Sponsored by:

wiring harness modification question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 11:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring harness modification question

Ok folks,

Just dragged my wiring harness in from the garage and have it laid out on the living room floor. Figured I'd start taking some of the useless things out tonight, but I can't even figure out how to get the red or blue caps off the pcm side or the gray cover off the back of the unit. All help appreciated. Does anyone have a pinout for a 2002 Yukon 5.3 wiring harness? It's going into a 72 nova which is keeping the powerglide. Any tips? All help appreciated!

Mike
Old 03-01-2010, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

lt1swap.com for the pin outs ,, as far as taking the red and blue caps off the pcm side I had to kind of pry/break the gray cover off....
when I did mine using the lt1swap info it has work just fine.; I will recommend you buy zipties and when you take the black insulator and have all the wires just there laying.. put a ziptie at the point where a branch breaks off the main harness.... I hope this makes senses.... that well help have the right lenght of wires to get them where you need to get them to...... I had a few that I ran the wrong way and had to reopen the harness to re route them.... good luck
Old 03-01-2010, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

well after you undo the 2 bolts(1 in each connector) they kinda just pry out, be careful the plastic is kinda weak. The gray cover just snaps in place, so a small flat head screw driver and be gentle, it will come loose.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Pinch the gray tops, they will come out eventually, you may break them, you may not. Its a crummy design. Find a FWD 3.8 car of the late 90's in a JY and grab the PCM connectors. They use a square body with easy to remove cover and accept the Red/Blue connector faces from your old harness

The Red/Blue faces have keeper tabs on the ends. Use something small and pointy like a jewelers screwdriver or soldering pick
Old 03-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks everyone! I figured out the red/blue cover at about 12:30 last night. I'll see if I can't get the grey covers off tonight. Good idea with using the zip ties to keep the general shape of the harness. Pocket: why would I want to change to the 3.8l connector. Maybe I'm confused, but I have to use the truck computer and wouldn't that prevent me from doing that? Or are you talking about for the powersupply into the body (or into the back of the fuse block? I'm sorry, I'm just confused. I'm having a really tough time wrapping my mind around this wiring issue even though I've read through the lt1swap site a few times.

Thanks again!
Mike
Old 03-01-2010, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Im talking about the PCM connector. The look better and are easier to mess with. Everything that went into your truck connectors will work in the 3.8 units. No big deal

Quick Reply: wiring harness modification question