Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Oil pressure gauge interface to PCM

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 11:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post New Oil pressure gauge interface to PCM

I am installing a 2002 Camaro LS1 into a 1972 Camaro and trying to understand all the interface issues between the new and old systems. I am installing new Autometer electronic gauges. I assume that the PCM likes to have a signal from the oil pressure sender. I also want an oil pressure signal to my Autometer gauge. If I use the factory oil pressure sender (to make the PCM happy), is there then an output from the PCM compatible with my new Autometer gauge? Or do I need to find a place on the engine to install a second oil pressure sender for the Autometer?
Many thanks for your attention.

Bo
Old 03-19-2010, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 02 PCM doesn't need the Oil input to run. And unless your swapping in the 02 Camaro gauge cluster, it is not needed or would need the BCM unit and harness.

You can do use the oil sender location for your Autometer Gauges or use the bypass plate (above oil filter) to put the sender there. (tip, use the 02 sender, break off the black plastic part, tap it for your gauge and you have a free adapter).

I use both locations on my Chevelle, one for the Gauge and one for the Chevelle factory idiot light on the dash. So I have both a Autometer Gauge and a dash warning light.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Regular

Would an '04 Tahoe with 5.3L need the oil pressure signal to the PCM?
Old 03-19-2010, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure. but most of these oil pressure are dummy ones that the BCM controls using input from the sensor and not to the PCM (could be wrong).. and not really a direct reading.. if you research there are threads talking about this subject.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:39 AM
Teching In

Thanks bczee! That leaves me with two choices for the location, and I can remove the old wiring from the 02 harness to clean up a bit.
I see on a video from Street & performance that I also need a new temp sender for the Autometer gauges, and that the preferred location is passenger side all the way back on the side of the head (rear of the last exhaust manifold bolt), where there is a plug which can be used with and adapter or drilled and tapped. I just got three dvd videos from them and they are very interesting and to the point for many "stupid" questions regarding LS1-LS6 and the differences. Highly recommended!
Old 03-21-2010, 11:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by spacemanspif
Would an '04 Tahoe with 5.3L need the oil pressure signal to the PCM?
No, you don't need it on a 2004. IIRC, It wasn't until they went to DOD that the PCM needed it.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks LS1nova71...another hidden charge that won't show up unexpectedly :-)
Old 03-21-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The 2006 and down truck PCM's don't use the oil pressure sender. It is routed to the PCM on some PCM's but it basically justs passes through it.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:11 AM
Teching In

Another one: My circuit diagram from the Camaro 2002 engine tells me that the fuel level sensor gets +5V from the PCM! But my Autometer gauges (like most) are made for +12V. This would mean that the fuel level gauge will not be functioning properly if the signal comes from the PCM. Does anyone know if the PCM is using this signal (it looks to me as if the PCM just provides a voltage, not really measuring this? If it is not, I could feed the sensor in the tank from +12V instead.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Unless you're doing a full emisions swap, you don't need it. Just wire it up the way you would normally wire it up, and forget about the PCM part of it,it wouldn't work with your fuel sender anyway. That and the fuel tank pressure sensor along with all the other emission stuff can just be programmed out of the PCM.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Teching In

Thanks ls1nova!
That simplifies a lot!
I installed the Autometer oil pressure sender today, but I choose to leave the factory in there (even if it will not be used any longer) and install the new one in the blockoff plate above the oil filter. That was the easiest to do. Easy to reach, easy to take off the plate, and then a small drill to open up the channel and a 1/8-24 NPT tap and the sender went straight in!
I have a pix, but seems that I need to put it on a website first, and not just copy it here?
Bo
Old 03-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Teching In

I found a source with lots of information on how to transplant a LS1 into almost anything 1960-1985.
Go to www.painlessperformance.com and download the manual for their kit #60608. This is an excellent manual for anybody doing a LS1 swap! Many thanks Painless for this! I have cheated on you and used American Autowire for this project, but Painless is one league higher!

Quick Reply: New Oil pressure gauge interface to PCM