Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 67 camar0 LS1/4l60 swap thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 09:24 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those hose forming coils arnt worth a bent dick.... so I made a bracket for the hoses out of aluminum and mounted it to the inner fender.

I also mounted the cruise control module (2001 s10) and routed / hooked up the cable. Need to wire it up, I got a 89 corvette turn signal lever (one of the few gm levers without wiper controls with cruise buttons) and a stock 70 chevelle lever and will figure out a way to make the corvette lever use the chevelle mounting tab, so it will bolt right on to my stock column and put the lever in the stock location

car was running super rich and was mis-firing on cyl #6 so new oxygen sensor (local autozone only had 1) is on its way from rock auto (and new plugs).

I installed the radiator braces from summit last night as well, nice heavy billet, very happy with the quality. pics to follow.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:32 AM
Launching!

Sooo I've got about 160 miles on it now, just checked all the exhaust bolts, and the 02 sensors fixed the rich condition and the plugs/02's fixed the mis-fire i was getting. The car runs really nice.

Comparison of old vs new u bolts...
Name:  P4200001.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  135.2 KB
Name:  P4200003.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  193.6 KB

and here you can see the new support braces (fuzzy) and the cruise module installed by the brake master cyl.
Name:  P4280006.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  143.6 KB
Old 05-04-2010, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Klimaxx

and here you can see the new support braces (fuzzy) and the cruise module installed by the brake master cyl.
Have you wired the cruise up? I'm having issues with my cruise. 04 GTO pcm, bcm and 04 cruise lever. Can't get it to work so I was thinking of wiring it up as a stand alone system.

Sam
Old 05-11-2010, 06:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SamHatco
Have you wired the cruise up? I'm having issues with my cruise. 04 GTO pcm, bcm and 04 cruise lever. Can't get it to work so I was thinking of wiring it up as a stand alone system.

Sam
cruise works and is all done, but if your still throttle by wire the standalone will not help you. If you converted to cable, yep, it works
Old 05-11-2010, 06:56 AM
On The Tree

cruise works and is all done, but if your still throttle by wire the standalone will not help you. If you converted to cable, yep, it works
I've got cable throttle, still chasing down why the cruise won't work. How did you wire yours?

Sam
Old 05-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Launching!

I've got cable throttle, still chasing down why the cruise won't work. How did you wire yours?

Sam
first thing, do you have a double acting brake switch? (1 normally open/i normally closed) you need to hook up both sides correctly and they both need to cycle once per key up or the modules ready flag wont set, and you wont have cruise. I wired the speed input from the ecm's speedometer output. Ign and ground are pretty obvious, as well as the control switches. what cruise module are you using? I used an 01 s10 module that doesn't require the "cruse enable" from the PCM that the newer camaro/gto ones do.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

first thing, do you have a double acting brake switch? (1 normally open/i normally closed) you need to hook up both sides correctly and they both need to cycle once per key up or the modules ready flag wont set, and you wont have cruise. I wired the speed input from the ecm's speedometer output. Ign and ground are pretty obvious, as well as the control switches. what cruise module are you using? I used an 01 s10 module that doesn't require the "cruse enable" from the PCM that the newer camaro/gto ones do.
Yes, I have the double acting brake switch, and I have the clutch position switch. I'm using the 04 GTO control module as all my wiring is from the GTO... i.e. ecm, bcm, pim, and throttle control module.

Sam
Old 05-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Launching!

Yes, I have the double acting brake switch, and I have the clutch position switch. I'm using the 04 GTO control module as all my wiring is from the GTO... i.e. ecm, bcm, pim, and throttle control module.

Sam
if you have acess to a tech 2 or similar, see if the cruise enable is ready in the PCM. it could be looking for somthing (wheel speed sensors??) that was not disabled in your tune and so now the PCM thinks somthings wrong and wont set-cruise enable...or go to a junkyard, and put in an s10/blazer module and all the other wiring will be the same and you'll be good to go.

I've had 2 other issues adding this style cruise to other cars, one time the connectors pins had "relaxed" and wern't making good contact to the module, the other time the "good" servo i had gotten ...was bad.

hope it helps... BTW got any pics of your car/ interior?
Old 05-11-2010, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

if you have acess to a tech 2 or similar, see if the cruise enable is ready in the PCM. it could be looking for somthing (wheel speed sensors??) that was not disabled in your tune and so now the PCM thinks somthings wrong and wont set-cruise enable...or go to a junkyard, and put in an s10/blazer module and all the other wiring will be the same and you'll be good to go.

