Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ9 rail mounted fuel regulator enough?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 11:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ9 rail mounted fuel regulator enough?

Hi all,
I'm installing an 2003 stock LQ9 into a 1972 Blazer. I'm using an in-line MSD2225 fuel pump. I have a high pressure filter as well.
The question is: Is the rail mounted fuel regulator going to handle the 100psi from the pump or do I NEED an additional in-line regulator?

Thank you
Old 03-01-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Nice looking project, clean '72 Blazers are hard to come by these days. As for your question, I wouldn't put 100psi to the stock regulator if it were mine. Are you using that pump because it's something you already have? I would use a more suitable pump rather than add another regulator to it if you are going to leave it stock, or close to it.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

That pump is not rated at any specific psi. The pump is rated by flow at specific volts, psi, and fuel specific gravity.
The system pressure is controlled by a regulator..In this case, you could add an adjustable reg after the rails, and use a return line.
Or, you could use a Vette filter/reg, and mount it at the tank, w/ a short return line, and do away w/ modding the rails, or running a return all the way from the engine.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys.

I was thinking that since the pump ( which I ordered ) was flow rated (as Geez described ) I would be fine with the rail mounted reg.
The concern comes when I'm at wide open throttle. Will that put the pressure too high for the rail reg. ?
I installed new hard fuel lines ( so I already have the return plumbed )and before I have the flex line made I wanted to ask around.
I suppose it wouldn't hurt to add a regulator but I really want to avoid adding more items to the eng compartment as I have more to add already like HID lighting control boxes, dual batteries etc.

My last project went well and was my daily driver for 4 years! ( sold it )

1966 Impala 1996 LT1 4L60E

THis was a fast a fast car and the whole family enjoyed it.
So roomy and smooth riding. Not like my kidney killer teeth knasher Blaze!

Stay tuned.
Marty
Old 03-02-2010, 09:05 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The stock regulator will do just fine, we have used them with A1000's making over 750 to the tires. They will hold pressure below 58 at idle with ease.

Quick Reply: LQ9 rail mounted fuel regulator enough?