Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A nice alternative to buying an FI tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 01:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A nice alternative to buying an FI tank

I found this over at protouring. They even offer AN fittings. This is a nice alternative to let you use your factory fuel tank with extenal pump and regulator if you can't afford an FI tank. Looks like they have applications for most all the 60's cars.

http://www.robbmcperformance.com/index.html
Old 03-15-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Yeah. I seen this in a mag a while back. I thought about welding a pump retainer on the underside and didn't think it was worth the hassle. This would be great for someone who is running a exturnal pump though.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

A common issue that many conversions have is sucking air during acceleration or during hard corning (both are really the same thing) and are solved with a good sump and baffles or a surge tank. This product doesn't really help with those issues. You could use it with a surge tank though maybe as a lower cost solution. I like my fuel out back though, not under the hood.

--JMarsa
Old 03-16-2010, 10:57 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jmarsa
A common issue that many conversions have is sucking air during acceleration or during hard corning (both are really the same thing) and are solved with a good sump and baffles or a surge tank. This product doesn't really help with those issues. You could use it with a surge tank though maybe as a lower cost solution. I like my fuel out back though, not under the hood.

--JMarsa
For a street car this is a minimal issue. The only thing a sump buys you is the ability to be able to run full out on a low or empty tank. If you keep enough fuel in the tank 1/4 or more you will not know the difference. Even on low fuel with regular street driving you want have an issue. If you do it simply means you need to fill your car with gas.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Do you use one of these? I would rather not spend $400 on a spectra setup or mess with a giant Impala tank if something like this would work for casual every day cruising.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chuckd71
Do you use one of these? I would rather not spend $400 on a spectra setup or mess with a giant Impala tank if something like this would work for casual every day cruising.

No I didn't even use anything that nice. I simply bought a sending unit for my stock tank that had a retun line built in it. I used hi pressure fuel hose to mate it to a walbro 255 pump and vet filter regulater which I located close to the tank on a rail I installed across the frame of the car and had a local hyd shop make me a stainless jacketed hi temp hi pressue flex line and ran it to the engine bay. You can see it in my build thread. This part I posted would be nice if you wish to run AN fittings and hard lines.
Rocky
Old 08-31-2010, 05:18 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see a sock listed for it, you're going to pick up any rust or debris thats in you tank
Old 08-31-2010, 05:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The debris would be a concern.
Rocky, I'll check out your build thread to see what sending unit you used. Pretty sure the stock tank with some kind of fairly simple sending unit/ pump setup will work for me as well. I guess the stock tank maintained you fuel meter accuracy, or at least most of it?
Old 08-31-2010, 01:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I put a makeshift sump in my stock tank and it still starves sometimes if I have under half a tank and corner hard left.

If you play with your toys you will regret not having something better.

Quick Reply: A nice alternative to buying an FI tank