Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need a little help

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a little help

i'm putting an LM7 into a 1986 BMW. i was just informed that the truck crank pulley will not fit due to radiator clearance issues...understandable. so, can i just use a stock LS1 crank pulley? i already have an LS1 intake manifold and i will be getting an LS1 water pump. i've read of belt issues as well, and seen word of a idler pulley relocation kit. where can i get this? a list of parts needed to make it all come together would be awesome. i'm also in the market for a wiring harness and PCM for a 00-01 LM7, so if you have them or know where i can get them at a reasonable price, please let me know. i've done tons of searching on here but came up empty for the harness and PCM. thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:04 PM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Generally you need to use all accessories that go with the crank pulley, so corvette pully = corvette accessories, F-body pulley = f-body accessories, etc.

The cheapest thing to do is use a stock wiring harness.

Good luck with the swap.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:19 AM
Teching In

thanks for the info. yeah, i'm in the market for the stock wiring harness for the 00-01 LM7. my engine came with no accessories, so i'm having to purchase them anyway. so do the OEM accessory mouting brackets from LS1's bolt up to the LM7's with no modifying?
Old 01-12-2010, 09:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Edurdy
so do the OEM accessory mouting brackets from LS1's bolt up to the LM7's with no modifying?
Yes they will bolt up, but you'll have to drill and tap one hole for the alternator bracket, not hard to do though. And the balancer will bolt right on.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Corvette accesories will give you another 3/4 of clearance over the F body stuff.

You might want to see if you have room to mount the alternator down low in the F body position. Not everyone has room down there.

kwik performance makes a set of accessory brackets that are pretty reasonably priced and offer a lot of flexibility in mounting positions.

Too cool. I just found this Car Craft article detailing LS engine accesory options. It has a table of the belt spacing measurements

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ide/index.html

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 01-12-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

I put the LS1 accessories on my LM7.

You have to drill and tap a hole in the block for the alternator, like the other post says, but it isn't hard.

I bought all the pieces from ebay, this site or car-parts.com.

I bought the PCM through a junkyard I found on car-parts.com. $90 to my door with the PCM, TAC module, pedal and jumper harness (which you don't need because it sounds like yours is cable throttle) Yours should be considerably cheaper. I think I found the alternator on car-parts.com too for about $45.

If you find a yard that has your PCM, ask them if they have a harness for your truck motor too and see if you can get a package deal. Ask for the harness to be uncut and come with the factory fuse block. If you have the room to use it, it saves a lot of work
Old 01-14-2010, 05:49 AM
Teching In

i really appreciate all the info guys. big help! drilling and tapping a hole would be no problem. another question, anyone know what the belt length would be without PS? i will not be running any accessories at all ( besides the alternator ).

Quick Reply: need a little help