Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 sensor help????

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 sensor help????

Ok, as some might know I've been working on my L33 swap in my 97 Nissan 240sx and I'm getting closer and closer everyday. Right now I the swap seems to be running like complete crap and I think I have a major loss in power. So here's the situation. My harness was cut pretty bad, so when I got it, it didn't have the O2 sensor plugs at all. I went down to the local autozone and picked up some new sensors and since I didn't have the plugs on the harness, I soldered the new O2 sensors directly into my harness. Right now I have the wonderful SES light that comes on at all times, and when I pull the codes I have P0155 and P0135.
Now, I'm wondering a couple of things here. Is it possible that I wired these plugs incorrectly, or would I get a diffrent code? Would soldering these plugs into the harness cause this issue or should I be looking for another culprit.

As for the car it seems to run extremly rich with a horrible smell from the exhaust. I started the car this morning in the garage and the smell vented into the house and gave my wife a headache for a couple of hours. It seems to drive fine when cold, but when the car warms up it starts to surge and loose even more power in 1st and 2nd gear.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gjohnson
Ok, as some might know I've been working on my L33 swap in my 97 Nissan 240sx and I'm getting closer and closer everyday. Right now I the swap seems to be running like complete crap and I think I have a major loss in power. So here's the situation. My harness was cut pretty bad, so when I got it, it didn't have the O2 sensor plugs at all. I went down to the local autozone and picked up some new sensors and since I didn't have the plugs on the harness, I soldered the new O2 sensors directly into my harness. Right now I have the wonderful SES light that comes on at all times, and when I pull the codes I have P0155 and P0135.
Now, I'm wondering a couple of things here. Is it possible that I wired these plugs incorrectly, or would I get a diffrent code? Would soldering these plugs into the harness cause this issue or should I be looking for another culprit.

As for the car it seems to run extremly rich with a horrible smell from the exhaust. I started the car this morning in the garage and the smell vented into the house and gave my wife a headache for a couple of hours. It seems to drive fine when cold, but when the car warms up it starts to surge and loose even more power in 1st and 2nd gear.
Those codes are saying your O2 sensor heaters are not working properly/at all. Maybe the wiring is around the wrong way. certainly soldering them in to the harness would not cause problems unless the wiring was AA.

What PCM are you using for the LS33? 4 wire O2's?
Old 01-27-2010, 07:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am using a 04 GTO pcm. I think I am leaning toward the "not working at all". I just received the O3 sensor plug pinouts for the GTO as well as the 04 Truck harness, I will take a look at them later and compare.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:55 AM
Launching!

sounds like you got some wires crossed...it runs better cold because its open loop and not trying to use the o2 sensors
Old 01-27-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

That was my thoughts as well. I guess I will double check the wiring.

Oh, does anyone know if there is a source were I can buy the O2 sensor plugs from pinout to plug?

Last edited by gjohnson; 01-31-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, well I figured out my O2 sensor wiring was wrong so I rewired them, but today on the way home I got a few new codes.

The first was p0500 which is apparently for the VSS sensor. Does this mean my VSS sensor is bad or do I need to check a couple more things first.

The other codes were p0172 and p0175 which is that the system is too rich. What would cause these issues and should I check. Now, I am running my first tank of gas through the system so I treated it with seafoam. Would the seafoam cause this, or could it just be a side effect of the bad 02 wiring earlier? Thanks
Old 02-02-2010, 11:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone????????
Old 02-03-2010, 06:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Still looking for help!!!
Old 02-03-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Resident

So you have an 04 GTO PCM?

LS1 style most likely. Blue and Red connectors?

This PCM, and the 05/06 GTO ECM, is for a 24X crank.

Has your LS3 been changed from a 58X crank to a 24X?
Old 02-03-2010, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, I'm running the 04 GTO PCM which is LS1, blue and green connectors.

My engine is a L33, which should be 24x crank.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Resident

Oops. Mental dyslexia L33/LS3 :doh: !

04 GTO operating system in the PCM? What capacity is L33?
Old 02-04-2010, 10:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

No problem man. The L33 is the High Output all aluminum 5.3L that was found in 05-06 extended cab, 4wd Silverados. It has LS6 heads and I swapped in a LS6 cam and springs.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:54 PM
TECH Resident

OK. Was your VSS speed sensor wiring cut too? And repaired?

If you are getting rich codes it generally because the trims are hitting their pre defined limits when they try to adjust fuel to get it running at 14.7:1. Which is normally 15% rich. Dont know what seafoam does, but maybe it has an effect.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rsz288
OK. Was your VSS speed sensor wiring cut too? And repaired?

If you are getting rich codes it generally because the trims are hitting their pre defined limits when they try to adjust fuel to get it running at 14.7:1. Which is normally 15% rich. Dont know what seafoam does, but maybe it has an effect.
Yeah, my VSS wiring was cut and I had to wire in a new plug for the T56. I talked to my buddy Poconojoe the other night and he was saying I may need to got back into my wiring and make sure the VSS wires are twisted together again, which I'm pretty sure there not.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gjohnson
Yeah, my VSS wiring was cut and I had to wire in a new plug for the T56. I talked to my buddy Poconojoe the other night and he was saying I may need to got back into my wiring and make sure the VSS wires are twisted together again, which I'm pretty sure there not.
Yes PoconJ is right. The VSS wires should be twisted all the way. Helps stop them picking up noise from coils and injectors etc.

Quick Reply: O2 sensor help????