Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dakota Digital cruise control on 5.3?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dakota Digital cruise control on 5.3?

Hey everyone, what I am working on is my 5.3 swap (2000 motor) in my 51 Monarch. I wanted to retain the stock interior appearance, so went with the non-signal arm control / dakota digital cruise control kit. I did all the self tests after I had it all wired up, and everything seems as though its working great, all except for when you try it out. What happens is when the set button is pushed, it will either just lightly bump the throttle & kick out, open it WOT & kick it down a few gears then kick out, or just do nothing sometimes. It really makes no sense to me, I have no clue what could be causing it to be so all over the board like this. Hopefully someone else has encountered this & can lead me in the right direction. I have the tach signal coming from the ECU, & operating my tach aswell, so its good, and also have my VSS signal coming directly off my VSS sensor (also the same signal that drives my Cable X box for the speedo), so I know its good. Everything seems to be in order. Any suggestions or advise would be great, as I don't know what else to try. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

have you called DD and asked them, their tech support from when I called them in the past was very helpful, might try them out. Good Luck!
Old 03-21-2010, 03:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Cable or DBW TB?
Old 03-21-2010, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by garys 68
Cable or DBW TB?
A 2000 5.3 should be cable - at least mine was.

Sounds like it could be an exciting ride! I would give DD a ring, I've used their products and never had problems. My bet is you are overlooking some simple setting or the unit is defective.

Good luck!

BTW, can we see a few pictures? Pretty please?
Old 03-21-2010, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
A 2000 5.3 should be cable - at least mine was.

Sounds like it could be an exciting ride! I would give DD a ring, I've used their products and never had problems. My bet is you are overlooking some simple setting or the unit is defective.

Good luck!

BTW, can we see a few pictures? Pretty please?

Thanks for the posts guys and good call on overlooking something simple. What it turned out to be for if anyone ever has this problem - I had the VSS wire running directly off the speed sensor on the trans to the VSS hookup on the cruise (the same way I have my Cable-X box hooked up, as I originally ran the Cable-X VSS wire from the ECU & it did not work, from doing some research I found you needed to run a direct wire from the sensor). Anyways, supposedly the signal directly from the sensor is a Sine wave signal, the box is set up to run a Square wave signal. When the signal runs through the ECU, it converts the signal to a square wave. SO, after hooking it up through the ECU - works 100%. The car is now ready for my road trip to Viva Las Vegas next week.

As for pics, I have some on the thread listed below - NOTE: Digital gauges are no longer in car, as I built the dash to get the car going, now have a fully restored stock looking dash with all new guts - works GREAT!
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...cs-thread.html

Quick Reply: Dakota Digital cruise control on 5.3?