Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

its official...nova is gettin a ls!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default its official...nova is gettin a ls!

ok guys just sold the small block and rearend out of my nova should give me enough for most the conversion. i already have a new 9" for it with wilwoods,Car already has a t56 six speed, just bought a set of ls3 heads and now i'm gonna track down a hopefully low mile lq4 6.0 and a carb intake and splice it all together.as of now i'm gonna go with this build on the engine http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ads/index.html
unless someone has a better idea on the cam design??? also thinking i may mill the heads a bit to bump compression up to 10 -10.25 area, anyone know how much i'll have to mill off? also since the engine build up is a few years old i was wondering if i should go with the gm intake or a edlerbrock one?
also looking for suggestions on best places/cheapest prices on headers,cam,intake,motor mounts , engine controller, oil pans....etc you get the idea
as it progress's i'll get detailed pics! wish me luck! lol(1st ls)
Old 02-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what year nova?

I'm stoked for you. I'm in the middle of my ls1 swap in my 63.

here she sits right now:
Old 02-05-2010, 06:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

mine is a 71, ive owned since i was 15...lol. she's a complete car right now....but she'll be engine less by monday night! lol! here it is... cant wait!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
nova0002.bmp (225.1 KB, 371 views)
Old 02-05-2010, 10:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Good lookin car..
Old 02-05-2010, 01:28 PM
11 Second Club

pretty mild cams ... read up in the gen4 section to get some cam ideas

have fun!
Old 02-05-2010, 02:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286447

See post 7 in the link above. They're LS2 goats w/ L92s, but it gives you a pretty good idea of what works. 8bygoat has been pretty helpful with cam selection. No need to get ridiculous with the cam choice (although i did).

ps - love the x-body. great year too.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just started my 71 Nova.. got a 02 LS1/A4 for it.. My Chevelle has been done for a few years now. It got a 99' LS1 w/Viper T56.

Keep us posted on your progress, I'll be watching. Once I get going, I will also start a project thread. But for now.. I sold the old engine and trans, started taking apart the front clip for resto on it and some new updates for suspension.

Just finished taking the heads off and taking them to the shop soon to get freshen up, pop a Cam in, using some ARP Rod and Head bolt and then will start the fitment of the mounts .. Oh, also using one of the new Restro-LSx swap pan.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Awesome! I'm just getting started on my 5.3/4l60E swap into my 70 nova too! Just getting stuff togeather.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for the input guys... i'm gonna start pulling the engine/trans/rear end out tonight,was gone this weekend .i'll post pics as i go. i should have my heads this week too. Also have to do a little trans work while its out,it pops out of reverse....
also thanks for the cam ideas, i'm really open to suggestions here...lookin for max "provin hp" while maintaining driveability (i.e being able to lug it in 6th gear on the highway) very new to lsx engines so what seems mild to you guys might seem huge to me coming from a gen1 SBC.! lol
Old 02-08-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Good deal, your gonna love the engine setup.

Since your new to the engines I would recommend reading up a bunch on the wiring and learn how to pin out your own harness, really helps you to figure out whats what and understanding (to an extent) how stuff works.

Good luck!
Old 02-08-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ssduane
Good deal, your gonna love the engine setup.

Since your new to the engines I would recommend reading up a bunch on the wiring and learn how to pin out your own harness, really helps you to figure out whats what and understanding (to an extent) how stuff works.

Good luck!
haha repin....right.....carb'd!!!! at this point my plan is carb and plug in msd box! lol!
go easy on me i'm just getting ready to switch from a gen1 sbc...baby steps! lol! actually i wouldnt ming the FI but there doesnt seem to be alot of tuners around here and i have a feeling it would be a major headache....good chance down the rd tho....
Old 02-08-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jasonsnova
ok guys just sold the small block and rearend out of my nova should give me enough for most the conversion. i already have a new 9" for it with wilwoods,Car already has a t56 six speed, just bought a set of ls3 heads and now i'm gonna track down a hopefully low mile lq4 6.0 and a carb intake and splice it all together.as of now i'm gonna go with this build on the engine http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ads/index.html
unless someone has a better idea on the cam design??? also thinking i may mill the heads a bit to bump compression up to 10 -10.25 area, anyone know how much i'll have to mill off? also since the engine build up is a few years old i was wondering if i should go with the gm intake or a edlerbrock one?
also looking for suggestions on best places/cheapest prices on headers,cam,intake,motor mounts , engine controller, oil pans....etc you get the idea
as it progress's i'll get detailed pics! wish me luck! lol(1st ls)
Looking at their graph on pg 3 of the dyno numbers , All your low end drive ability goes bye bye from 2200 to 4600 um thats way too much sacrafice.

