Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help from the El Camino/G Body Folks

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 05:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help from the El Camino/G Body Folks

Hi every one this is my first post so take it easy on the newb!
I just picked up today a l33 from a guy in town that I'd like to stick in my 82 el camino but I would really like some help on picking out parts if I could.
I have been doing a bunch of reading on here trying to find all the info I could but I thought I might tell you guys what I have and what I'm trying to do and get some feedback.
Ok fist the motor is an l33 out of a 05 and I would like to mate it to my th350. The guy gave me a ls1 intake that has fast fuel rails and he said 35 lb injectors on it. So now my questions:

1. I need a flexplate, should I get a factory one and get a tc spacer or buy a pre fit flexplate? I also need a starter to match, are all the flexplates the same # of teeth?

2. I need a harness and pcm/ecu. I have the old truck harness but no ecu so should I just order a custom harness and if so who is the one to get it from?
That's the most important ? right now.

3. Motor mounts. I've read a bunch on here about them but what works the best? I don't have a/c on my car.

4. Is that ls1 intake and injectors going to work on the 5.3?

5. What throttle body and maf do I need to get. I want drive by cable. Also what has everyone done with extending the throttle cable to reach the throttle body and also what have people done about the transmission kickdown?

6. How bad is the truck oil pan on a g body? I don't mind it hanging down a little but half a foot is a little much.

7. He gave me a set of exhaust manifolds off a 02 vett I think. Will they clear alright on my elc?

8. Will all the front accessories work? I do have a cowl hood.

9. I was going to do a inline walbro pump. Is that a no no? Should I run a corvette filter on it?

Thank you guys for all of your help. I am so excited to get this running. I'm sure I'll have lots more questions but this is enough to get me started. I will try to get some pics up as soon as I can.
Thanks again. Dean
Old 03-13-2010, 07:57 AM
Teching In

lots of good gbody info on maliburacing.com look in the lsx convertion section.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:11 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

1. You could just get the GM LQ4 6.0l flywheel and GM spacer.

2. Depends if you are going to wire your own harness. If you are just use the harness you have and get a truck PCM and have it reflashed to delete the codes that you don`t need.

3. I`m not really sure it depends. If your going to use the truck oil pan the mounts don`t need to push the motor as far back as for an f-body oil pan. I used custom mounts to push it back as far as possible.

4. The LS1 intake and injectors will work if you reprogram for the larger injectors, change the wiring connectors for the injectors and re-work the front accy drive a little to make it fit.

5. LS1 TB if your running a LS1 intake, MAF for a truck (if your using the truck harness) and make sure the PCM is flashed for a truck MAF.

6. My f-body pan is flush so I would say 3" under for the truck pan.

7. Nope, they will come down right into the center of the k-member. 2000 f-body manifolds clear on my swap.

8. The front accys worked on mine, but the engine is mounted as low as possible, Also it is pushed back, others who didnt push it back as far had to run smaller PS pump pullys

9. Inline pump should work.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:43 AM
Teching In

Thank you sir for your input. Lots more reading and research.

Quick Reply: Help from the El Camino/G Body Folks