Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck Intake to a LS1/LS6 Intake - w/o changing all the pulleys/pumps?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 01:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck Intake to a LS1/LS6 Intake - w/o changing all the pulleys/pumps?

I was was wonder what is the minimum that has to be done to a stock LQ4 to switch from a truck intake to a LS6/LS1 intake manifold.

I've always thought it was intensive as changing all all the accessory drive pulleys on the front of the engine + pumps + injectors + tune + etc. Is this correct or am I over thinking things?
Old 12-14-2011, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this in a hotrod project or a chevy/gmc truck? I'll assume that you have a chevy truck with the 6.0 lq4 in it...

Ok first thing is the intake itself, you will have to get the matching fbody/corvette fuel rail and injectors. You will also need to get the adapter wire harnesses (they are the ev1 to ev6 injector adapter harnesses, check on ebay.) Thats about $300 if you find good deals.

Next you will need to do one of two things to correct for the ls6 intake/throttle body hitting on your water pump outlet pipe (The big one on top)...buy an fbody water pump or heat and modify your stock truck pump.

If you choose to get the fbody water pump you will again have two options...either swap all your accesories over to the fbody ones = expensive, OR you can swap the original truck water pump pulley onto the fbody water pump.

And if you are doing it the right way you will have to get a tune to account for the different manifold charecteristics...also you might run into issues with aparting you fuel/evap system to the fbody fuel rail...

Hope i didnt scare you by laying this on you, it will definately be worth the effort in the higher rpms after you make the switch although you might give up some lof that low end torque of the truck manifold...its always a trade off

Another bonus is if you get 98 fbody fuel rail/injector that year had the biggest factory injectors at 28.8 lbs so you will be able to tune in more fuel to match the increased airflow...

Holler at me if you got anymore ?s...good luck!
Old 12-14-2011, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just now saw that you have this motor in a street rod, so if you have the truck wiring harness then you still need fuel rail and injectors and injector adapter harnesses. If i was you i would heat and bend the truck water pump neck to accomodate for the new intake/tb positioning
Old 12-14-2011, 03:19 PM
TECH Regular

Look at my photobucket, I went from a truck 6.0 to a LS1 intake on the cheap.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
Is this in a hotrod project or a chevy/gmc truck? I'll assume that you have a chevy truck with the 6.0 lq4 in it...

Ok first thing is the intake itself, you will have to get the matching fbody/corvette fuel rail and injectors. You will also need to get the adapter wire harnesses (they are the ev1 to ev6 injector adapter harnesses, check on ebay.) Thats about $300 if you find good deals.

Next you will need to do one of two things to correct for the ls6 intake/throttle body hitting on your water pump outlet pipe (The big one on top)...buy an fbody water pump or heat and modify your stock truck pump.

If you choose to get the fbody water pump you will again have two options...either swap all your accesories over to the fbody ones = expensive, OR you can swap the original truck water pump pulley onto the fbody water pump.

And if you are doing it the right way you will have to get a tune to account for the different manifold charecteristics...also you might run into issues with aparting you fuel/evap system to the fbody fuel rail...

Hope i didnt scare you by laying this on you, it will definately be worth the effort in the higher rpms after you make the switch although you might give up some lof that low end torque of the truck manifold...its always a trade off

Another bonus is if you get 98 fbody fuel rail/injector that year had the biggest factory injectors at 28.8 lbs so you will be able to tune in more fuel to match the increased airflow...

Holler at me if you got anymore ?s...good luck!

You actually have another option here. Buy water pump spacers .75" and use the f car pump and this does not require cutting or bending the pipe
Old 12-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Launching!

You will have to cut your Alt/PS bracket.
The newer truck water pumps (I think 07+) work with the LS1 intake with no modification. You can get the pump from the local parts store (Adv*nced) for about $100 if you use the coupon code and order online.
You'll also need to make an idler relocation bracket. I can post pictures up later if you want to see them.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

I did pretty much the same thing as zipster on my 5.3, only i drilled and tapped my water pump using a 1" pipe thread tap, then used a 1" NPT to 1 1/4" hose fitting i bought locally and put a frost plug where the old outlet was.

see post 50 in my build thread for a picture
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...3-build-3.html
Old 12-14-2011, 05:53 PM
Launching!

thanks for all the replies everyone!!

the main reason i was looking at getting a ls1/ls6 intake was the hood clearance issues(see sig). but it looks like it would be cheaper to go with a glasstek cowl(about $600) FOR NOW since my lq4 is a turnkey setup that has already been tuned.

i still plan on going with a ls6 intake before my next tune(either fi or c/h/i), so hopefully if i go with a cowl now then i can put the extra room to use down the road.

saw this on a jeep website

Old 12-14-2011, 05:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by El S1 Camino
I did pretty much the same thing as zipster on my 5.3, only i drilled and tapped my water pump using a 1" pipe thread tap, then used a 1" NPT to 1 1/4" hose fitting i bought locally and put a frost plug where the old outlet was.

see post 50 in my build thread for a picture
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...3-build-3.html
love the 6x9 in the dash! i def need to do that down the road when i start on my audio system.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nichoms
You will have to cut your Alt/PS bracket.
The newer truck water pumps (I think 07+) work with the LS1 intake with no modification. You can get the pump from the local parts store (Adv*nced) for about $100 if you use the coupon code and order online.
You'll also need to make an idler relocation bracket. I can post pictures up later if you want to see them.
Thanks for this, I'm thinking the 07+ water pump is the way to go. That doesn't require any spacers to make the belt line up right?

Quick Reply: Truck Intake to a LS1/LS6 Intake - w/o changing all the pulleys/pumps?