Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E-fan wiring, not using factory GM harness, have ?s.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Default E-fan wiring, not using factory GM harness, have ?s.

What, and where to buy from? I would like to have a temp sensor the threads into the block. I have a few ideas, but I'm looking for better ideas.

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm using an Imperial Automotive Products fan controller 226204 from Advance. It has an adjustable thermostat control with a built in relay, AC input and fuse. It will control two fans but I'm only using one and it works great. It was about $36.
Using this controller and a single fan, my car has never gotten past 201 degrees idling or 197 moving with this setup. Temp readings were taken from my scan tool.

**Only problem is the temp sensor doesn't thread in the block... sorry didn't see that when I initially posted.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used a cheap $40 controller with an external radiator probe. Works fine once I put a little plumbers dope on the probe to sheild it from the airflow through the radiator.

Painless makes a kit specifically for LS motors. It has a temp switch with an M12x1.5 thread so if fits right in the stock head. For some reason they don't sell the switch separately, have to buy the kit.

A couple of other members have sucessfully lathed down a 3/8 NPT temp switch to fit the stock heads. It is also possible to drill and tap the head for a 3/8 NPT sensor. Both heads have a fitting.

Other options for temp switches include putting it in a heater hose or upper radiator hose. You can buy sleeves with a sensor bung for that purpose. Also you can drill and tap the brass heater plug in the block. That will fit pretty much any sized sensor imaginable.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i also use one of the probe style, made by flexalite i think or some other brand name cooling company , it allows me to choose between 180-210 as a turn on point for the fan just by turning a ****, was like 50 bucks or so at local AA auto parts store.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

How much amps do the LS1 fans pull on start up? And how much do they go for used?

Thanks.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 2sp unit from this guy, for my Taurus fan
In other forums, everyone claims their productcs are top quality.

http://www.dccontrol.com/fancontrol.htm#chc

Quick Reply: E-fan wiring, not using factory GM harness, have ?s.