I've had 2 other issues adding this style cruise to other cars, one time the connectors pins had "relaxed" and wern't making good contact to the module, the other time the "good" servo i had gotten ...was bad.

Yep sure do.

Here is the link to my build

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conver...9-ta-vert.html

Sam
Old 05-11-2010, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

Would the plug to the s10 servo be the same as the 04 GTO? What I'm trying to say is are the wire connections in the plug in the same location as the GTO or will I have to relocation wires in the plug to match up with the s10 servo.

Sam
Old 05-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Launching!

Would the plug to the s10 servo be the same as the 04 GTO? What I'm trying to say is are the wire connections in the plug in the same location as the GTO or will I have to relocation wires in the plug to match up with the s10 servo.

Sam
wow, thats a beautiful ride!

its a direct plug in..... I looked at ebay item # 300286937732 for a refrence of your plug, it does mean you'll need a 4.3L s10 cruise cable to go with it, as the module mount is diffrent (mine came with my s10 box)

Last edited by Klimaxx; 05-11-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

i am 99% sure its a direct plug in.....
Thanks, at least I may have a plan B if I can't chase down the problem with the current setup.

Sam
Old 05-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Launching!

Thanks, at least I may have a plan B if I can't chase down the problem with the current setup.

Sam
you must be stalking me! lol, I looked it up on ebay to be sure...its the same plug.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

wow, thats a beautiful ride!

its a direct plug in..... I looked at ebay item # 300286937732 for a refrence of your plug, it does mean you'll need a 4.3L s10 cruise cable to go with it, as the module mount is diffrent (mine came with my s10 box)
If you look closely at the engine bay picture you will see a cruise control cable going under the wiper motor and over the master cylinder to the cruise module hidden behind the fender. I figured I'll reuse that.

Sam
Old 05-12-2010, 08:12 AM
Launching!

If you look closely at the engine bay picture you will see a cruise control cable going under the wiper motor and over the master cylinder to the cruise module hidden behind the fender. I figured I'll reuse that.

Sam
the cable looks like it mounts to the gto box diffrently than the s10 box, just FYI
Old 05-13-2010, 06:12 AM
Launching!

Drove the camaro to work for the first time yesterday, about 55 miles each way, 1/2 mile down the road i hit a bird and brake my original grill, new one is on its way..

where the bird broke the grill..effin robin
Name:  P5120026.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  105.7 KB

Name:  P5120024.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  110.2 KB

Cruise stalk made from 70 chevelle and 89 corvette parts
Name:  P5120031.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  110.7 KB
Name:  P5120029.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  129.7 KB
Old 05-13-2010, 08:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

thats looks awesome. a classic car with cruise control on it. oh and gotta watch out for those crazy animals. i hit a deer few years back and busted out my headlight and turn signal and cracked my fender. sucks but thats nature.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sscamaroburn02
thats looks awesome. a classic car with cruise control on it. oh and gotta watch out for those crazy animals. i hit a deer few years back and busted out my headlight and turn signal and cracked my fender. sucks but thats nature.
a buddy cut a bird in 1/2 with his antenna on powertour one year... the bird just exploded.. he *may* have been doing triple digits at the time...
Old 05-13-2010, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

a buddy cut a bird in 1/2 with his antenna on powertour one year... the bird just exploded.. he *may* have been doing triple digits at the time...
never knew what hit him. i am suprised the antenna made it LOL!! i drive alot in the country and I get so freaked out because i always see dogs and stuff out in the middle of the road.

BTW your build is very nice. these are one of the cars I will someday own. just a matter of time
Old 05-13-2010, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

haha. I hit a pheasant going 110 mph in my iroc-z with the t-tops off. My brother was in the passenger seat and it hit the top of the windshiel on his side. He looked over at me and said, "what's on my face?" He looked like Jack the ripper with the blood all over his face and hair. Good times. All birds can do major damage though.

Quick Reply: My 67 camar0 LS1/4l60 swap thread