Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

66 Impala sedan 5.3/4l60 air ride

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 66 Impala sedan 5.3/4l60 air ride

Just started on my 66 Impala sedan 5.3/4l60 swap. I already did a 62 bel air and I don't think the 66 will be as hard, more room. The bel air was a cake walk, so i'm excited.

I just pulled a whole 5.3/4l60/harness/pcm/radiator/hoses etc out of my trans am to donate to the swap. I have AS ported 5.3 heads for the motor and a small 218/228 .550 cam. It will for sure get the cam, i'm up in the air whether I want to use the heads on a cruiser though. Picking up some gray center Boss 338 20s to put on it also.

Here's the car when i brought it home. Straight body no rust anywhere and a perfect interior! I'm into 4 door cars lately because they are so easy to find in good shape. I'll post up a photoshopped pic of one like it for reference on my plans.

Last edited by ZTwentyAteU; 03-02-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been plugging away at the project, getting all the BS stuff done.

I sprayed the engine bay epoxy black, firewall, fenderwells, crossmember. It looks real clean and sano, especially fo just spending a couple nights on it. It was super clean already so wasnt a big project.

I installed the cam, valvesprings and pushrods in the motor, cleaned it up, and painted the block, fast intake, and front cover storm gray tonight. I need to do the valvecovers next and clean the heads a little more and it will be ready to drop in when the motor mounts arrive.

intake

motor
Old 03-03-2010, 01:33 AM
Teching In

Hey yeah....
I did something similar with an LT1 & 4L60 E

Fast comfy car!

Kept it looking stock but she was speedy!
Drove it every day to work. Added disc brakes to help stop it.
Also had HID's for the Hi Beams. Awesome lighting!
Old 03-03-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

NICE! These things are almost twins
Old 03-05-2010, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Got the motor mounts in today. Hopefully I will drop the motor in tomorrow and snap some pictures
Old 03-06-2010, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

So I dropped the motor in today. No problem right>? LSX swap mounts and just bolt it in like usual? NO. Of course not. The oil pan decided it and the steering linkage needed to fight for position. 2 solutions: build mount stands to keep the pan above the linkage, or notch the pan. Well who guesses what I did? I busted out the FABracadabra skillz and built some stands real quick to mount it higher up. This will be fine for a while until I am able to get the pan notched and then I can get the trans angle closer to 0*. Its not bad right now but it still pisses me off. All I did was drill a center hole in the stock crossmember and bolted the trans in, cake son, cake. And what do ya know, the F body Pacesetter longtube headers fit like a glove, they even drop in from the top. Lots left to do but its in.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ZTwentyAteU
So I dropped the motor in today. No problem right>? LSX swap mounts and just bolt it in like usual? NO. Of course not.
Don't feel bad, I'm still waiting on the LS / Gen III / IV swap mounts or headers for something that actually fits what it was purchased for. I've seen everything from complete kits to turn 4 cylinder Miata's into fire breathing monsters down to simple mount / header kits that needed modifications to work. Is it really that hard, it must be. WTF?

I guess that's why I always build my own stuff, thank The Great Pumpkin I have decent fab skills.

Looking good. What are you doing for AC or are you going that route? Nice Photoshop, hahaha.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:23 AM
Teching In

What about changing the oil pan to a different profile?
Check out this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-oil-pans.html
Old 03-07-2010, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by helicopter mech
What about changing the oil pan to a different profile?
Check out this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-oil-pans.html
I'm definately looking into something in the future. right now I'm just trying to get it going. A pan swap, unbolt my brackets, and it will sit level. Its not far off enough to warrant the change right now.

I'll keep plugging away at it here and there and get it done. Guess i'm going to work on the harness next and get it ready to plug up.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not going AC for a while, car wasnt a factory AC car so i'll do vintage air down the road sometime. I'll sweat it out behind tinted windows this summer!
Old 03-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Teching In

Mine had A/C but tho I installed the engine with the A/C compressor I never used it. Makes me sneeze. Your ride has door posts, mine did not and when I drove with all the windows down, it felt like a convertible.
keep us informed
Old 03-10-2010, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did some odds and ends tonight, got some lower radiator supports made, slapped on valvecovers and loosely mounted the alt and stuff. Its coming together.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:12 PM

MY 1st post. Found your thread trying to find info on building a 66, 4 door specifically. Happy to see it was yours and we live in the same place.

I have the red 4 door. Revamping it now to be more like what we see on this site. My new Favorite site that is!

Loving your Thread.
I have seen your car around Nashville, we both live in MJ! I saw your car at Mikes alignment not to far back and almost broke my neck.

Man, I am excited to start doing some things to get my ride back on the road and got some plans stew-in.

I was talking to Tim, he just bought the 66 4 door post. He was telling me about the possibility of you helping me with some things with some compensation of coarse, though on a tight budget.

anyway man, when you get off the power tour I would love to link up with you and check out your ride first hand and touch bases.

I am in love with the photoshop lowrod you posted. that is pretty much what i am going for aswell. Im going to get some American eagle 225's though.

It would be very cool to see 3 66 4 doors cruising around Nashville.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Staging Lane

Looks to be a sweet project.

You're putting a sweet system in there right?
Old 07-19-2011, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Hey Nashville! I am doing a 65 Bel Air 2dr post car, but just getting started. What pan did you drop in, was it an f-body or truck pan and how far off was it. I have an 07 lq9 with a truck pan and have not had the chance to try a test fit yet. Any good pics of the bottom side would be appreiciated!!

Thanks OutlawX

Quick Reply: 66 Impala sedan 5.3/4l60 air ride