Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starter solenoid...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default starter solenoid...

do they sell this piece separately at the auto part store??? i can't seem to locate it online...i ripped the solenoid apart somehow...i think it snagged on something while i was positioning the motor via the cherry picker...
Old 04-09-2010, 09:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i dont think so. check at junkyards, they usually have the entire starter for around 60 bucks with core.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

**** **** **** ****....blah!!!!!! i didn't wanna hear that....
Old 04-10-2010, 06:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know how damaged your solenoid is but now may be a good time to convert to a remote solenoid set up. Brand new at Napa starting around $12. (Yes, it's for a Ford!)
Old 04-10-2010, 08:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Old Kid
I don't know how damaged your solenoid is but now may be a good time to convert to a remote solenoid set up. Brand new at Napa starting around $12. (Yes, it's for a Ford!)
any more specific details??
Old 04-10-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Kid
You still need the one on the starter to engage the pinion into the flywheel. I don't think you can get by with physically removing the stock one. The remote set up just allows more juice to make it to the stocker.

you might try a local parts store and see if they sell a solenoid for your starter.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
You still need the one on the starter to engage the pinion into the flywheel. I don't think you can get by with physically removing the stock one. The remote set up just allows more juice to make it to the stocker.

you might try a local parts store and see if they sell a solenoid for your starter.
i looked into the ford remote solenoid...in all the diagram i've read/seen on the net...all of it seems to be in conjunction with the original solenoid...but to be honest...i don't see y it wouldn't work with the starter by itself...because all the solenoid does is open/close contact to give the starter motor voltage...

with that said...i think if i do go with the remote solenoid...it'll make things even more ugly in my engine bay....i checked my solenoid...the battery terminal has been ripped out of its housing...the black plastic housing around the 3 terminal are broken in 3 pieces with the 3 terminal in each piece...the two big terminal post are just contacts it seems...and the small terminal post that goes to ignition switch has two small wire running thru the solenoid...it seems to be intact...gonna superglue the housing together to see if it holds...then maybe bench test it...later i might throw on some jbweld if it holds...
Old 04-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Teching In

for gods sake dude just buy a new starter. they are like 60 bucks on ebay. thats where I got mine and it has been cranking hard every time.

Also, FWIW, I used a ford starter sol along with the stock sol.

I put a ls1 in my 7, and used the ford sol to power the long as **** heavy *** wire that powers the starter. That way, I have 6" of unfused heavy wire that has 12v all the time, as opposed to 3' of wire.

Just a thought.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Marshessn
for gods sake dude just buy a new starter. they are like 60 bucks on ebay. thats where I got mine and it has been cranking hard every time.

Also, FWIW, I used a ford starter sol along with the stock sol.

I put a ls1 in my 7, and used the ford sol to power the long as **** heavy *** wire that powers the starter. That way, I have 6" of unfused heavy wire that has 12v all the time, as opposed to 3' of wire.

Just a thought.

i was gonna buy today actually from lkq...but they closed on weekends...so if i get the moving and get everything up by tomorrow...imma test it with my booboo *** starter...lkq has it for 35...since u're in houston...wanna lend me urs??? hehehe...
Old 04-10-2010, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

"booboo *** starter"
Old 04-11-2010, 04:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you said ripped apart you really mean it! Yeah, you need the original solenoid on the starter to use a remote set up. Any shops in your area that rebuild starters and alts? They may have parts you need but may cost as much as a new starter.

Quick Reply: starter solenoid...