Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Corvette Alternator Connector

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 12:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Corvette Alternator Connector

Had a odd experience today taking the Nomad out for some work. Voltmeter was at 11 volts when last week it was at 13.8 volts.

Turns out my less than 1 year old alternator had the connector for the excitation wire split in half leaving the portion against the alternator remain as well as the terminals and the portion with the connector lock has disappeared.

Short of buying a new alternator, is there any way to replace the connector? Or should I just take the excitation wire out of the connector, and put it on by its self making sure it will stay tightly in place?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it the connector on the harness ? or is it the connector in the Alternator..?

If it is just the harness connector.. you can buy the pigtail. Most good parts store will carry some and order other that are not in stock.

If it is inside the alternator. From the last time I took one a part.. The connector is intergrated with the internal Regulator.. ( I could be wrong).. and you can buy the regulator and replace it. (?) but a picture might help id what is bad.....
Old 04-17-2010, 06:27 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bczee is correct, the connector is part of the alternator's internal regulator, if you took it to your local auto electrical shop, they could easily replace it for you. If you've never taken one apart, I would recoomend that method of repair. You could also have they convert it to a one wire alternator and you'd no long need that connection, if it is a mater of the connection on the harness side being broke, they should have that plug for you

If its the 2000 style connector the part number is 12047950
http://connectors.delphi.com/DCSGDMC...umber=12047950

According to Delphi, if that's the correct part, it is replaced by 12186568, which is availiable from Mouser for $1.55 or from your local GM dealer for a little less then $5

Last edited by poconojoe; 04-17-2010 at 06:42 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is the connector in the alternator.

All the searches I have done show the older style regulator, and I haven't looked in the 200 Camaro shop manual to see if they show an exploded view of the alternator.

Thanks for the prompt answers and I'll keep looking.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:40 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by patrick_rodgers
It is the connector in the alternator.

All the searches I have done show the older style regulator, and I haven't looked in the 200 Camaro shop manual to see if they show an exploded view of the alternator.

Thanks for the prompt answers and I'll keep looking.
The connector in the alternator is part of the regulator, you'll need to replace the regulator

Quick Reply: 2000 Corvette Alternator Connector