Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steam vent:

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steam vent:

Currently, they point to the driver side, can these be taken off and turned around to face the passenger side?
Old 03-16-2010, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

Well, partially just answered my own question - time for a new steam valve.

What I'm trying to accomplish is this:

Using a radiator that has the inlet and outlet on the same side like the water pump to have a cleaner looking engine bay. The radiator does not have the steam valve inlet in it, so an adapter to the radiator hose has to be placed in.

Other than taking the radiator to a shop and having them drill in this hole, I was hoping to turn around the valve and point it to the passanger side so I could meet the adapter to the hose. It's a really sharp turn and will break the flimsy line - Has anyone been able to disconnect the line from the connectors and reapply?

Haven't really seen this question brought up before - nor a search result on it.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:33 PM
Staging Lane

Alright, looks like I'll be running a tap into the waterpump.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

A picture would help.........not tracking what you are saying, mine points straight towards the radiator on the driver's side...

T,
Old 03-16-2010, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, it shoots off in an angle towards the driver side, however I'm opting to use a radiator with the in & out on the passanger side (matches the water pump - cleaner look) and was hoping to basically flip the design of the steam vent - basically so instead of the outlet coming out on the driver side of the throttle body it comes out on the passanger side of the throttle body since the two radiator hoses will be over there.

I'm seeing a varying assortment of steam vents so I think I'll swing over to the dealership tomorrow & see what they've got. I'll most likely end up having to tap to the waterpump.

Just trying to clean up as much stuff as I can while I've got the downtime.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:28 AM
Teching In

Quick Question to those in the know, similar question:

I have an overflow stem coming off the fill neck of the radiator, can I Tee the steam vent into the line running to the overflow tank?
Old 03-17-2010, 06:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ChrisBorsheim
Yeah, it shoots off in an angle towards the driver side, however I'm opting to use a radiator with the in & out on the passanger side (matches the water pump - cleaner look) and was hoping to basically flip the design of the steam vent - basically so instead of the outlet coming out on the driver side of the throttle body it comes out on the passanger side of the throttle body since the two radiator hoses will be over there.

I'm seeing a varying assortment of steam vents so I think I'll swing over to the dealership tomorrow & see what they've got. I'll most likely end up having to tap to the waterpump.

Just trying to clean up as much stuff as I can while I've got the downtime.
I think a truck steam line comes out on that side, and should work.

Originally Posted by themonkeyman89
Quick Question to those in the know, similar question:

I have an overflow stem coming off the fill neck of the radiator, can I Tee the steam vent into the line running to the overflow tank?
I wouldn't recommend that, there will be positive pressure at the overflow, in case of an overheat, and your cap is sealed until the pressure gets high enough for the cap to release, so no place for the steam/water to go in, that is exit only. It really needs to be in a return side of the cooling system, i.e. upper hose, or return from heater core, or water pump...

T,
Old 03-17-2010, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

Tom's always got the answers, and so thorough too. (no sarcasm - it bothers me when people give short vague answers)

I'm going to run up to the dealership in the next day or so and see what's available.

Still deciding on the radiator. The one I'm looking at doesn't have a transcooler in it/lines so I'll have to run an external which I'm not really interested in doing. However I've seen some people mount theirs to the floor of the car? Tom, what's your thoughts on this. I think you know my mind - clean as possible - hence my discomfort for running an external transcooler.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

I mounted my cooler underneath to the floor under the pass. seat, but don't like it. There is no room up front with the condenser. My radiator has no provision for a cooler, so that's out. I like the external coolers better, but that's just me. I had it in front of the radiator, until I remounted my A/C.. I really need to find a new place for it. Not a lot of real estate on these little cars....

Thanks for the kind words bro....just trying to keep folks from making the same mistakes I have in the past...

T,
Old 03-17-2010, 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I understand your question correctly, you want a tube that comes out on the driver side and faces forward? Here is a picture of the one on my carbed LS2 that fits that description. Problem is I'm not sure what it's off of. Probably Corvette. At least it shows that what you want is available. Hope this helps. Ron
Attached Thumbnails Steam vent:-cp42.jpg  
Old 03-17-2010, 02:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rojs234
If I understand your question correctly, you want a tube that comes out on the driver side and faces forward? Here is a picture of the one on my carbed LS2 that fits that description. Problem is I'm not sure what it's off of. Probably Corvette. At least it shows that what you want is available. Hope this helps. Ron

Exactly, mine pointed upward (toward the hood) and hard towards the driver fender making the bend too sharp to just route. Thanks for that picture.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

this might be a dumb question but i don't know the answer, I'm guessing you are talking about that cross over tube that goes from head to head and then to the water pump? what is that exactly? and what does it do? is that all you have to do to hook it up? is there a spot on all water pumps to do that or do you have to drill and tap a whole?
Old 03-19-2010, 09:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by danbap
this might be a dumb question but i don't know the answer, I'm guessing you are talking about that cross over tube that goes from head to head and then to the water pump? what is that exactly? and what does it do? is that all you have to do to hook it up? is there a spot on all water pumps to do that or do you have to drill and tap a whole?
Yes, were talking about that cross over tube. It's a steam vent that allows for condensation built up in the heads to escape. Normally, there's a separate line that runs them into the radiator, but I'm optiong for a cleaner install.

Waterpump question: that's something that's been done by the guys on the forum - yes they had to run a tap for that.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

That's off of a Truck..I have a couple of them laying around.

If I was home I would send one to you.

They are not that hard to bend, try reshaping it.

Last edited by the_merv; 03-19-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

thank you very much.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Resident

Wegner Automotive makes individual steam port adapters with a 1/8NPT that allows you to plumb it any way you want.
http://s41657.storefront-solutions.c...l.aspx?ID=3289

Andy1
Old 03-24-2010, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

Hi Merv, On the pic you posted, there is a tee and on end you plumbed to the water pump but the other is just open? Can you explain where that port will go?

Also, the factory sends this "steam" vent to the middle of the radiator. Is the water pump an appropriate substitute place?

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2010, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the race cars I tapped those holes on the heads front and rear and plumbed then with -4 line and fittings to the coolant reservoir at the systems high point.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by markeheiden
Hi Merv, On the pic you posted, there is a tee and on end you plumbed to the water pump but the other is just open? Can you explain where that port will go?

Also, the factory sends this "steam" vent to the middle of the radiator. Is the water pump an appropriate substitute place?

Thanks!
That's not my Engine..that is just the pic that was up there..

You talkin about that one barb with the rubber cap on it? That is for the PCV System.

Where it currently is in the Waterpump is a good spot for it also.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:31 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by markeheiden

Thanks!
Just to be clear...for the newer and younger members. The picture posted of my carbureted engine shows the hose routing to the water pump. You have to tap it at this location and use various fittings to hook up the hose or braided line or whatever. Not shown, but obvious to most, you have to use some type of clamps to make it water tight. The tube sticking up from under the manifold with the rubber cap on it is, as * the_merv * said part of the PCV system (like an LS6). Since my engine is carbureted, I use a PCV valve in the driver side valve cover and a breather on the oil fill on the passenger side valve cover. Hope this makes it clear. Ron

Quick Reply: Steam vent: