Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

glide on a ls

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default glide on a ls

any one here running a glide on a turbo ls street car? thinking of running a glide on my 6.0 ls s10 turbo! just want some input on what u guys think? thanks
Old 01-09-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Glide as in power glide, as in the two speed automatic gear box that nearly bogs a stock engine when it shifts to 2nd? Why? My friends and I always remove them from our 60's cars to make them better street cruisers. I wouldn't see the point on a street car but my definition of "street" may differ from yours. To me street doesn't just mean you can slide it through the DMV's inspection process if you know a guy or know a guy who knows a guy or hit the right inspection station at the right time (been there, done it) it means really street legal and street drivable.

In my opinion this is like putting a carb on a Gen III engine, possible and in certain circumstances practical or necessary due to rules but not nearly logical.

Now for a full time strip car that may be legal enough to get driven to the track... different story.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

The later of the two is more of what i was saying! You and ur friends may pull power glides out of old cars, and they may bog down a stock 283 when shifted into 2ed gear, but thats the auto trans of choice among drag racers all over the world. not sure what u mean about inspections? but i was just asking how people like a glide on a street legal race car if u will, that is what most cars over 600 hp realy are any way in my opinion!
Old 01-09-2010, 09:19 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gofastwclass

In my opinion this is like putting a carb on a Gen III engine, possible and in certain circumstances practical or necessary due to rules but not nearly logical.
you wont like me then. i got a glide and a carb!
and you are right about an engine bogging. pg has full forward clutch apply, no drum, so the shifts are kinda rough. a built one is sometimes worse.

n/a motor here. i switched to a glide a few months back and wish i would have had one all along.

with the turbo setup, im sure you would get better traction on the street, and easier to tune at the track.
1st gear in the th350 cna play hell if the track isnt there sometimes.

have a guy that sells a race ready powerglide for a grand, all new parts. stock case, stock planets. 750-800hp stable.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the glide on the street, i've had four different cars with glides and wouldn't change anything. I'm building a zephyr with a twin turbo 5.3/6.0 with one now, i don't have an engine but i have the glide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsr2AvhORC0

This was the wifes' car 363ci and a glide with 3.27 gears and a 80mm turbo.

john
Old 01-10-2010, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by skinumback
The later of the two is more of what i was saying! You and ur friends may pull power glides out of old cars, and they may bog down a stock 283 when shifted into 2ed gear, but thats the auto trans of choice among drag racers all over the world. not sure what u mean about inspections? but i was just asking how people like a glide on a street legal race car if u will, that is what most cars over 600 hp realy are any way in my opinion!
I know drag racers love them, and I like going to the track to watch and hang with friends who race but I never race. Like I said our definitions of "street" differ.

My racing friends are complete addicts... they start with a stock car and can nearly run faster than the car did. A few years and lots of $$$ later they have teamed up with others and nearly have a full on race effort! I just can't afford to play with your toys. But I can turn wrenches and come out for moral support!

Originally Posted by stoopid john
I love the glide on the street, i've had four different cars with glides and wouldn't change anything. I'm building a zephyr with a twin turbo 5.3/6.0 with one now, i don't have an engine but i have the glide.

This was the wifes' car 363ci and a glide with 3.27 gears and a 80mm turbo.

john
I've seen your other car, and the build for the zephyr. You are nuts... but I like it!!!

I've got a GN buddy of mine trying to convince me to go turbo.... They are so much fun, but I've never owned one.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Once you go turbo, you'll never want to build anything else, the wifes' car made 740rwhp, had a/c and she drove it 60 miles a day a few times a week. Had a carb and would still get 15mpg when she drove it, not me. lol

Traction is better with a glide, cheaper and most of the people that don't like glides, never had them. Plus for the car to be fun with a glide they have to have some power. A 300hp car with a glide isn't that fun and they can't be over 3300lbs.

john
Old 01-10-2010, 09:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by stoopid john
Once you go turbo, you'll never want to build anything else, the wifes' car made 740rwhp, had a/c and she drove it 60 miles a day a few times a week. Had a carb and would still get 15mpg when she drove it, not me. lol

Traction is better with a glide, cheaper and most of the people that don't like glides, never had them. Plus for the car to be fun with a glide they have to have some power. A 300hp car with a glide isn't that fun and they can't be over 3300lbs.

john
I've been told that about turbos. Damn.

I can see how all those things would be true. Unfortunately in my world I don't own a car under 3600 lbs. Like I said, in the right circumstances they work great!
Old 01-10-2010, 11:04 AM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

chit... i know cars that weigh 3700 pounds... still picked up with a glide.
the whole misconception about a glide is people freak out. "ONLY TWO GEARS? you cant drive that on the street." thing is high gear is still 1:1. its like a th350/400 with no 1st gear. (basically)
some guys dont get it.
its the ones that havent run like mentioned above.
cheap, easy, consistant and hold the power.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

thanks, powerglides rule!!!! That mustang sounds awsome, those street tires give up as soon as the boost gauge cracks it sounds like! I would like to see that at the track im sure it would go low 9's. dint see a cage though
Old 01-10-2010, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Yeah, no cage, just a fun car for the wife. And yes the drag radials would let go kinda quick, even with 3.27 gears and every time she got on it in the video it was in high gear. (but the last little bit)
The car i'm building now will have 3.08 gears in it for that reason.

john
Old 01-27-2010, 06:47 PM
Teching In

glides are freaking sweet, i have one in my truck and its just awesome to tell people i only have 2 speeds: fast and faster
Old 01-28-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TJ
chit... i know cars that weigh 3700 pounds... still picked up with a glide.
the whole misconception about a glide is people freak out. "ONLY TWO GEARS? you cant drive that on the street." thing is high gear is still 1:1. its like a th350/400 with no 1st gear. (basically)
some guys dont get it.
its the ones that havent run like mentioned above.
cheap, easy, consistant and hold the power.

yeah most people dont get it! Hell we put like 30-50 hard hwy miles and city on your car today with the glide and no problems! even had it up around 140mph a few times. Never got anywhere near hot. Hell you even drive 45 miles to the track and run 6.2's in 1/8 all motor and drive home LOL. Carbs and glides must suck huh LOL LOL

Glide for the win!

When my turbo setup is done im going from M6 to a glide and some 3.08 gears so it will be bad *** little street car.

Quick Reply: glide on a ls