Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSx Into 1968 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 11:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSx Into 1968 Cutlass

I've been really debating this for a while and I keep seeing all these parts coming out to make the A-Body swap a breeze and the cost of LS1 motors coming down and readily available and it just seems like it's the route I wanna go. I have a couple questions though. I've been reading up and it seems like there wouldn't modification with the parts they have available now. There is the edelbrock carb manifold kit with the ignition controller. Then the swap kits from BRP or other several manufactures with the motor mounts and all. I was wondering if using the current TH400 would be a problem especially if doing a carb swap. Also, GMPP makes the distributor, timing cover, and all that jazz. I was thinking to make things simple, take out the A/C and heater, put on an electric water pump and then the only accessories I would need would be the alternator and the power steering pump. The there wouldn't need to have any fuel tank swaps doing the carb swap because they make kits for a mechanical fuel pump swap on the LS1. Then, the wiring kits from painless seem like they would do the trick for that part. Is there more to it then what I'm thinking?
Old 01-28-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

First off, Welcome to LS1 Tech. there are alot of different ways to do what you want and Search can help you get specific info for the LS to turbo 400 swap IIRC it takes a spacer of some sort to adapt the trans(sorry I havent done that-my car is a 6speed) the biggest issues are the mounts and the pan fitment and since you want to go carbed no dont need a new fuel system -sorry I havent seen any mech fuel pumps for LS yet but if not a red Holley pump out back will do the trick (you dont want an electric pump in front- as its easier to push fuel instead of trying to suck it) Edelbrock, MSD and gm offer carb intakes/ignition controlers although IIRC GM stuff is usually MSD stuff thats renamed. keep doing your homework , pick a direction and get it done. If you run into any snags ask up there's lots of great help on this website! you may also look at the swap stickies for what others have done- theres lots of swapping here.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:29 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the welcome. I'm pretty sure sure I saw a mechanical fuel pump for ls1, but I don't remember where. But the swap seems pretty straight forward with very little fabrication granted the right kits are bought. I think I may want to to stick with the turbo 400 because of the no-wiring or computer issue, especially if I go with a carb. They did a whole special on horsepower tv where they converted an ls1 to a carb and it just make me think that this could be a little easier than I give it credit for. I've gone back and forth so much and the cost to have a nice used engine and all the swap parts would probably cost less than a built 455 olds and it would be more reliable and make plenty of street horsepower. It's just the whole oldsmobile motor vs everything else argument and I sort of see it, but in my opinion, an LS motor is a GM motor, not a chevy or a pontiac or an olds. I think that's the way I want to go. Now to search for a deal on a good used LSx motor. Another problem I keep thinking about is having a BOP TH400 and not a chevy TH400 might cause just a slight issue. All these companies like BRP performance or something like that make the motor mount kits and crossmembers and all that jazz, but if I can use my TH400, then I should only need the motor mounts and the headers and maybe figure out a way for the power steering pump and the alternator to coexist.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Olds turbo 400 won't bolt up to the LS1. It's got the BOP pattern and you have to have a chevy pattern.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:57 PM
Teching In

I wonder if they make an adapter though. If not then it looks like tranny and motor will have to be swapped.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that would be a pretty sweet swap i must say
Old 01-29-2010, 09:56 PM
Teching In

Well I will do my best to pull it off. As soon as the tax money comes back.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:54 PM
Teching In

J.W.PerformceTransmissions make a bellhousing that is a chevy and bop bolt patterns. You have to cut off your stock bellhousing and then it bolts to the front pump.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Staging Lane

BerBer - where are you located? A pic of my '68 LS1 Cutlass attached. Happy to help - PM me. Eric - Minneapols .
Attached Thumbnails LSx Into 1968 Cutlass-pict1019.jpg  

Last edited by Eric Anderson; 02-01-2010 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Added pic
Old 02-01-2010, 03:39 PM
TECH Resident

I say go for it I did in my cutlass. https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ject-pics.html

FYI it doesn't take a special gas tank to run EFI. Your bone stock tank will do just fine. IMO it is just as cheap and much easier to buy a complete engine trans combo with all the harnesses, pcm, acc, etc. It makes this swap very easy to do. Good Luck I have had no regrets selling my 455 and going LS powered.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.summitracing.com/search/D...?Ns=Rank%7cAsc

Im sure there are more out there, but these two pop right up. The TCI one says specifically for using a Chevy engine with a BOP trans pattern.....exactly what you want to do. I dont know what sort of hardware they come with, just remember that adapter takes up space, so either the motors gotta move forward or the trans has to move back a bit and that the converter bolts are gonna need to be longer too.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:27 AM
Teching In

I was just reading the latest issue of popular hot rodding magazine and Strange Engineering makes a Dana 60 to bolt right into the A-Bodies and a bunch of others. Talk about a heavy duty rear end. I'm thinking I might swap out that 10 bolt and put one of these in there. It costs around $1998 from what the article was saying. It's an upgraded rear end with limited slip and whatever ration gears you want. Sounds like to me
Old 02-01-2011, 01:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Eric Anderson
BerBer - where are you located? A pic of my '68 LS1 Cutlass attached. Happy to help - PM me. Eric - Minneapols .

fantastic.

do you have more pics. of you car? what trans. are you running?

and what happened with the original poster?

i just picked up a 68 cutlass and am pondering an LS1 swap also.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm doing a 72 cutlass 442 right now. I would reconsider keeping the efi.

Quick Reply: LSx Into 1968 Cutlass