS Intake Manifold, Fuel Rails, Injectors
LS ECM
F-body Crankshaft Pulley
F-body Alternator w/bracket
F-body AC Compressor
F-body Power Steering Pump
F-body Oil Pan
F-body Dipstick Tube
LS Headers
F-body Water Pump
O2 Sensors

Frame Components:
K-member
Motor Mounts
A-arms
LS F-body Steering rack
LS F-body Intermediate Steering Shaft

Misc:
Radiator Hoses
Radiator?
Exhaust, after headers
LS F-body T56 Bellhousing

What about the AC lines from the car to the compressor? Same thing with power steering lines? Can I keep the LT1 radiator?
Old 01-11-2010, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

you can keep the lt1 radiator but you will need to find some where to relocate the heads steam vent. Just search steam vent. Im using a pipe with a nipple welded in inline with the upper radiator hose. If you are running ls1 brakes you need to replace the outer rubber lines for some extra lenght. Im not sure on ps lines since im still looking for some. I dont think the lt1s would even tuck up right. You will need to get a corvette fuel regulator and filter if you plan on keeping the lt1 return style fuel system. I think you have your list down pat.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

As far as the Brake Lines go..nothing needs to be extended. I'm running the LS Rubber bolted to the LT1 Lines without any issue.

As far as the Radiator goes..the LT1 Radiator works without issue..it's actually better than the LS1 one. Just run the Steam Line off of the Heads as you would with the LT1.

With the Power Steering just look for the LS1 Power Steering Lines..there is one that you can't make, you have to have the OEM one so you might as well look for them.

With the T56..you will need a LS T56..or convert yours over. It's easier to find and use a good LS T56 though, maybe you can trade for one.

You are pretty much on track with everything, how do you plan on doing the Wiring?

Here is my Swap Thread to help..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...to-95-z28.html
Old 01-11-2010, 11:35 AM
On The Tree

I couldnt use my lt1 outer rubber lines with ls1 brakes the hose was way to tight, I went for some braided ones.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

I was planning on replacing the brakes down the road for some larger aftermarket rotors/calipers, can I reuse the LTs spindles and brakes for the time being? I assume I could since the LS spindles and brakes are a direct swap?

On the T56, is it simply just the bellhousing that needs to be swapped over for the different bolt pattern? What about the clutch, the car has a fairly new clutch in it, maybe I can get away with just resurfacing the flywheel and reusing the clutch?

For the power steering I must have been having a DOH moment. Since I'm going to have to use the LS steering rack and steering pump they of course will need to be connected with LS steering lines.

On the AC side though I would be using the LS compressor so I guess I will just see what I end up with as far as fittings are concerned. Maybe I'll end up having to go to a hose shop or ac shop and having lines made with the older 93 style fittings at one end and the LS compressor at the other?

Another option I was looking at is the accessory drive kits from Kwik Performance,

http://www.kwikperf.com/products.html

Assuming I buy a complete 5.3L including all the accessories, could I just use these brackets and all the accessories off the 5.3L? The brackets are pricey but they may be cheaper than buying all f-body accessories?

Wiring I am unsure of, eventually I would like to run the car as a stand alone type system with Autometer gauges in the dash but for now I would like my stock cluster to work, is there any hope in that?
Old 01-11-2010, 02:27 PM
11 Second Club

I was planning on replacing the brakes down the road for some larger aftermarket rotors/calipers, can I reuse the LTs spindles and brakes for the time being? I assume I could since the LS spindles and brakes are a direct swap?

I would use the LS ones..

On the T56, is it simply just the bellhousing that needs to be swapped over for the different bolt pattern? What about the clutch, the car has a fairly new clutch in it, maybe I can get away with just resurfacing the flywheel and reusing the clutch?

The whole Tranny, Bellhousing, Clutch and Hydraulics are different..

For the power steering I must have been having a DOH moment. Since I'm going to have to use the LS steering rack and steering pump they of course will need to be connected with LS steering lines.

Yup.

On the AC side though I would be using the LS compressor so I guess I will just see what I end up with as far as fittings are concerned. Maybe I'll end up having to go to a hose shop or ac shop and having lines made with the older 93 style fittings at one end and the LS compressor at the other?

