Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Expert Advise

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 08:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Expert Advise

I just sold my 01 Corvette and am in the market for a first gen Camaro. I came across this one on Craigslist and wanted to get some feedback from you guys in regards to the LS1 swap that he performed: http://fresno.craigslist.org/cto/1544602652.html

Does it appear that he has done the swap right, or cut corners?
Is there any specific questions that I should ask him before inspecting the car?
If it's even worth the trip to check it out, is there anything specific I should be looking at?

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2010, 08:42 PM
13 Second Truck Club

First off i am no expert but i am in the middle of a swap that might be comparable 16k is not bad at all im almost up to that price in my car and mine is still on jackstands and the body on my car doesnt look as good as that car.A camaro body imo is prolly worth double a chevelle body. Seems like a good deal to me
Old 01-26-2010, 09:12 PM
Staging Lane

Looks like a killer deal. But he's so close to paint it's odd that he's selling it. I mean, he's already painted the interior and engine bay (the over spray on the outer crevices). I'd wonder why he's cutting this thing loose rather than spray it and try for another 7-8 grand.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks tempting to me. Although the side marker lights make me think it is a 68 and not 67.

I would worry more about the body than the motor and trans. Check for bondo'd over rust. Bring a magnet and tap on sheet metal. Solid metal has a ringing sound, bondo makes a dull solid thud, and a magnet wont stick to body filler.

See if the T56 has ever been rebuilt. The early ones like that are pretty much guaranteed to need a rebuild at some point in their life.

If the body is solid with all the major 67 pieces in tact and the car drives well with no vibration, then I say go for it.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:34 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the tips. I's pretty comfortable looking over every aspect of the car with the exception of a LSx swap. So are you saying that if the car basically runs well, then it is a successfull swap? Is the part he used high quality? Is there something you guys would have done differently?
Old 01-27-2010, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

My only input is you might want to find out how many miles is on the engine and trans. It is the earliest version of the LS lineup and may have 100k plus. Not a real issue if it is still strong and runs good but something you should know when buying it. May give you a little bargain power if it is a higher milage engine that was just a pull out and installed in the camaro. Good luck

Quick Reply: Need Expert Advise