Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cooling fan

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 05:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cooling fan

i have an carb'd lq4 swapped 01 gt and i was wondering what you guys do for cooling fans? i had the stock one wired to ignition on voltage and it took a dump on me at the track, i guess it can't handle being on ALL the time. any suggestions.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a EFI but I guess you could buy one of those thermostats with the sensor that can send a ground to a relay you can buy them from jegs or summit racing. they have different temps so you get the one you need, the local napa store might have them also... good luck
Old 03-22-2010, 05:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would replace it with another stocker since that is what you are already set up for.

Painless makes a thermostat switch that threads into the stock head. Unfortunately they only sell it as a kit with a relay and wire. I have yet to find a source of metric thread temp switches, so if you want to go that way you need to turn down a 3/8 NPT one and rethread to fit.

Another option is splicing a fitting into a hose to fit a standard 3/8 or 1/2 thread switch.

I have an adjustable fan switch that works off a probe in the radiator fins. Think it was $40 from Jegs. Generally not the best solution but a bit of plumbers dope on the probe to shield it from the wind has it working fine.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Most radiators have a port for a switch and generally uses pipe threads. Nothing wrong with mounting a thermo switch up there

Pop has some great alternatives