Stay with the original combo used in dyno one and increase the cam a little, and do some porting. Compression wise go to 10.5 and higher. I wouldnt spend the extra money for that much of a loss

If going to the L92 setup ask pred z or pat z in the cam thread section

my 2 cents

Last edited by 8GTOKLR; 02-08-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:36 PM
Teching In

actually i wouldnt ming the FI but there doesnt seem to be alot of tuners around here and i have a feeling it would be a major headache....good chance down the rd tho....
Where are you located?
Old 02-08-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 8GTOKLR
Looking at their graph on pg 3 of the dyno numbers , All your low end drive ability goes bye bye from 2200 to 4600 um thats way too much sacrafice.

Stay with the original combo used in dyno one and increase the cam a little, and do some porting. Compression wise go to 10.5 and higher. I wouldnt spend the extra money for that much of a loss

If going to the L92 setup ask pred z or pat z in the cam thread section

my 2 cents
ok, so any suggestion on cam specs....whole idea of the LS build for me is to get to the 550fwhp mark and still have driveabilty which is tough to do on a gen1 sbc. looking at the dyno graph the engine made 378 tq @ 2200 rpms...i thought that was pretty good??? but i dont claim to be a pro. definatly open to suggestions on cam specs. and yes def going the l92 head route (already bought a set of ls3 heads)
Old 02-08-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mkelcy
Where are you located?
petersham Ma
Old 02-09-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok, so any suggestion on cam specs....whole idea of the LS build for me is to get to the 550fwhp mark and still have driveabilty which is tough to do on a gen1 sbc. looking at the dyno graph the engine made 378 tq @ 2200 rpms...i thought that was pretty good??? but i dont claim to be a pro. definatly open to suggestions on cam specs. and yes def going the l92 head route (already bought a set of ls3 heads)
This thread has a lot of info, also watch out for PTV clearance issues when heads are milled, and push rod lengths etc..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...s-learned.html

Also here is patrick g's website, you will have to make a slight donation for his services http://guerragroup.com/camshaft_help.htm
Old 02-10-2010, 07:04 PM

hey guys so im starting a ls1 swap to my 69 nova ss holy crap its alot of work but at the same time its not.. i need to know where to find motor mounts and adapter plates for the mounts for my motor to go in the car... and some tips on suspension. i like that retro look where the cars sits low with like 19's in the back and 18's in the front. ima prolly run the muncie 4spd i have or a tremec tko 600 5 spd.. havent decided. but i need to find mounts n stuff for the motor to go in. any ideas where to look? or where did yall get yall parts?
Old 02-10-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 69_Nova_Ls1s
hey guys so im starting a ls1 swap to my 69 nova ss holy crap its alot of work but at the same time its not.. i need to know where to find motor mounts and adapter plates for the mounts for my motor to go in the car... and some tips on suspension. i like that retro look where the cars sits low with like 19's in the back and 18's in the front. ima prolly run the muncie 4spd i have or a tremec tko 600 5 spd.. havent decided. but i need to find mounts n stuff for the motor to go in. any ideas where to look? or where did yall get yall parts?
do some research...lots of parts out there, biggest trick is finding parts that work with each other, so far i'm leaning towards dynatech headers, carshop inc. mounts, rear crossmember will depend on what you run for a trans i have a ats one.... i'm still looking at oil pan options now... i'm just in the parts list mode now just yanked the sbc last night....will have the $$$$ for everything this weekend! yahoo!
Old 02-10-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

out with the sbc....
tomarrow night out with the 12 bolt and in with the new 9"
Attached Thumbnails its official...nova is gettin a ls!-outwithsbc.jpg  
Old 02-10-2010, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

wow, looks like you had a pretty nice setup already!

Quick Reply: its official...nova is gettin a ls!