Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please help dbw to db cable convertion?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help dbw to db cable convertion?

ok I am about done collecting the part I need for my swap. here its what i got,
I have a low miles 2005 avalanche's 5.3 engine with harness,ecm,gas pedal w/module for it, the problem I am having is since I just did the tranny not too long ago(700R4) I want to keep it for now, question how easy/hard or at all possible( i heard it is and is not). to change the throttle body to a cable operated one and spliced the harness together can the computer be reprogram to it? I want to change tb to make it work with my transmission and keep the original tb and pedal for future use? what do you guys think?
Old 01-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no splicing involved, you need to remove the wires coming from the TAC module, and DBW throttle body. Then add the wires for the IAC and TPS, flash a DBC OS in the PCM and change out the throttle body and you're done
Old 01-09-2010, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

poconojoe I get the part about flashing the ecm to a dbc os, and swaping the throttle body but you said add the wires for the IAC and the TPS, where do i add this wires to? for the iac and tps to ecm ? or ?thanks for the help....
Old 01-10-2010, 08:24 AM
Banned

From the IAC and TPS connecotors on the throttle body to the PCM.
Look up GJohnson on here, I just sent him plugs and wiring to do the same change on a 2003 or 2004 DBW harness. Some guys just use the wires already going to the throttle body and change the plugs on them, and repin them at the PCM, I prefer to takethe wires out of another harness and put them in the CBW harness, since then they're the correct colors, for the next guy working on the vehicle

PS You might end up using a differant PCM, since not all DBW PCM's had IAC drivers in them. If you have to change it, I'd use the 12586243 PCM, it has the green / blue plugs like yours and can be programmed for DBC

Last edited by poconojoe; 01-10-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the info... going to see if the ecm can be re-program and go from there....
Old 01-10-2010, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

almost tempted to go with a carb set up..... wire=headache plus now the tps iac maybe another ecm... overwhelming for me.
maybe a carb is my set up
Old 01-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Banned

Nothing beats injection
Old 01-11-2010, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

yea, I know, I am trying to get a 4L60E so i can keep the dbw system for the easier cruise control but can find a fair price on one around here.the harness and engine are out of 2005, do you know what year could the tranny fit, maybe like a 2001 2002?
Old 01-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

If you're using a Gen IV PCM, a reflash won't work. The PCM doesn't physically have the IAC drivers built into the circuit board. You need to use a Gen III PCM/harness.

I've done this, but there are just no provisions on the E40 or E67 PCMs to control an IAC. I used a harness from an 04 (still a GenIII harness, but it had the DBW circuits in the harness) and a PCM from an 00.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

I really dont know the differences between gen III and IV, since the stuff I have is from a 2005 avalanche would that mean , I need to get both harness and computer from an older model say a 2002 ?
Old 01-13-2010, 10:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

It really isn't that difficult of a conversion and you can use your truck harness. Poconojoe, has helped me out with almost all of my wiring and electronics and I have a 04 harness and 04 PCM that I just converted to DBC. As far as the PCM is concerned, I removed by Truck PCM (green and blue connectors) and swapped in a 04 GTO PCM (green and blue connectors).

On the truck harness all you have to do is remove the data lines that are going to the PCM connectors (I believe there are only 2) and remove the throttle body to tac module wires. (Which is not as difficult as it may sound. The wires from the throttle body run throught the harness, but are not ran to the PCM, they are ran to the TAC module plug) After you have removed those wires, all you need to do is take the TPS and IAC plug and installed the pins in the PCM connectors per your PCM's pinout. The total process for me took about 1 hour and that included unwrapping the harness and rewrapping it when I was finished. It would have taken less time, but I didn't remove the harness from the car, most of the harness was still plugged in to the other components..
Old 01-13-2010, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine
Old 01-13-2010, 10:16 AM
Launching!

I have a similar question My friend is trying to figure out the same thing. But the 700R4 requires a TV cable aka throttle volume. anyone used that?
Old 01-13-2010, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

ls88foxbody when changing from dbw to dbc, there are adapters you can use for the tv cable once you have a dbc...as for now I found this see if that helps

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...bw-thread.html

Quick Reply: please help dbw to db cable convertion?