Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 1967 chevelle project Finally begins......

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My 1967 chevelle project Finally begins......

I bought this car about a month ago. Yes it is a supersport and yes has rust but worried about getting it running before i attack the body and paint.
After lots of reading and patience from the ups,usps and fedex guys I got some parts in and could begin.
Engine is out of a 2004 yukon. 5.3 with 26k miles on it. The car came with bigblock engine mounts so i decided to reuse those. I wanted to keep everything and make it work but like everyone else some stuff had to be interchanged.
I ended up using an ls1 waterpump I had laying around and ordered some waterpump spacers. Back to the mounts, when i dropped the engine in, the oil pan was touching the crossmember, powersteering pulley was touching the steering box, and oil pan was hanging way to low. So I had a set of 1inch metal spacers made to raise the engine to solve all my problems. i also cut up the alternator bracket to make room for the dbw throttle body and the exhaust manifolds bolted up and have clearance between my radiator/fans and engine, but lots of clearance for my transmission.
Ill get more pics up for parts/part #s because thats what helped me on my build so Ill return the favor. Today hopefully fab up the harness, ecu is in from tuning and some hoses and a shorter belt and hopefully get it started.
As for the trans I had a th350 rebuilt and had an extra crank spacer with longer bolts so ill be using that.
Radiator is a cheapy from champion radiators. Direct bolt on and came with 2 fans.

Were the crappy pics for now, detailed ones tomorrow perhaps. These were off my iphone (no flash). Please leave ur comments or suggestions. This is my first lsx swap.
Enjoy.
The car just delivered at home

the engine wearing it run and after taken home.

just a mock up.

Ive always like the coils being cover but thats just me

Took it apart and painted it

This was after all the work and frontend just mocked up.

This is what i want as the final product. so Im helping my uncle the body/paint guy with his cars and home alot(for free) and he already offered to do my cars bodywork and paint for free so it paid off.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man if it looks like that when its done it should look real nice.. my 65 should be done in a couple weeks with its ls2 turbo
Old 03-19-2010, 04:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like your off to a good start.. keep the thread going..

Since your raising the engine with the 1" spacer. The Truck front accessories have always been questioned to fix under the hood, you said you cut or mod'd the Alternator bracket for the DBW.. but will it fit under the hood ?

just wondering ..
Old 03-19-2010, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Hood isn't gonna close. Butim gettig brackets made so that the alternator will be placed on the side instead of on top of the bracket.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Cool. Keep that old muscle car alive!
Old 03-19-2010, 11:12 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sweet build- you need to treat yourself to one of these now
Attached Thumbnails My 1967 chevelle project Finally begins......-2010-col-44-67-chevelle-ss-396-dk-red.jpg  
Old 03-20-2010, 02:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats awesome. Can't wait to get my 65 buick off the backburner.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:51 AM
On The Tree

Car wil look nice when done!!
Old 03-23-2010, 04:43 AM
On The Tree

this is good stuff. will be doing the same with my 67 chevelle conv down the road. started buy`in parts for the 5.3. have the intake,tb,fuel rail and injectors, and a new rad. so you have the truck oil pan on with nothing hit`in it. you just used some spacers to lift it up. did you check the steering lock to lock. if it is ok take some pics of your mounts and spacers. thanks mike
Old 03-23-2010, 07:56 AM
Teching In

Great Start... Looking good

Quick Reply: My 1967 chevelle project Finally begins......