Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New engine / manual trans in '79 C10

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New engine / manual trans in '79 C10

Hey guys, new to this forum so let me just say thanks in advance for the help. My dad had a perfect old '79 C10 that we used for everything when we were kids, but he has since gotten a new Duramax and the '79 is in pretty rough shape. My brothers and I are thinking about restoring it for him, and I like the idea of dropping a 6.0 vortec in.

It needs a new transmission, so I figured it would make sense to go with a NV4500. Has anyone done a swap with a 6.0 and a manual in this era pickup? It has the NP205 transfer case that is still in good shape, so if there were any way to bolt the NV4500 up to the NP205 with some kind of conversion kit, it would be worth quite a bit to me. I would prefer to not have to modify the driveshafts, etc if I have to move the transfer case.

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 79Chevy
Hey guys, new to this forum so let me just say thanks in advance for the help. My dad had a perfect old '79 C10 that we used for everything when we were kids, but he has since gotten a new Duramax and the '79 is in pretty rough shape. My brothers and I are thinking about restoring it for him, and I like the idea of dropping a 6.0 vortec in.

It needs a new transmission, so I figured it would make sense to go with a NV4500. Has anyone done a swap with a 6.0 and a manual in this era pickup? It has the NP205 transfer case that is still in good shape, so if there were any way to bolt the NV4500 up to the NP205 with some kind of conversion kit, it would be worth quite a bit to me. I would prefer to not have to modify the driveshafts, etc if I have to move the transfer case.

Thanks!
You can get an adapter kit for the NV4500 to NP205. Should have to mod driveshafts if you place the transfer case in the same spot. The problem is the NV4500 might be longer or shorter than the original trans. Modding the Driveshafts isn't a show stopper. Most shops around here charge $100 bucks or less for DS mods shorting them. Lengthening is more.

The good thing is the NV4500 came behind the 6.0L so should be that hard to do.

Quick Reply: New engine / manual trans in '79 C10