Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 swap into a 97 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 10:10 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS3 swap into a 97 Camaro

Hi guys, this is my first post here and was looking for some ideas on this swap. I have been searching on this site for the last couple hours and thought I should make a thread. I recently picked up a 97 Camaro Z28 automatic.... the stock motor gave out, so I picked it up pretty cheap. I am a Ford guy so please bare with me. I would like to build a street/strip car nothing too crazy I already have a 8 sec. mustang. I am looking at picking up a LS3 crate motor and putting a cam in it. From what I understand its better to get a cam then their Hot Cam. I also see they sell the computer, pedal, and other misc stuff to make it work. I would like to get your guys opinions along with other stuff that will be needed for the swap. Thanks
Old 04-13-2010, 02:34 PM
FormerVendor

You guys have any feedback about this set up?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LS3-C...Q5fAccessories
Old 04-13-2010, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

Well the k member is different between an ltx car and LSX car (please note I am referring to the engine family not the new LSX block.) also please bear with me but its been awile for me so my info may be rusty the bell housing bolt pattern is different....now I know in 96 and newer ltx cars they had the analog dash so that required some equipment to adapt the ecu to the dash but in yours we should be ok! again I could be wrong.
Also the fuel system on an LS1 is return less where as the ltx is not so there may need to be some small changes there. However I think if your stock motor went an LS3 is a good place to start...also I dunno about buying an Ebay motor If you want a modded LS3 from the get go talk to our sponsors.
Because I dunno about you but if Im getting a modded motor like that I would like to know someone with a good reputation built it and will let me know what they recommend on the inside for my application. just my .02 There are a few people that have put LS3s into LSX cars and there were some things that needed to be changed to get it working I hope they chime in good luck with the project and post vids when your done ok!
Old 04-13-2010, 02:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

please keep this going am thinking to do the same...gd luck
Old 04-13-2010, 03:44 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Johnnypappis
Well the k member is different between an ltx car and LSX car (please note I am referring to the engine family not the new LSX block.) also please bear with me but its been awile for me so my info may be rusty the bell housing bolt pattern is different....now I know in 96 and newer ltx cars they had the analog dash so that required some equipment to adapt the ecu to the dash but in yours we should be ok! again I could be wrong.
Also the fuel system on an LS1 is return less where as the ltx is not so there may need to be some small changes there. However I think if your stock motor went an LS3 is a good place to start...also I dunno about buying an Ebay motor If you want a modded LS3 from the get go talk to our sponsors.
Because I dunno about you but if Im getting a modded motor like that I would like to know someone with a good reputation built it and will let me know what they recommend on the inside for my application. just my .02 There are a few people that have put LS3s into LSX cars and there were some things that needed to be changed to get it working I hope they chime in good luck with the project and post vids when your done ok!
Yes from what I gathered the Kmember is different along with the fuel stuff, but thats a easy fix. I appreciate all the info. I actually found the Ebay link from this site.... http://www.streetrodengines.com/ Anyone familiar with them? I like it since it comes built with a warranty along with everything for a turnkey set. If there is a vendor here I should contact please let me know. I own a shop so I would be doing the work, I just come from a Ford background.

Thanks again guys, all info is greatly appreciated. I am getting a th700 together now to throw behind it.

Last edited by 97 LS3; 04-13-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Th700R4= cable TB
I think www.streetrodengines.com is kinda pricey. No I never added it up, Just a big hit to take at once.

You can find LS1 k-members on e-bay salv. yards cheap.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:20 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Th700R4= cable TB
I think www.streetrodengines.com is kinda pricey. No I never added it up, Just a big hit to take at once.

You can find LS1 k-members on e-bay salv. yards cheap.
Off the top of my head I think its $6500 for the LS3 crate set up, figure $1.5 K for a cam springs etc.., 1k for the eec/wiring, and thats with a stock bottom end no pump/alt. Thats what I thought at first also.... looks scary when I still need the trans/rear lol
Old 04-13-2010, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

Yeah things can add up fast for sure...Ive been there also keep your eyes open in the for sale adds you might be able to score a built short block that will make the power your looking for as well! Also maybe just start with a stock ls3 crate motor just to get her going if the LS3 is a MUST for this project its gonna cost extra due to the fact its the newst entry ls motor. Is it your primary ride? Again keep your eyes out for motors in he for sale sections find some stout LSX stuff over there and I wounder why no sponsors have chimed in yet, but talk to them too....theres more then one way to the prize man no need to spend unnecessary $$. Call around get pricing look in the want adds keeping your options open will keep costs down. Beleive me when they get out of control the project is no longer a project its a chore so be smart take your time and talk around, all things in life worth doing take a good amount of time and effort search around keep reading. Your bound to find what your looking for also what are your goals?

Last edited by Johnnypappis; 04-13-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:10 AM
FormerVendor

Thanks. Goal is a fun street car, not a daily driver though.

Quick Reply: LS3 swap into a 97 Camaro