Never did AC so I can't help ya.

Assuming I buy a complete 5.3L including all the accessories, could I just use these brackets and all the accessories off the 5.3L? The brackets are pricey but they may be cheaper than buying all f-body accessories?

I would use all F-body stuff. Drill & Tap for the Alternator Bolt.

Wiring I am unsure of, eventually I would like to run the car as a stand alone type system with Autometer gauges in the dash but for now I would like my stock cluster to work, is there any hope in that?

Mine is working without issue.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:20 AM
On The Tree

So the transmission in the car now is 100% useless? I'll need to find another complete T56? That's going to delay my build a little while, thought I could just get another bellhousing and at the most a clutch.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:36 AM
11 Second Club

You will have to convert to a LS Style T56..that is the cheapest way.

That Tranny isn't useless at all, try and trade it for a LS one.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I did my swap I looked at getting a truck motor and finding all the accessories to put it in the f-body. It would have cost me double what it did to just buy the 5.7 LS1 with all the parts I needed. I got my motor off ebay from fparts. The truck wiring harness won't really work either without a lot of modification. As for your A/C questions check out the link in my sig. If it was me and you haven't bought anything yet. Get a complete dropout unit that way you get everything you need.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

I like the truck motor idea because I can buy stuff here and there and assemble all I need to make the swap over time. I think if I'm patient and locate some good deals I can do it for pretty cheap, minus whatever I can sell the complete LT1 for.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you will also need the LS windage tray

my build, I am doing the same thing into a previous LT1 car. Instead of all the stuff your going through, my radiator is vertical. I am using the truck brackets no problem, and using a vic. jr intake manifold.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cumminsram06
I like the truck motor idea because I can buy stuff here and there and assemble all I need to make the swap over time. I think if I'm patient and locate some good deals I can do it for pretty cheap, minus whatever I can sell the complete LT1 for.
What is your budget for this? You're gonna spend $4000 + to do this. Piecing it together is going to nickel and dime you to death. You can add a throttle cable to the list too.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flame
What is your budget for this? You're gonna spend $4000 + to do this. Piecing it together is going to nickel and dime you to death. You can add a throttle cable to the list too.
im using my factory lt1 throttle cable no problem, why does he need one?

I have about 1500 into my setup. Granted, its not running because I am buying all AN line for the fuel system, but thats all I have left.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by reamo04
im using my factory lt1 throttle cable no problem, why does he need one?

I have about 1500 into my setup. Granted, its not running because I am buying all AN line for the fuel system, but thats all I have left.
You're also not running a stock intake. The cable is too short. The LT1 bracket is on the left side of the throttle body and the LS1 is on the right side.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

$4000 sounds a little high, I didn't think it would cost quite that much to do.

I think buying parts here and there will save me in the long run. I am not in a killer rush to get it done, so I can keep searching for the assorted parts I will need to complete the swap. Between the classifieds here, ebay, and craigslist not to mention salvage yards I have quite a few avenues to source out what I'm looking for.

I of course would like to complete it yesterday but the car is my daily driver and I'm in no rush to turn it into a driveway ornament. Thank you all for your help, I'm sure I will be throwing up other questions in the near future as I begin to aquire everything. For now I think I have a fairly good idea on what I'm going to need. Thanks again.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

5.3L engine $500
T56 with clutch, flywheel, hydraulics $1600
K-member with mounts $125
Steering rack and shaft $150
Front drive accessories $450
Oilpan, windage tray, pickup tube $250
Intake, rails, injectors $150
Headers and y-pipe $300
Wiring harness/ pcm $250
Crank pulley $50
Waterpump $50
Rad hoses $30
Power steering hoses $30
Fuel filter/regulator $25
Throttle cable $30
O2 sensors $90
Intake, exhaust, oilpan, waterpump gaskets $100
PCM tune $75
Modify harness ??

Thats $4255 and thats with you modifying your own harness and buying used parts cheap.

Last edited by flame; 01-12-2010 at 08:58 PM. Reason: forgot exhaust

Quick Reply: LT1-5.3 Swap