Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1959-1964 impala rear end housing strenght?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 12:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1959-1964 impala rear end housing strenght?

Before I rebuild the rear end on my 63 impala I'm wondering if it is safe to keep the factory housing. I have heard that it wouldnt be stronger enough to handle a ls2/4l60 swap by some and other said it should be fine. has anyone had problems with the rearend? are there any pro's and con's?
Old 04-09-2010, 05:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mr Lavish
Before I rebuild the rear end on my 63 impala I'm wondering if it is safe to keep the factory housing. I have heard that it wouldnt be stronger enough to handle a ls2/4l60 swap by some and other said it should be fine. has anyone had problems with the rearend? are there any pro's and con's?
I blew 4 rears in one day with a 283 and 4speed trans in a 61 chevy i had many moons ago, I could litterly swp out the third unit in about 25 minutes. These rears are not the strongest if your going drag racing the spiders are probally the weakest point. Possibly swapping out the carrier for a posi unit may help vs the open style differential. If this is not a drag racer and more of a cruiser with some sporadic burnouts then it would probally be fine. If your looking to add some DOT slicks on it and want to take it to the track look for a 12 bolt or 9 bolt rear which would probally have to be custom built or ordered for your car.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Staging Lane

Dang! I want a cruiser I'm not dragging but every so often I would like hit it hard. I was going to rebuild everything in the rear but they say I would still snap the rearend. If you blew 4 rears with a 283 I may not have a chance with the ls2
Old 04-09-2010, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Some of those cars came with 409s rated at 425hp. With your intentions I'd say it would be fine. In 7 years with a mild small block and quite a few trips to the track only problems I've had were I spit out a few spider gear teeth one night and I can't get the o rings on the bearings to seal so it leaks a little fluid all the time.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Launching!

I have a 62 Biscayne with a roller 355,stall convertor and a turbo 350. I drive it hard, but I don't beat the thing to death.I'm running 20's on the back with heavy rims. The rear holds up pretty decent. Like the guy above posted they came with 409's and 400 plus hp. They lasted. Slicks or the track will be hard on it. But if your cruising a auto tranny is easier on the rear end that a stick car would be.

Quick Reply: 1959-1964 impala rear end housing strenght?